Has anyone heard of schools helping out if you have to move out of state for a month or so?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Nik Colon

Has anyone heard of schools helping out if you have to move out of state for a month or so?

Postby Nik Colon » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:48 am

My big issue is my daughter, she is really having a tough time. Monday no school, but the last 3 days, went twice, came home right away, once just stayed home. They know the situation. She is having a really hard time, but her grades are great! All A's and 2 Bs. Anyway. I was thinking if I went for a trial out of state, I would ask her school to do live class. We would pay if needed so she could go with (I know she couldn't not be with me). So, depending, just another option/thing I was thinking. Live class, email her work and she can print, scan and send back. Other than actual online schooling. I don't know any doing this yet here anyway ,except actual online school, not what I want (unless others I don't know about). It would be good all around, for me, the school, CRC, you name it. Just thinking at this point, what do you think?

DH2Sleen

Re: Has anyone heard of schools helping out if you have to move out of state for a month or so?

Postby DH2Sleen » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:24 am

We homeschool and there are lots of online support schools for homeschoolers. I don't know MN rules for that. If you don't think online will work for you, then I don't know how you would manage it.
DW, Sleen dx 9/2013 @47yo: IIIc T4b N2b MX
9/2013 colectomy
10/2013 - 3/2014 FOLFOX
4/2014 - 6/2014 Rad to bladder
12/2014 +'ve for lung mets, MX becomes M1
3/2015 enter TIL trial @ NIH
7/1/15 Receive 148E9 cells to target K-ras G12D mutation
8/11/15 Reduction=18%, no new tumors
9/15/15 25%
10/20/15 27%; PET -> one hot met
11/24/15 30% all mets shrinking
1/26/16 46% but one suspicious met
3/24/16 46% but one growing
4/7/16 Lung lobectomy NED for the first time
3/3/20 Still NED "cured"

Soccermom2boys

Re: Has anyone heard of schools helping out if you have to move out of state for a month or so?

Postby Soccermom2boys » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:36 am

Hey Nic--

In this day and age, it is absolutely easier for kids to stay connected to their studies while not being physically at the building. I am a high school teacher so I know there are options out there--best thing to do is contact her guidance counselor ASAP just to see what all is available through her school. What grade is she in? If in middle or elementary in some ways that is a little easier than the rigor of high school. It can be done as long as she will have access to the internet and has teachers who are willing to make it successful, which I am guessing they will be. Do not stress yourself or her over this, it can absolutely work out and be successful. As I said, start now with contact to her teachers and guidance counselor.

Good luck with doing what you need to in order to maintain health and happiness. <3
8/3/15 Went in with a hemorrhoid, came out with a tumor
8/12/15 Biopsy from colonoscopy confirms RC (45 yrs old--zero family history!)
9/21 - 10/29/15 chemorad 28 tx (with Xeloda)
12/17/15 APR with perm colostomy
Pathology report stages me as IIIA (T2N1M0)--1/15 LN detects cancer
2/3/16 chemo port inserted
2/8-6/2/16 8 rounds of Folfox

Utwo

Postby Utwo » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:47 pm

Please be aware of all tradeoffs.
Homeschooled children may lack social skills.
They do not know how to play in a sandbox nicely.
58 yo male at diagnosis: T1bN0M0, 0/15 nodes, low grade/moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma
03/2016 colonoscopy: 2 small polyps removed in left colon; CEA = 1.3
04/2016 colonoscopy: caecum sessile 3.5 cm polyp piecemeal removed with kind of clear margins
05/2016 "prophylactic" laparoscopic right hemicolectomy - bleeding, leak, infection
06/2017 CT scan, colonoscopy OK; CEA = 1.6
A lot of funny stuff discovered by CT scans in liver, kidney, lungs, arteries, gallbladder, lymph node, pancreas

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:11 pm

She is 13, in 8th grade. Thanks for the advise.

WarriorSpouse

Postby WarriorSpouse » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:45 pm

Hey Nik,

If her JR-HS does not have a high speed tech department then ask her counselor to seek out assistance from the High School Techies (employees or students)... I know some classrooms have cameras installed for monitoring the students and teachers. If the High School has a portable system, maybe they can record the classes and upload them on the school's website for her to review. It is worth asking.

Another option is to find a similar school where you are travelling to and see if they will host her as a temporary exchange student. The classes are already on going and maybe she can do it as a cultural exchange with band, choir, or between the language departments.
Good luck in your research and getting well.

Thank you for all of the input that you provide on this forum... I learn much from your posts:)

WS
D/H 47 years old, 10/2014, Stage IV M/CRC, nodes 12/15, para-aortic, 5 cm sigmoid resection, positive Virchow. KRAS mut, MSS, Highly Differentiated, Lynch Neg, 5FU/LV and Avastin 1 YR (Oxi for 5 months), Zeloda/Bev since 01/2016. 02/2019 recurrence para-nodes, back to 5FU/LV Oxy/Bev. It is working again. "...Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other."-Walter Elliot

jhocno197

Postby jhocno197 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:28 pm

My homeschooled children - and all the homeschool children I have ever known - are not lacking in social skills, and are in fact friendlier and more considerate, making a point to include everyone and be as helpful as possible to everyone, than many other children. They play in the sandbox quite well, utwo.

Utwo wrote:Please be aware of all tradeoffs.
DH - dx Dec 2014, stage IV with bladder & peritoneal involvement - non-resectable
Colostomy
FOLFOX failed
FOLFIRI failed
Tumor actually distending pelvic skin
Not a candidate for last-ditch pelvic exenteration
Stivarga finally begun 2/19/16
Tumor growing/fungating
Lonsurf started 11/18/16
Died 3/10/17

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:34 pm

Thanks WS, and I agree with you jh. Also, from looking into home schooling myself and knowing others that have done it, I know they are not antisocial and also many programs have some form of interaction activities they do.

Maggie Nell

Postby Maggie Nell » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:32 am

Are there still sandboxes in the 21st century? I thought they had been banned because of
the identified health risks from tomcats doing their business in - what to them - is one
huge toilet!

Doncha just love it when an obsolete and stagnant negative stereotype is rolled out like it's a truth?

I am very sure that Nik's daughter is way ahead of the curve when it comes to being an intelligent,
considerate and compassionate human being who, as she matures, will know when to
kick sand over hot steaming BS.
DX April 2015, @ 54
35mm poorly diff. tumour, incidental finding following emergency R. hemicolectomy
for ileo-colic intussusception.
Lymph nodes: 0/22
T3 N0 MX
Stage II CRC, no adjuvant chemo required.

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:34 am

Maggie Nell wrote:

Are there still sandboxes in the 21st century? I thought they had been banned because of
the identified health risks from tomcats doing their business in - what to them - is one
huge toilet!

Doncha just love it when an obsolete and stagnant negative stereotype is rolled out like it's a truth?

I am very sure that Nik's daughter is way ahead of the curve when it comes to being an intelligent,
considerate and compassionate human being who, as she matures, will know when to
kick sand over hot steaming BS.

LOL, thanks :mrgreen:

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:36 pm

I believe her school should be able to do something.

A good friend of mine, her grandson is going to have major surgery in January (his senior yr) and will out of school for 5 or 6 weeks. The school will be working with him and he will graduate with his class. I will see this friend on Monday or Tuesday, I will ask her what exactly what the school is doing and will post here. Maybe it might help.

All the best,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:26 pm

Lee wrote:I believe her school should be able to do something.

A good friend of mine, her grandson is going to have major surgery in January (his senior yr) and will out of school for 5 or 6 weeks. The school will be working with him and he will graduate with his class. I will see this friend on Monday or Tuesday, I will ask her what exactly what the school is doing and will post here. Maybe it might help.

All the best,

Lee

Thanks

CarolA
Facebook Username: Carol

Postby CarolA » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:14 pm

If you will be needing this in the near future and her Jr. Has the ability to be online while the teachers from her classes are teaching you may need to be aware of a law we have here in California. You may need to get a signed released from each parent in her classes if they will be seen online..... not sure.... but I'm a second grade teacher, anytime I want to videotape my class for online upload or post photos online I need a signed released. Any parent opposed to the agreement I just place them out of view of the camera. Just wanted to throw that out there.... prayers she can be with you....god bless you on your journey.
DX Stage IIIB rectal cancer 12/22/15
T3 N1b M0
Grade: 3
2/11/16 Surgery LAR
3/28/16 began 6 wks. 5FU w/ radiation
5/18/16 began Folfox 2 down 10 to go
6/15/16 series of neupogen shots
6/22/16 Folfox 3 down 9 to go continue now on Neulasta shots
10/5/16 Folfox 8.... neuropathy beginning in my toes and finger tips
12/16/16 last Folfox treatment
12/29/16 Ct/Pet scan NED :D
1/27/17 colonoscopy shows scar tissue - needs surgery

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:23 pm

CarolA wrote:If you will be needing this in the near future and her Jr. Has the ability to be online while the teachers from her classes are teaching you may need to be aware of a law we have here in California. You may need to get a signed released from each parent in her classes if they will be seen online..... not sure.... but I'm a second grade teacher, anytime I want to videotape my class for online upload or post photos online I need a signed released. Any parent opposed to the agreement I just place them out of view of the camera. Just wanted to throw that out there.... prayers she can be with you....god bless you on your journey.

Thanks

CarolA
Facebook Username: Carol

Postby CarolA » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:43 pm

Hi,
When I am teaching I usually take on extra assignments called home hospital assignments for children that are out for various health reasons. It is sometime for students with cancer... but there are many many reasons why they can't attend the normal classroom. I go to their home with work planned by their teacher and teach for an hour a day five days a week.

That being said, maybe her current school could contact the school she would be attending and set up something like this.... I don't know the specifics of the temporary living arrangements and if an adult will be at the home , if an adult won't be there the home hospital teacher could come to the hospital....

I'm just throwing out ideas to consider. They may not lead to a solution but at least you will know to ask if this could be an option.....

Maybe your district could hire through the treatment location district a home hospital teacher....?
DX Stage IIIB rectal cancer 12/22/15
T3 N1b M0
Grade: 3
2/11/16 Surgery LAR
3/28/16 began 6 wks. 5FU w/ radiation
5/18/16 began Folfox 2 down 10 to go
6/15/16 series of neupogen shots
6/22/16 Folfox 3 down 9 to go continue now on Neulasta shots
10/5/16 Folfox 8.... neuropathy beginning in my toes and finger tips
12/16/16 last Folfox treatment
12/29/16 Ct/Pet scan NED :D
1/27/17 colonoscopy shows scar tissue - needs surgery