Has anyone heard of schools helping out if you have to move out of state for a month or so?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Nik Colon

Re: Has anyone heard of schools helping out if you have to move out of state for a month or so?

Postby Nik Colon » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:31 am

CarolA wrote:Hi,
When I am teaching I usually take on extra assignments called home hospital assignments for children that are out for various health reasons. It is sometime for students with cancer... but there are many many reasons why they can't attend the normal classroom. I go to their home with work planned by their teacher and teach for an hour a day five days a week.

That being said, maybe her current school could contact the school she would be attending and set up something like this.... I don't know the specifics of the temporary living arrangements and if an adult will be at the home , if an adult won't be there the home hospital teacher could come to the hospital....

I'm just throwing out ideas to consider. They may not lead to a solution but at least you will know to ask if this could be an option.....

Maybe your district could hire through the treatment location district a home hospital teacher....?

Thanks again, I will check into it if needed

Lee

Re: Has anyone heard of schools helping out if you have to move out of state for a month or so?

Postby Lee » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:22 am

OK, my friend spoke to her daughter. Each school district is different, so what applies to one district may or may not apply to another. Because her son is not leaving his district, the simple solution is a teacher will go to his home and work with him each day until he is able to return back to his school. Because you may be leaving one district for another, you may or may not be able to do that. Talk to your daughter's school, I'm sure your not the first person who is doing/considering this. If nothing else, home schooling may be the best solution.

My husband is a mentor for a robotic high school team. There are several teams made up soly of home school kids. They are well adjusted kids.

All the best,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:26 pm

Lee wrote:OK, my friend spoke to her daughter. Each school district is different, so what applies to one district may or may not apply to another. Because her son is not leaving his district, the simple solution is a teacher will go to his home and work with him each day until he is able to return back to his school. Because you may be leaving one district for another, you may or may not be able to do that. Talk to your daughter's school, I'm sure your not the first person who is doing/considering this. If nothing else, home schooling may be the best solution.

My husband is a mentor for a robotic high school team. There are several teams made up soly of home school kids. They are well adjusted kids.

All the best,

Lee

Thanks, I did briefly ask the school when I called and it sounds like there may be something. If not, I have been looking into home schooling. Of course, there are just steps thinking in advance since I don't have all the details yet, but I want to have a plan ready.

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:46 pm

Nik Colon wrote:
Thanks, I did briefly ask the school when I called and it sounds like there may be something. If not, I have been looking into home schooling. Of course, there are just steps thinking in advance since I don't have all the details yet, but I want to have a plan ready.

If your daughter has any math/science interest or just being a part of something good, I HIGHLY recommend "FIRST Robotic". Look it up. This is something NASA and Disney have been involved with since day 1. Earlier this year, my husband's school took 1st on a regional level and got to go to world event in St Louis. As one mother put it "where else can you have a 1/2 million teenagers and NOT one cuss word". A new program starts January 7, 2017.

They have programs for middle/jr high school and of course high school. If not at her school, there are plenty of schools out there involved with this. Maybe a nice diversion for your daughter with all that is happening at home.

All the best,

Lee
46 yrs old at diagnoses
radiation - 6 weeks
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:52 pm

Lee wrote:
Nik Colon wrote:

If your daughter has any math/science interest or just being a part of something good, I HIGHLY recommend "FIRST Robotic". Look it up. This is something NASA and Disney have been involved with since day 1. Earlier this year, my husband's school took 1st on a regional level and got to go to world event in St Louis. As one mother put it "where else can you have a 1/2 million teenagers and NOT one cuss word". A new program starts January 7, 2017.

They have programs for middle/jr high school and of course high school. If not at her school, there are plenty of schools out there involved with this. Maybe a nice diversion for your daughter with all that is happening at home.

All the best,

Lee

She is great at math and science (same as I was), but her love is art/drawing, either on paper or computer. Her 3 (choice) courses are all art and she excels in them. Although she is good in math and science, she's not all that interested in them. She wants to pursue some sort of art in the future.

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:59 pm

Nik Colon wrote:
Lee wrote:She is great at math and science (same as I was), but her love is art/drawing, either on paper or computer. Her 3 (choice) courses are all art and she excels in them. Although she is good in math and science, she's not all that interested in them. She wants to pursue some sort of art in the future.

That is good, she has a passion. Right now, that is a good thing and just might help her with the challenges she is facing at the moment. I wish her all the best.

Hugs to you both,

Lee
46 yrs old at diagnoses
radiation - 6 weeks
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX

spinnz
Facebook Username: Diana Wiseley

Postby spinnz » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:25 pm

Dear Nic,
Your child's school should be able to meet your family's needs. I was too lazy to check out what state you live in, but here in Ohio we will do whatever it takes for a child to be educated when there is a family illness or a child's illness. We often use Skype at our School District to help families who have to travel for medical needs. It is just a part of our homeschooling effort. Your child should be excused from school for her own illness or for the illness of a close family member. If your District does not cooperate offer to transfer your child via open District to another school system. With today's technology, there should be many options open to you and your family. Let me know if you need any more help. Your daughter needs to be with you those of us who are truly Educators understand this need.
Dx age 53 10/8/15
Lap/robotic converted to open sigmoid colectomy, partial small-bowel resection and right salpingo-oophorectomy 10-9-15
CRC stage 3b, T3N1aM0
Margins clear of malignancy
1/27 lymph nodes
Well differentiated
CAT / MRI's indicate NED
FOLFOX + Neulasta- 2 rounds 11/15
Xeloda, 1 week on 1 week off 1/16- 5/16
1/5/16 CEA 1.0, 5/16, 1.0
Factor 13-bleeding disorder
NEW DX
11/15/18 IDC

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:47 pm

spinnz wrote:Dear Nic,
Your child's school should be able to meet your family's needs. I was too lazy to check out what state you live in, but here in Ohio we will do whatever it takes for a child to be educated when there is a family illness or a child's illness. We often use Skype at our School District to help families who have to travel for medical needs. It is just a part of our homeschooling effort. Your child should be excused from school for her own illness or for the illness of a close family member. If your District does not cooperate offer to transfer your child via open District to another school system. With today's technology, there should be many options open to you and your family. Let me know if you need any more help. Your daughter needs to be with you those of us who are truly Educators understand this need.

Thank you

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”