2nd colon resection surgery planned in August was cancelled after they went in and saw liver tumors (not expected) so promoted to stage 4
and decided to put me on Folfiri (with 4 rounds of Avastin) and shrink or stabilize them
had MRI this past Thursday, saw surgeon Friday -was expecting date for surgery --still with tumor in colon and have at least 8 (prob 10-12 peppercorn nodules on liver )-very small, right and left sides, I mentioned SIR, he felt tumors to small to be treated yet with it
now surgeon saying keep on Folfiri, surgery not an option or not needed at this point-we actually asked is this going to be a chronic situation (maybe I should be happy) or is it terminal --he said we are all terminal, I don't think he meant anything harmful but he truly seemed on edge, we are very happy with him and the hospital (UMMC)-he will present to his tumor board Tuesday to see if anyone there would have another option, we see oncologist next week-routine visit
he offered/suggested a 2nd opinion to verify/alleviate our fears and suggested Univ. OF Penn-he will get us a name--we live in NJ (-not going to MSK-saw them initially as 2nd opinion in 2014-they suggested same course local oncologist was using, (and that it was fine with them to proceed with him) when we reached out to them in 2016 with new colon tumor , they said thanks but no thanks-because we had our treatment elsewhere
it just seems he feels why do surgery now when chemo keeping the tumors at bay--I just want them gone!!
anyone in this situation with prolonged Folfiri treatment
opinions Univ. of Penn
Colon Ca surgery 8/28/14-open laparotomy, hemicolectomy, 1 area 1/23 nodes positive, left hemicolectomy site, 10/34 nodes positive
6 months chemo FolFox (oxyplatin held 2 doses neuropathy
2015 scope April clear
CT 3/2015 no disease some lung nodule
CT 7/15 lung nodules stable
CEA up 10.8 in Sept-CEA 19.3 in Oct.
CT/PET November 11mm left para aortic lymph node
HIPEC? proton therapy?
March 2015 Folfiri /Avastin 6 treatments
can't find tumor
May 2015-CEA rising-waiting on tumor