Carafate relief for GERD/Radiation Induced Esophagitis

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Ajane

Carafate relief for GERD/Radiation Induced Esophagitis

Postby Ajane » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:16 am

I was almost halfway through chemorad for radiation to the mediastinal positive node this past Tuesday when I was ready to quit. The erosive esophagitis was just so painful that I was at my wits end. Nothing was working until my Rad Onc recommended Carafate. It works! I get immediate relief with continued improvement each day. Luckily I don't have any mouth sores, so there's no need to swish (cause it taste absolutely horrid...but still worth it). I crush the pill and dilute it with 1-2 tsp of water, then use a large syringe to drizzle it at the back of my throat. It comes in liquid form but my pharmacist said it's very expensive. 120 pills (calls for 4 a day but I only need to use 1 pill a day) costs over $300. Fortunately I have a really good drug plan that paid in full (just not the liquid form).
I've suffered from laryngopharyngeal reflux for years, but radiation to the esophageal region this time really set the erosive esophagitis off. I have seven more rads and one sensitizing chemo after today. I can do this!
Posting to help anyone else who might be searching in need of relief someday.
Last edited by Ajane on Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7/13, T2, G3, Ultra-low. CEA 5.7 KRAS Wild, MSS
8-9/13 6 wks Xeloda/radiation
12/13 TEM pCR NED
5/15 CEA 4.6 PET 1.5 cm met, UL Lobectomy
6-10/15: Rounds 1-2 Xelox+Avastin; 3-8 Folfox+Avastin
10/15-4/16: 12 rounds Avastin
9/2016 CEA 4.2, 12 mm AP node
11/2016 CEA 4.3. PET/CT. 16mm AP nodal met removed
4 wks chemorad
2/2017 NED CEA 2.4
Carafate to tx esophageal ulcers caused by rad
Avastin maintenance postponed

2 Corinthians 12:9

jhocno197

Re: Carafate relief for GERD/Radiation Induced Esophagitis

Postby jhocno197 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:31 pm

Thanks!!
DH - dx Dec 2014, stage IV with bladder & peritoneal involvement - non-resectable
Colostomy
FOLFOX failed
FOLFIRI failed
Tumor actually distending pelvic skin
Not a candidate for last-ditch pelvic exenteration
Stivarga finally begun 2/19/16
Tumor growing/fungating
Lonsurf started 11/18/16
Died 3/10/17

Pat
Facebook Username: Pat Henderson Sins

Postby Pat » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:06 am

I have Barrett's Esophagus in addition to colon cancer. I'm sure eventually this too will morph into cancer and your info will be much needed. Thanks & hope this treatment continues to benefit you.
57 yr old. Dx 9/2015, Stage IIIc T4aN2bM0 BRAF/V600e
10/2015 Right Hemicolectomy
High Grade, poorly differentiated Adenocarcinoma of the Hepatic Flexure
25 of 30 lymph nodes cancerous extranodal extension
Barrett's Esophagus
11/2015 Folfox 12 cycles stopped 3x for month each due to low blood counts
7/30/2016 - finally finished Folfox
9/15/2016 - Clear colonoscopy, 1 sessile polyp
9/7/2017 - clear colonoscopy, next due in 3 yrs

MissMolly

Postby MissMolly » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:02 pm

Carafate solution is a wonderful medication to ease inflammation and support healing of of the GI tract. Carafate is a pink-colored solution that looks eerily similar to old-faithful PeptoBismol®.

I am corticosteroid dependent due to Addison's disease and suffer from periodic GI bleeds due to tissue thinning. Carafate solution is something that I take on a routine basis to heal my GI tract. My little maltese, Molly, has been prescribed Carafate solution for gastritis.

Carafate solution is a medication to keep in mind if you ever have an occurrence of GI inflammation or ulceration or minor GI bleed. You drink it down and it coats the digestive tract. It is quite palpable. It is like a pink milkshake.
- Karen -
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”