The link for applying to be a "Featured Survivor" is here:
2018 On the Rise Featured Survivor application
After you click on the link, you will first see an overview of the new requirements for being accepted. The magazine is no longer a 12-month calendar, and the "Featured Survivors" have a slightly different set of requirements from those of previous Colondar models.
Last year, some people missed the deadline and therefore were not able to apply, so if this opportunity is of interest to you, be sure you don't miss the deadline. The actual deadline will probably be announced soon by the organizers. Last year, it was March 1st. This year it might be the same -- or they might decide to change it to a different date -- I'm not sure what they have planned. Anyway, here is the basic information:
2018 On the Rise Featured Survivor Application
Before applying, please review the following responsibilities of being a Survivor featured in On the Rise (formerly Colondar 2.0). It is a bit like being selected to be Miss America - for the following year after being selected you are expected to raise awareness, fundraise, advocate and be the voice for change and a CURE (See below)!
What are my responsibilities as an On the Rise Featured Survivor?
As a Featured Survivor in On the Rise you will be featured in The Colon Club’s 2018 annual, colorectal cancer awareness magazine, baring your scar(s) and sharing your journey. On the Rise includes articles about the obstacles that you, as young adults living with CRC, face such as infertility, farting, sex, genetics, body image, ostomy and clinical trials. Knowledge is power and On the Rise is changing the perception of colorectal cancer and how we support, educate, raise awareness and provide hope.
What are my goals as an On The Rise Featured Survivor?
-Raise AWARENESS, FUNDRAISE, ADVOCATE and be the voice of change, prevention, aggressive treatment options and ultimately a CURE!
What do I have to do?
The role of an On the Rise Featured Survivor is to:
- Educate others about the signs & symptoms of colorectal cancer, to know their family history of colon polyps and colorectal cancer, increased risks like Crohn’s and Ulcerative Colitis, as well as precursors such as FAP and Lynch Syndrome: http://colonclub.com/signs-symptoms-of-colon-cancer/.
- Fundraise using your Colon Club fundraising page ($5k goal) in order to "pay it forward" so other survivors can attend "Colon Camp" the following year - just as prior Featured Survivors have done for you ☺!
- Provide leadership, advice and assistance to other CRC community activities:
- *** Attend and promote local awarene and other CRC community news and events on social media.
- *** Like, share, re-tweet Colon Club and other CRC community news and events on social media.
- *** Blogs: share on all social media - comment on, collaborate, etc.
- Promote On the Rise and The Colon Club (TCC) website/organization.
- Act as community liaisons for TCC to the public by sharing TCC/On the Rise news on social media, speaking at local events, fundraising for TCC and selling/distributing On the Rise.
- Regularly communicate with TCC about your fundraising and awareness activities.
- Actively contribute to TCC by participating in discussions, sharing experiences, etc. on social media and with various news outlets (Ex. newspapers, blogs, TV news, radio).
- Provide support to current and previous Featured Survivors by attending events, promoting events online, sharing online fundraising efforts, etc.
- Participate in local CRC events - Get Your Rear in Gear, Call on Congress, Scope It Out 5K, etc.
- Participate/promote The Colon Club’s campaigns, FB page, website & events.
The Colon Club’s Commitment to You - We are here for you!
- Cover the cost of your flight, room and food and drinks while attending Colon Camp. (You are responsible for miscellaneous fees such as: baggage, parking and food during travel).
- Provide you with materials for events, as long as we have a 4-week notice.
- Provide a fundraising page on our website as well as information and support to help you to fundraise.
- Continue to provide opportunities to learn and improve your advocacy skills.
What is my time commitment as an On The Rise Featured Survivor?
- Attend Colon Camp at the Five Star Retreat July 17 - 23, 2017.
- Volunteer! Throughout the year there are always ways to get more involved. We may have additional requests and needs with TCC awareness initiatives and planning.
- One-Year fundraising effort.
- Attend Call on Congress (ConC) in March 13 – 15, 2018 to launch On the Rise (that you are featured in) – you will be responsible for your flight and miscellaneous expenses (luggage, parking, alcohol, food outside of ConC).
If you accept this "mission" then we are happy for you to proceed to the following application!