Popcorn lung nodules?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
CLD

Popcorn lung nodules?

Postby CLD » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:44 pm

Does anyone have any experience or information about popcorn lung nodules? DH came home from 2 year scan (results Dec 7) and got a call from his brother, age 42, that am xray due to bronchitis revealed both of his lungs are full of popcorn looking nodules and he will have a biopsy Mon. Of course he is thinking cancer. Any thought are appreciated.
Wife to DH/ Father of 6 (age 42 at dx) diagnosed Jan 2015 stage IIIC
Tumor deposit in mesentery 13/24 lymph nodes +
CEA at dx: 5
MSS
Low Grade/Mod. Diff.
FOLFOX 6 months
N.E.D until June 2018
PET Scan 6/18
Biopsy confirms cancer in 3 Paraaortic lymph nodes
Folfiri + Avastin (6tx) and Xeloda during radiation
Cancer all over both lungs dx Jan 2019
FOLFIRI +AVASTIN presently

CRguy

Re: Popcorn lung nodules?

Postby CRguy » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:30 pm

While we on this "cancer" forum always seem to go to the "C" diagnosis first :twisted:
I will break with tradition and ( based on vet experiences ) once again caution that there a lotta things which can cause lung thangs
SO the biopsy is THE best way to get a handle on this.

Depending upon xray exact patterns / appearances etc. the docs may also be concerned about some different types of mycoses ( fungal infections ),
certain bacterial infections, inhaled toxicants, environmental exposures .... etc. etc. ... just OTTOMH ( off the top of my head )

They may also consider a CT or PET/CT ?
the biopsy "should" be the gold standard for the lung lesions, JMO.

Whatever it is ... it IS excellent that the docs are jumping on this and getting right to the pathology level
tho' your B-I-L may not think so right now

Best wishes to him
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:10 am

Just a thought. My hub works with a guy who on a month long vacation went in for something and after an xray was told he had lung cancer. After spending his entire vacation seeing multiple docs, it turned out to be (I believe) sarcoidosis. So, that is just one thing that I know could look like cancer. Hope all goes well and it is indeed not cancer. Best wishes
Last edited by Nik Colon on Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maia

Postby Maia » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:11 am

CRguy wrote: there a lotta things which can cause lung thangs
SO the biopsy is THE best way to get a handle on this.

Depending upon xray exact patterns / appearances etc. the docs may also be concerned about some different types of mycoses ( fungal infections ),
certain bacterial infections, inhaled toxicants, environmental exposures .... etc. etc. ...

Yes, that's so true... it's such a long list. There is even a kind of benign (no cancerous) neoplasms called pulmonary hamartomas that look like popcorn when calcificated --but again, they are not cancer. If that's the case, it's great they found this because it could give him symptoms. Biopsy is THE best way to know exactly what's going on and then take the best coure of action --totally agree with CRguy. Best of luck.

CLD

Postby CLD » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:42 am

Thank you all for your replies. Coincidentally, both DH and his brother have worked with pollutants, toxins, asbestos and both have been deep inside nuclear power plants for years. My BIL, for the past 2 years (while DH being treated) has been working on a billion dollar construction site where they are building a "cracker" plant. He has also been trying to quit smoking and has been vaping. My online research shows this can really mess up your lungs, BIG TIME. Thank you again for your replies.
Wife to DH/ Father of 6 (age 42 at dx) diagnosed Jan 2015 stage IIIC
Tumor deposit in mesentery 13/24 lymph nodes +
CEA at dx: 5
MSS
Low Grade/Mod. Diff.
FOLFOX 6 months
N.E.D until June 2018
PET Scan 6/18
Biopsy confirms cancer in 3 Paraaortic lymph nodes
Folfiri + Avastin (6tx) and Xeloda during radiation
Cancer all over both lungs dx Jan 2019
FOLFIRI +AVASTIN presently