Every ache causes worry??

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
AussieAssCancer

Re: Every ache causes worry??

Postby AussieAssCancer » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:03 am

I'm with you! I have my CT scan next week (8mths post surgery and 1st since finishing treatment) and the last couple of weeks have been paranoid that my neck lymph nodes are swollen and of course it has to be metastasis!

Any time my nodes swell up or I have a pain in my stomach/side, the same thing!

I don't think that will ever change, despite the confidence of my docs in regards my future and prognosis. Hopefully the anxiety for both of us gets better with time!

GK
Dx Oct '15 w/ Stage 3c RC/ CEA 8
Nov '15 - Jan '16: 3x FOLFOX and 5wks Chemoradiation w/ Xeloda
March '16: ULAR w/ temp ileostomy
Complete pathological response incl 0/12 nodes
May - Aug '16: 9x FOLFOX (dropped Oxaliplatin for final Rd due to neuropathy)
Clear CT scans in April ‘16 (NED), Dec ‘16, Aug ‘17, Feb ‘18, March ‘19, Feb ‘20
Feb '17: Ileostomy reversed
CEA Post Surgery: ALWAYS 2

Blog: kickingrectalcancerintheassblog
https://kickingrectalcancerintheassblog.wordpress.com/

Pita

Postby Pita » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:14 am

AussieAssCancer wrote:I'm with you! I have my CT scan next week (8mths post surgery and 1st since finishing treatment) and the last couple of weeks have been paranoid that my neck lymph nodes are swollen and of course it has to be metastasis!

Any time my nodes swell up or I have a pain in my stomach/side, the same thing!

I don't think that will ever change, despite the confidence of my docs in regards my future and prognosis. Hopefully the anxiety for both of us gets better with time!
GK

I just came off of a big depression period and alienated myself from most going on around me. Finally broke down and went to Doc and he doubled my anti-depressant meds and I've allowed myself to be more active taking Ativan to calm down.
I think it gets better GK, sometimes some of us need help. When my head is straight, I've learned to wait fairly patiently, don't worry about the scan date or scan and don't think beyond the end of two weeks. You are ahead me so not sure how I'll be as I reach the end of treatment, Onc originally said 22 months=Nov 2017 but now says possibly May 2017. Whatever, doesn't matter as long as I'm still here.
My biggest problem is I get all of my results before I see my Onc or Doc and worry about a negative change till it's discussed. Hubby can't stand that I do this but I've learned to work the systems and if I have a procedure on Monday with results in 3 days, I see Onc every other week on Tues and I can't wait 5 days for discussion when I have report in hand. Sorry for writing a book...

Best wishes to you and prayers all is NED... oxo
70yo Fem DX: 1/21/2016 RC Stage IV-Nodules lungs
MSS-Kras Wild-Lynch Synd Neg-Lung Biopsy 1/27/16-Port 2/19/16
MRI 7/7/16 Endometrial polyp found, watching LAR 7/19/16, No Ileostomy, Stage ypT3 N1
CT 11/7/16: Most mets stable,1 shrunk,1 new??
CEA Tests: 1/21/16=20, 12/22/16=5.3, 1/20/17=4.8, 2/15/17=6.2
9/20/16-1/24/17 Folfuri & Avastin
#10/10 Done
PET/CT 2/10/16-1/31/17=Some shrunk & growth to 2, Avastin failing ??? :evil:
2/21/17 Folfuri & Avastin

AussieAssCancer

Postby AussieAssCancer » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:08 am

Thanks Pita! I won't get the official results until the Monday (scan on Wed) but I will get the scans always have a look and compare them to my previous ones. I'm expecting that all should be fine but that doesn't stop from worrying :|

I'm sorry that you had a bad run recently but happy that you're addressing it!

Here's to good scans for all :D
Dx Oct '15 w/ Stage 3c RC/ CEA 8
Nov '15 - Jan '16: 3x FOLFOX and 5wks Chemoradiation w/ Xeloda
March '16: ULAR w/ temp ileostomy
Complete pathological response incl 0/12 nodes
May - Aug '16: 9x FOLFOX (dropped Oxaliplatin for final Rd due to neuropathy)
Clear CT scans in April ‘16 (NED), Dec ‘16, Aug ‘17, Feb ‘18, March ‘19, Feb ‘20
Feb '17: Ileostomy reversed
CEA Post Surgery: ALWAYS 2

Blog: kickingrectalcancerintheassblog
https://kickingrectalcancerintheassblog.wordpress.com/

Marylandmaniac

Postby Marylandmaniac » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:52 pm

Yes my dog is a big comfort to me. He is laying next to me as I write this. :) I guess when you feel and think you are 100% healthy you overlook those little twinges and aches. But once you hear the words "You have a tumor" life changes. I was volunteering at my son's school today. They were asking about future dates and I told the women I was having surgery in two weeks. She asked what for and so I explained I have the C. She was shocked. Everyone is because I don't look sick. It makes me wonder how many people I see that I think are healthy and maybe they are going through what I am.
DX 6/29/16 7 cm tumor, 10 cm fr av
CT scan ab,MRI abdomen - 9mm spot on liver,CT scan of chest lungs clear
Special staging MRI - clinical staging stage 3b - T3N2M0 (unless spot proves to be met)
8/11 PET scan - spot lit up not nodes
8/16 Port in, 8/17 liver microwave abltn - spot gone
8/23 6 rds FOLFOX started
PET scan 10-13 43% red of tumor and no mets shown
Exam tumor greatly reduced. Surgery 12-14-16.
Clear margins, 7 out of 13 nodes positive. Tumor 2.1 cm
Kras wild, MMS, not MSI. 6 more rds FOLFOX

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:02 pm

When I first started, I would do the scans then wait a few days to go back in, etc. After I learned from here and asking, I found out I could see my onc the next day (as long as she is there), so now, I always schedule my next scan right after my current results and make sure I get my scan and onc appointment the next day, no more waiting.

AppleTree

Postby AppleTree » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:05 am

That is so me! Especially since I could not have follow up chemo due to liver stats. I have full blood work on Monday. MRI is scheduled for late January...11 months post diagnosis/7 months post surgery. Once I get past these, I can rest easier! I just have to trust the DRs that they know when something is most likely to show up and schedule the testing around those dates in order to catch something earlier rather than later. I try not to let my cancer calendar run my life, but it is always in the back of my mind!
Diag Feb 5, 2016 Age 45
3 cm tumor 5 cm from verge
Radiation + Xeloda pills - 3000mg 5x week
3/14 - 4/16 - 25 sessions
Shrank just over 50% L nodes 0/13
Remove rectum with temp Ileo 6/17
Reversal 7/20 due to infection
Acute hepatitis August. Chemo cancelled
June to September 2016 - 58 days in hospital

6/16, MRI shadow in lung
Pet - 6.6mm Met in Upper R lobe
7/30 VAT surgery Mass General/Boston
8/24 port
8/30 - 4/28 Folfox. 12 rounds
June CT shows new lung Mets.
July/Oct PETs...CLEAR!

Marylandmaniac

Postby Marylandmaniac » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:09 am

Nik Colon wrote:When I first started, I would do the scans then wait a few days to go back in, etc. After I learned from here and asking, I found out I could see my onc the next day (as long as she is there), so now, I always schedule my next scan right after my current results and make sure I get my scan and onc appointment the next day, no more waiting.

Nik that is a great strategy! I also look at results before visit. My onc has a website where I can see my results. I then end up emailing the nurses and my onc with anything I see that is troubling. I know I drive them nuts. Now that I think about it that may be why my last blood work results were so slow to get posted. They blamed it on the lab being slow but now I wonder if they are trying to save me from myself. :) I just can't stand waiting and I want to feel like I do what ever I can to stay one step ahead. I will start setting appointments for two days after to make sure they have results.
Special staging MRI - clinical staging stage 3b - T3N2M0 (unless spot proves to be met)

Marylandmaniac

Postby Marylandmaniac » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:14 am

AppleTree wrote:That is so me! Especially since I could not have follow up chemo due to liver stats. I have full blood work on Monday. MRI is scheduled for late January...11 months post diagnosis/7 months post surgery. Once I get past these, I can rest easier! I just have to trust the DRs that they know when something is most likely to show up and schedule the testing around those dates in order to catch something earlier rather than later. I try not to let my cancer calendar run my life, but it is always in the back of my mind!

Hi Appletree,

I worry about my liver stats. During chemo my levels kept rising though my onc was okay with it. I guess chemo does this? I thought it might be due to my liver ablation but it seems that others have this from chemo. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I see from your signature that you had no lymph nodes showing cancer so that is wonderful. I am pretty sure I will have a couple that do but hopefully surgery gets it all and then I have follow up chemo to get rid of anything lurking.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”