Signet Ring Cell Cancer of the Sigmoid Colon

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
BeckyH

Re: Signet Ring Cell Cancer of the Sigmoid Colon

Postby BeckyH » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:00 pm

Hello Colon Club warriors,

I had my 9 month after chemo scan in early May and there was no evidence of disease. I am due for my next scan in mid to late August. So, we are doing our best to enjoy this summer. We are currently on the way home from a family vacation in Florida. Next week, we will celebrate our daughters 14th birthday. One thing cancer has given me is an appreciation for the ability to live and enjoy moments. As a fellow cancer warrior told me, this is a marathon and not a sprint. Use your energy wisely.

Physically I am doing okay. I continue to have hand/foot neuropathies. I have to be careful with my diet but that is to be expected when someone yanks out 18 inches of colon, right? Mentally I do okay most of the time. I find it easier to assume a recurrence will occur than not. Only time will tell, right?

Best wishes to all fellow colon cancer warriors out there!
BeckyH
DX: Suspected Colon Cancer January 29, 2016
2/8/16: Removed 17" Colon (Sigmoid area) & 1"Rectum & 58 lymph nodes
2/12/16: CA in 35/58 lymph nodes
Cancer: Stage 3C T3N2B
Path: Signet Ring Cell Adenocarcinoma
Chemo: 12 rounds of FOLFOX, (3/17/16 to August, 2016) Leukovorin DC'd after WBC decrease.
Scans: F/U scans every 3 months; last one 8/2017--All NED.
CEA: Stable b/t 1 and 2

fumaros

Postby fumaros » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:36 am

Thanks for checking in. I am glad you are going okay and getting clean scans. I understand how you feel especially the mental aspects. The neuropathy in my feet has reduced significantly to where I don't notice it when I wear shoes, so hopefully yours should get better with time. I am getting an 8 month after chemo scan this month. So far so good here. I like to act and live my life without thinking of a re-occurrence, although I the fear is always at the back of my mind, and I get nightmares sometimes. But, that's part of surviving. I wish you more NED scans, and hope this is all in the past for you.

all the best
Diagnosed 4/8/16, age 29
Colectomy 4/20/16
Stage III, T4bN1 Tumor 7x6.5x2. Muscinous Adenocarcinoma with SRC features
2/16 lymph nodes
Stage IV, Peri mets 5/2019
CEA 4/14/16 - 16.8
CEA 6/2/16 - 1.9
CEA 6/17/16 - 0.87, 7/16 - 1.33, 12/16 - 1.14, 4/17 - 0.6, 7/17 - 0.5, 10/17 - 0.9, 3/19 -5.8, 4/19 -10
FOLFOX began 6/24/16 - 11/25/16, FOLFIRI - 5/10/19
10 round FOLFOX, 2 round 5-FU & Leucovorin, 1 round FOLFIRI
MRI & CT 8/16 - NED, CT 12/16 - 10/17 - NED

BeckyH

Postby BeckyH » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:56 am

Hello Colon Cancer Warriors--

I had my 18 month post-surgery and 12 month post-chemo appointment about 10 days ago. The scans show no evidence of disease and my CEA and lab work is holding stable. After spending last summer feeling so ill from chemotherapy and recovering from surgery, I hoped and prayed for at least one more great summer with my kids. They are now 14 and 11 years old. We managed to have a great summer. We went to the zoo, to 6 Flags, Purina Farms, a family vacation to Florida, days at our subdivision pool, and other days just lazing around and enjoying each other. I used to take such "normal" summers for granted. Now, I can file in my personal history books, a great summer after cancer. I am so very grateful.

Physically, I still have neuropathies in my hands and feet and am quite clumsy. Fortunately, I have a good sense of humor. I also continue to have difficulty with bowel regulation if I am not careful of what I eat. Mentally, I think that every single twinge in my stomach means the cancer is back. I actually visited the ER in late July because I was having escalating pain. The whole ER thing was a crazy mess with me being there from 5 pm until almost 2:30 a.m. I believe I likely had an ovarian cyst. The CT scan was clear. The morphine dulled the pain. Within two days, I was back to whatever we cancer people call normal. I still keep thinking that the cancer will be back. I am not sure how long it is going to take for me to not hold that kernel in the back of my brain.

I have seen a few messages from others with Signet Ring Cell Adenocarcinoma of the Sigmoid Colon. I am currently a survivor of 18+ months with no evidence of disease. Cancer is a scary diagnosis and when they ice the cake with cell type "Mucinous SIgnet Ring Cell" it is super scary. My best advice to you is to limit your googling and do simple things like take walks, listen to music, sink into your favorite TV series, and LIVE. Also--ask your doctor for Xanax for the "crazy" times. I am not ashamed to admit that I am on Zoloft and I take 0.25 mg Xanax prn when my head starts spinning. The only moment ANY of us have guaranteed is this very moment, right? Make a choice to enjoy it.

Best wishes to all of my fellow colon cancer warriors out there. Keep fighting the good fight and while you can.....LIVE!
Becky
DX: Suspected Colon Cancer January 29, 2016
2/8/16: Removed 17" Colon (Sigmoid area) & 1"Rectum & 58 lymph nodes
2/12/16: CA in 35/58 lymph nodes
Cancer: Stage 3C T3N2B
Path: Signet Ring Cell Adenocarcinoma
Chemo: 12 rounds of FOLFOX, (3/17/16 to August, 2016) Leukovorin DC'd after WBC decrease.
Scans: F/U scans every 3 months; last one 8/2017--All NED.
CEA: Stable b/t 1 and 2

jsw7302013

Postby jsw7302013 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:25 pm

BeckyH wrote:Hello Colon Cancer Warriors--

I had my 18 month post-surgery and 12 month post-chemo appointment about 10 days ago. The scans show no evidence of disease and my CEA and lab work is holding stable. After spending last summer feeling so ill from chemotherapy and recovering from surgery, I hoped and prayed for at least one more great summer with my kids. They are now 14 and 11 years old. We managed to have a great summer. We went to the zoo, to 6 Flags, Purina Farms, a family vacation to Florida, days at our subdivision pool, and other days just lazing around and enjoying each other. I used to take such "normal" summers for granted. Now, I can file in my personal history books, a great summer after cancer. I am so very grateful.

Physically, I still have neuropathies in my hands and feet and am quite clumsy. Fortunately, I have a good sense of humor. I also continue to have difficulty with bowel regulation if I am not careful of what I eat. Mentally, I think that every single twinge in my stomach means the cancer is back. I actually visited the ER in late July because I was having escalating pain. The whole ER thing was a crazy mess with me being there from 5 pm until almost 2:30 a.m. I believe I likely had an ovarian cyst. The CT scan was clear. The morphine dulled the pain. Within two days, I was back to whatever we cancer people call normal. I still keep thinking that the cancer will be back. I am not sure how long it is going to take for me to not hold that kernel in the back of my brain.

I have seen a few messages from others with Signet Ring Cell Adenocarcinoma of the Sigmoid Colon. I am currently a survivor of 18+ months with no evidence of disease. Cancer is a scary diagnosis and when they ice the cake with cell type "Mucinous SIgnet Ring Cell" it is super scary. My best advice to you is to limit your googling and do simple things like take walks, listen to music, sink into your favorite TV series, and LIVE. Also--ask your doctor for Xanax for the "crazy" times. I am not ashamed to admit that I am on Zoloft and I take 0.25 mg Xanax prn when my head starts spinning. The only moment ANY of us have guaranteed is this very moment, right? Make a choice to enjoy it.

Best wishes to all of my fellow colon cancer warriors out there. Keep fighting the good fight and while you can.....LIVE!
Becky

Congratulations on 18 months NED. I'm celebrating 4 years 3 months NED! Best wishes for continued good health!
60 year old female
Dx: signet ring cell tumor in cecum, stage IIb,
no lymph involvement, Lynch negative
no perineural invasion, microsatellite instabilitiy
right hemicolectomy with resection 8/13
no follow up treatment

fumaros

Postby fumaros » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:42 am

BeckyH wrote:

Becky

Congratulations Becky. I am at 19 months, and know and feel almost every line of your post. Keeping living fully, everyday is a blessing.
Diagnosed 4/8/16, age 29
Colectomy 4/20/16
Stage III, T4bN1 Tumor 7x6.5x2. Muscinous Adenocarcinoma with SRC features
2/16 lymph nodes
Stage IV, Peri mets 5/2019
CEA 4/14/16 - 16.8
CEA 6/2/16 - 1.9
CEA 6/17/16 - 0.87, 7/16 - 1.33, 12/16 - 1.14, 4/17 - 0.6, 7/17 - 0.5, 10/17 - 0.9, 3/19 -5.8, 4/19 -10
FOLFOX began 6/24/16 - 11/25/16, FOLFIRI - 5/10/19
10 round FOLFOX, 2 round 5-FU & Leucovorin, 1 round FOLFIRI
MRI & CT 8/16 - NED, CT 12/16 - 10/17 - NED

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”