Starting immunotherapy

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
michellecairn
Facebook Username: Michelle Pulera

Re: Starting immunotherapy

Postby michellecairn » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:28 pm

Hi Plastikos

I started pembrolizumab March 24th of this year. I’m receiving a dose of 2mg per kg of body weight, so my dose has fluctuated as I have lost some weight.

I get my treatments every 3 weeks (I actually have my 13th treatment in the morning). They give me 25 mg of Benadryl and 1000 mg of Tylenol as my pre-meds.

After my first 2 infusions I did experience a fever that lasted about a week each time, but my doctor chalked it up to mean that it was working since that’s usually what happens when our immune system is trying to fight off something.

I should mention that I have not had any type of surgery whatsoever for my cancer other than biopsies that were taken from the colonoscopy and a laparoscopic procedure that found the cancer. I have a large amount of ascites so that may be the contributing factor in my specific side effects.
I’ve noticed that lately after my infusions I feel a bit “off” for a few days. I just don’t have a ton of energy but I am still able to get up and do things. I do experience bouts of nausea, but those come and go.

I do also go in once a week for fluids (a large bag of saline, 4mg of dexamethasone, and 8mg of Zofran). I also have been taking a 1mg pill of dexamethasone on non-fluid days to help with my appetite as I had been steadily losing about 2 pounds a week and the doctor wants to get my weight stabilized since I have lost about 50 pounds since February.
I had disease progression while on chemotherapy, but since I have been on the pembrolizumab I have been considered stable. No new growth or spread.
Hope this helps.
Stage IV
DX: 10-7-15 colon cancer (signet ring cell)
CEA: 10-4-15: 9.5, 2-8-16: 42.5, 3-7-16: 22.6, 5-26-16: 18.8, 7-27-16: 14.3, 10-20-16: 21.1
abnormal MSH6 and BARD1
KRAS: wild type
MSI High
Lynch positive
11-16-15: 1 round Folfirinox/5FU, 5 rounds folfox/5FU , 4 with Avastin
2-8-16: Chemo not working
3-7-16: back to folfox/Avastin/5FU
3-24-16: Keytruda
2-23-17: FAILED Keytruda
3-2-17: Erbitux
3-30-17: Erbitux + Irinotecan
5-25-17: FAILED Erbitux + Irinotecan

plastikos

Postby plastikos » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:34 am

michellecairn wrote:Hi Plastikos

I started pembrolizumab March 24th of this year. I’m receiving a dose of 2mg per kg of body weight, so my dose has fluctuated as I have lost some weight.

I get my treatments every 3 weeks (I actually have my 13th treatment in the morning). They give me 25 mg of Benadryl and 1000 mg of Tylenol as my pre-meds.

After my first 2 infusions I did experience a fever that lasted about a week each time, but my doctor chalked it up to mean that it was working since that’s usually what happens when our immune system is trying to fight off something.

I should mention that I have not had any type of surgery whatsoever for my cancer other than biopsies that were taken from the colonoscopy and a laparoscopic procedure that found the cancer. I have a large amount of ascites so that may be the contributing factor in my specific side effects.
I’ve noticed that lately after my infusions I feel a bit “off” for a few days. I just don’t have a ton of energy but I am still able to get up and do things. I do experience bouts of nausea, but those come and go.

I do also go in once a week for fluids (a large bag of saline, 4mg of dexamethasone, and 8mg of Zofran). I also have been taking a 1mg pill of dexamethasone on non-fluid days to help with my appetite as I had been steadily losing about 2 pounds a week and the doctor wants to get my weight stabilized since I have lost about 50 pounds since February.
I had disease progression while on chemotherapy, but since I have been on the pembrolizumab I have been considered stable. No new growth or spread.
Hope this helps.

It does help Michelle. Thank you. Glad to know there has been no progression on your end.
St. IV Colon CA @ 37, male, Kras wild, MSI-high (2014)
11/2014 Right Hemicolectomy + Liver Resection
12/2014 - 6/2015 FOLFOX + Cetuximab
10/2015 - Recurrence liver
Liver resection 10/2015
FOLFIRI 11/2015 - 5/2016
Recurrence liver, nodes 11/2016
Pembrolizumab started 12/2016 -> pseudoprogression(?) -> biliary obstruction -> biliary stenting
Chemo 4x: most mets inactive and smaller on PET-CT
March 2017 - Back on Pembrolizumab again
Sept 2017 - SIRT - > NED
2019 NED

Steph20021

Postby Steph20021 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:10 am

Hi Michelle,
Just curious if you are still without liver and lung mets too? I'm almost 3 years out from dx and still none but I have scan results on the way so we will see.

michellecairn wrote:Hi Plastikos

Hope this helps.
DX 1/31/14 @ 33- SPS-T4a(invades visceral peri), N2a(6/106 LN), M1a(ovary) (Stage 4a) MSS; BRAF V600E
2/1/14-subtotal col, lost R ovary, temp ileo
3/14-9/14- folfox; sepsis
11/14-CT/PET: L ovary met, pelvic met, (?)ghost liver met(?)
12/14-folfiri -13 rds kept me stable from 3/15-6/15
8/15-HIPEC, NED
09/15- cea 0.9
05/16- recurrence in abdo wall and lymph nodes
01/17- pulmonary embolism
02/17- 1 wk radiation to abdo wall
08/16- on folfiri
01/18-folfox
11/18- Beacon trial-encorafenib & cetuximab

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”