***News Stories Thread*** ONGOING 2017

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Maggie Nell

Re: ***News Stories Thread*** ONGOING 2017

Postby Maggie Nell » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:03 am

"It all began last year with the tell-tale signs. I went to three different GP’s and it was dismissed by all of them.
Can’t be cancer, you are too young
I heard a lot. Ha what a joke!

When I woke from my slumber after the colonoscopy, in very direct terms I was told I had rectal cancer. Wow doesn’t it hit you right in the face. So scary. I have a young family and a wonderful wife. Not knowing if I was going live or die, all these horrible thoughts go through your mind.

This event has crushed my hopes and dreams. However, most importantly, it has taught me how much I love and appreciate my beautiful wife and family and how important the things are that you take for granted AND what is actually important versus what you think is important.

It is why I have been active in anything I can to raise awareness for bowel cancer. Now getting involved in Decembeard Australia

Go and get a check-up please ASAP! Here's to new dreams and beginnings and opportunities!"

https://www.bowelcanceraustralia.org/la ... -australia
DX April 2015, @ 54
35mm poorly diff. tumour, incidental finding following emergency R. hemicolectomy
for ileo-colic intussusception.
Lymph nodes: 0/22
T3 N0 MX
Stage II CRC, no adjuvant chemo required.

Maggie Nell

Unemployment after cancer – a hidden driver of financial toxicity

Postby Maggie Nell » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:44 pm

Abstract
While financial toxicity due to the high costs of cancer treatment is increasingly recognised as a significant challenge for cancer patients and survivors, the impact of reduced work participation as a major driver of financial toxicity is only just coming to light. Unemployment and reduced employment after a cancer diagnosis is associated with reduced financial reserves, impaired quality of life, and possibly reduced survival. Loss of work after cancer disproportionally impacts on those already more vulnerable, such as low income employees and the very young, with impact persisting for some for many years. Research needs to focus on quantifying and predicting the impact of reduced work participation on quality and quantity of survival, and development of interventions to assist with meaningful work participation for cancer survivors.

https://cancerforum.org.au/forum/2017/j ... -toxicity/
DX April 2015, @ 54
35mm poorly diff. tumour, incidental finding following emergency R. hemicolectomy
for ileo-colic intussusception.
Lymph nodes: 0/22
T3 N0 MX
Stage II CRC, no adjuvant chemo required.

O Stoma Mia

Re: Lifestyle choices condition colon and rectal cancer risk more than genetic

Postby O Stoma Mia » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:26 am

Lifestyle choices condition colon and rectal cancer risk more than genetics
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-03-lifestyle-choices-condition-colon-rectal.html
...10,106 participants ... were interviewed to analyze known risk factors (diet, physical exercise, body mass index, alcohol and family history of cancer, among others) and in a subgroup of 1,336 cases of colorectal cancer and 2,744 controls a blood test was performed to detect the genetic predisposition to develop colon and rectal cancer. With all this information, the research team concluded that lifestyle influences cancer risk more than genetics. They calculated that if a risky lifestyle choice is changed (for example, if a healthy weight is obtained), this can compensate for having 4 genetic risk predisposition points (risk alleles)...

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”