Qigong and Traditional Chinese Medicine to prevent cancer recurrence

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Utwo

Qigong and Traditional Chinese Medicine to prevent cancer recurrence

Postby Utwo » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:14 pm

Recently I have reconnected with my old friend.
It happened that she also had a recent cancer surgery. So we had a lot of common topics to discuss. :(
She is mid-way through her training to become a Dr. of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM).
She believes that Qigong and TCM can prevent cancer recurrence.
She even was able through her connections to find a Dr. of TCM with a good reputation in my own city and recommended me to use her help.
This Dr. of TCM would create a personalised mix of herbs to prevent cancer recurrence.

Have you had any experience with Qigong and TCM?
Do you have any evidence that they can decrease a chance of cancer recurrence?

Although typically herbs are harmless, some herbs are rather potent and I am concerned about a risk of complications e.g. to my heart, liver, kidneys etc.

People discussed quite a few non-traditional treatment options on this forum, including ozone therapy, but I have not found anything on Qigong and TCM.
58 yo male at diagnosis: T1bN0M0, 0/15 nodes, low grade/moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma
03/2016 colonoscopy: 2 small polyps removed in left colon; CEA = 1.3
04/2016 colonoscopy: caecum sessile 3.5 cm polyp piecemeal removed with kind of clear margins
05/2016 "prophylactic" laparoscopic right hemicolectomy - bleeding, leak, infection
06/2017 CT scan, colonoscopy OK; CEA = 1.6
A lot of funny stuff discovered by CT scans in liver, kidney, lungs, arteries, gallbladder, lymph node, pancreas

CRguy

Re: Qigong and Traditional Chinese Medicine to prevent cancer recurrence

Postby CRguy » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:32 am

Have you had any experience with Qigong and TCM?
Do you have any evidence that they can decrease a chance of cancer recurrence?

You may wish to check a SEARCH here, as I know we have had many topics on this over the years.

For the record I am certified in TCM and herbal medicine for animals ( I'm a vet 35+ years )
also a martial arts black belt, with Karate, Taiji, Qigong and meditation on my resumé.
My own Qigong's Sigung comes from a very traditional and revered lineage from Emei Mountain healing Qigong.
His family credits a TCM master with curing his daughter's lymphoma.

I could have chosen any of a number of experts for my therapy.
I chose the best of western medicine experts for my own treatments ... and I am now here pushing 10 years survival.

I practice integrative medicine = bringing everything to bear on the proper diagnosis and treatment for a patient ( or ME ! )
I do not personally support excluding proven science in favour of "alternatives" ....
UNTIL such alternatives are themselves proven superior to other methods.
This is all just my own opinion and I encourage folks to research and decide for themselves, as I have.

IF you decide to follow a Herbal/ TCM path you MUST be working with a TCM practitioner who is skilled in cancer treatments and has success with cancer patients, not just "a friend of a friend" ... JMO.

The only such person I am familiar with is Donald Yance. I would assume there are others but I have no direct information on them, although I had many offers during my own treatments.

I wish you well in your search for further options. Please see what others have to say and continue to ask questions, and provide updates here.
IMO, you will not go wrong studying Taiji and Qigong with a certified master.
I cannot say it will prevent CRC recurrences.

We can ALL ... always learn from each other.

In Harmony
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

lpas

Postby lpas » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:07 am

FYI, I've been working with Donald Yance's clinic since completing chemo in the summer of 2015. Have been pretty impressed with his approach, which is very data-driven. His focus is generally on augmenting, not supplanting, conventional cancer therapies. The guiding theory is that cancer can only thrive when the body is receptive to it. If you can make your body as inhospitable to cancer as possible, you will greatly lessen the likelihood of recurrence. Some examples of pro-cancerous states include chronic inflammation, clotty blood, and elevated growth factors. All of these are problems the right herbal remedies can help to address. If you do a search on his name, you'll find a number of other members who have worked with him as well.

Hope this is helpful. Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info.
11/14 Dx sigmoid CC @ 45yo
12/14 Colectomy + hysterectomy
Stage IIIB, T3N1bM0, 2/20 nodes, MSS, G2, KRAS(A146T), TP53, SMAD4, ERBB2, CEA 1.0
2/15-7/15 XELOX & celecoxib
2/19 clean scope
11/19 clean CT
Ongoing cimetidine & other targeted supplements
Mom to a 6 & 8yo

LMighty

Postby LMighty » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:05 am

My mother is halfway through all Xelox+Avastin injection. She started taking Yunzhi (Coriolus versicolor) capsules as supplement right after the 2nd injection (with of course our onc's approval), of which the side effects were really bad and made her feel hopeless and consider to give up.
Now she has just finish her 6th injection. All side effects have diminished, became manageable to say the least.
Can't say it cures the disease but it seems to really helped relieve all the side effects.
Supporter to my mom (64 yr); KRAS wild type; MSS

2012: DX Stage I, rectal cancer; resection and colostomy
5/16: DX Stage III, mets found; right groin lymph node and soft tissue
5-6/16: Radiation + Xeloda
7/16: DX Stage IV, pleural effusion; cancer cells found in fluid
7-12/16: Xelox + Avastin X 6
1/17: Clean PET scan, NED
2/17: Pleural effusion; recurrence
4/17: Iri + Erb X 3
5/17: Ascites; Chemo failed
6/17: Keytruda X 1
7/17: TECENTRIQ (atezolizumab) + COTELLIC (cobimetinib)
9/17: At peace

Maia

Postby Maia » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:11 pm

Utwo, this is a little outdated (2009) compilation/notes about the Yance protocol, but basically helpful:

http://www.wpb-radon.com/pdf/Brodhead%2 ... ations.pdf

http://balancedconcepts.net/Cancer_Inflammation.pdf

miked

Postby miked » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:13 pm

My wife Angie was diagnosed Stage IV in March 2008, given a one year prognosis. We were recommended to Donny Yance from an Executive Director of Susie's Cause and have used his protocol and conventional treatments since the beginning. He seems to know as much and maybe more about cancer than some oncs. you should check out his books. We contribute much of her success to Yance's custom protocol for Angie, how much of that success we can attribute is anyone's guess, but she has led about a 90% normal life since that time going on almost 9 years. We have had some bumps along the road also which he has adjusted her protocol for and that has helped also. He also will adjust the protocols so they are also chemo protective depending on your line of treatment. My wife's success has amazed the Oncology Team at Sinai Hospital in Baltimore, so much so that the Chief of Oncology invited Yance in to speak to the entire department in October and they are working with a donor to start a Center at Sinai which Yance will oversee with other doctors.
Wife DX 3/08 Stage IV
4 Liver Tumors & Too Many Spots to Count
Xelox/Erbitux 4/08-9/08
10/08 LAR/ 2 Sm Spots Rem Fr. Liver
Irinotecan/Erbitux/Avastin 12/08-04/09
CEA .7-1.5
Maint. Erbitux 10/09 -07/10
07/10 Done Chemo/NED/Yance Protocol Since Day 1

Marylandmaniac

Postby Marylandmaniac » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:00 pm

miked wrote:My wife Angie was diagnosed Stage IV in March 2008, given a one year prognosis. We were recommended to Donny Yance from an Executive Director of Susie's Cause and have used his protocol and conventional treatments since the beginning. He seems to know as much and maybe more about cancer than some oncs. you should check out his books. We contribute much of her success to Yance's custom protocol for Angie, how much of that success we can attribute is anyone's guess, but she has led about a 90% normal life since that time going on almost 9 years. We have had some bumps along the road also which he has adjusted her protocol for and that has helped also. He also will adjust the protocols so they are also chemo protective depending on your line of treatment. My wife's success has amazed the Oncology Team at Sinai Hospital in Baltimore, so much so that the Chief of Oncology invited Yance in to speak to the entire department in October and they are working with a donor to start a Center at Sinai which Yance will oversee with other doctors.

Hi Miked,

I sent you a PM. SO excited to hear that there might be a clinic here in Baltimore. Would love to hear more about your experience with Donald Yance.
DX 6/29/16 7 cm tumor, 10 cm fr av
CT scan ab,MRI abdomen - 9mm spot on liver,CT scan of chest lungs clear
Special staging MRI - clinical staging stage 3b - T3N2M0 (unless spot proves to be met)
8/11 PET scan - spot lit up not nodes
8/16 Port in, 8/17 liver microwave abltn - spot gone
8/23 6 rds FOLFOX started
PET scan 10-13 43% red of tumor and no mets shown
Exam tumor greatly reduced. Surgery 12-14-16.
Clear margins, 7 out of 13 nodes positive. Tumor 2.1 cm
Kras wild, MMS, not MSI. 6 more rds FOLFOX

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:34 pm

Good to see you posting miked !
Best wishes to you and Angie

Marylandmaniac here is the list of his posts back to 2009, which you can peruse until he gets back to you.
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&author_id=4151

Harmony all
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Marylandmaniac

Postby Marylandmaniac » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:45 am

CRguy wrote:Good to see you posting miked !
Best wishes to you and Angie

Marylandmaniac here is the list of his posts back to 2009, which you can peruse until he gets back to you.
http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com ... or_id=4151

Harmony all
CRguy

Thanks CRguy! He did message me. It is nice looking back at his posts though. Love hearing stories of people who are survivors.
DX 6/29/16 7 cm tumor, 10 cm fr av
CT scan ab,MRI abdomen - 9mm spot on liver,CT scan of chest lungs clear
Special staging MRI - clinical staging stage 3b - T3N2M0 (unless spot proves to be met)
8/11 PET scan - spot lit up not nodes
8/16 Port in, 8/17 liver microwave abltn - spot gone
8/23 6 rds FOLFOX started
PET scan 10-13 43% red of tumor and no mets shown
Exam tumor greatly reduced. Surgery 12-14-16.
Clear margins, 7 out of 13 nodes positive. Tumor 2.1 cm
Kras wild, MMS, not MSI. 6 more rds FOLFOX

dudette

Postby dudette » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:13 pm

Every time I visit this board I learn something new and valuable. Amazing.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.
Temi
Dx 03/2015 @ age 41 - CC stage IV - pT3 N2b (14/29) cM1 (hep) L1 V1 Pn1 R1
Wild K-RAS, N-RAS, BRAF / MSS
unresectable mets liver 60% + lungs
Surgery
04/15 - sigmoid resect.
07/16 - hysterectomy (ovaries)
Chemo
05-06/15 - 4 x Folfirinox
12/15 - 02/16 4 x Xeliri + Avastin
03-05/16 9 x Xeloda
09-12/16 Folfiri + Cetuximab