Preparing for Surgery... scared & need advice

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Sanjuro

Preparing for Surgery... scared & need advice

Postby Sanjuro » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:34 pm

Hi,

I want to say that this forum has been an invaluable resource for me over the past few weeks. I'm very grateful for any input folks are able to give.

Here is my situation:
Had rectal bleeding, was inspected with a rigid scope and the doctor saw a legion. I had a colonoscopy w/biopsies, it came back as cancer, 13cm from the anal verge in the rectosigmoid area. We believe it is a T2 N0 lesion that has bridged the submucosa to the muscularis propria but not broken through, based on flex-sig & ultrasound examination. CT scan of abdomen & chest came back clean.

My proctologist tells me I need a anterior resection, it may be a low anterior resection depending on how far in the lesion is. I am speaking with a few surgeons. One can do the surgery right away and another can do the surgery in about a month. How urgent is it that I have the surgery? Should I wait if I feel better about one of the surgeons?

I'm highly concerned about the quality of life after surgery and LARS. Any advice is much appreciated.

If anyone has strong opinions with respect to surgeons in the Southern California area, please send me a private message.

Thank you. Stay strong and keep fighting.

Nik Colon

Re: Preparing for Surgery... scared & need advice

Postby Nik Colon » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:17 am

Getting a Board certified CRC surgeon is the most important. Best wishes

AussieAssCancer

Postby AussieAssCancer » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:22 am

I would also recommend making enquiries about seeing a radiation oncologist for some neoadjuvant treatment. No doubt if you speak with a board certified surgeon as per Nik's advice, they will steer you in the right direction, whatever that is.

Cheers,

GK
Dx Oct '15 w/ Stage 3c RC/ CEA 8
Nov '15 - Jan '16: 3x FOLFOX and 5wks Chemoradiation w/ Xeloda
March '16: ULAR w/ temp ileostomy
Complete pathological response incl 0/12 nodes
May - Aug '16: 9x FOLFOX (dropped Oxaliplatin for final Rd due to neuropathy)
Clear CT scans in April ‘16 (NED), Dec ‘16, Aug ‘17, Feb ‘18, March ‘19, Feb ‘20
Feb '17: Ileostomy reversed
CEA Post Surgery: ALWAYS 2

Blog: kickingrectalcancerintheassblog
https://kickingrectalcancerintheassblog.wordpress.com/

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:25 am

AussieAssCancer wrote:I would also recommend making enquiries about seeing a radiation oncologist for some neoadjuvant treatment. No doubt if you speak with a board certified surgeon as per Nik's advice, they will steer you in the right direction, whatever that is.

Cheers,

GK

Yes, talk to onc also! (I should have mentioned that, if they haven't seen one yet) thanks for pointing that out
Last edited by Nik Colon on Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

AbbyDoo

Postby AbbyDoo » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:45 am

Sorry you going threw this.
You might want to check out city of Hope in Duarte. I have not been there butt have heard nothing but good.
53 yrs old
4/30/15 colonoscopy Mass found
5/21/15 staged 3 C rectal cancer
7/3/15 finished xeloda and radiation 28 rounds
9/30/15 LAR
10/29/15 picc line installed
11/2/15 start chemo 5 fu Oxaliplatin
3/7/16 Finish Chemo
4/29/16 Ileostomy Reversal.
7/13/16 colonoscopy clear.
CRC survivors know there Sh%t

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:59 am

Ditto on Board Certified Colon Rectal Surgeon. Do you know if you have colon or rectal cancer? IF it's rectal, usually radiation, or some form is chemo is standard care prior to surgery.

If you have concerns, getting a 2nd opinion is always s good idea.

After your surgery, be sure to walk, walk, walk those halls. It really does help with the healing process.

Good luck.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Sanjuro

Postby Sanjuro » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:27 pm

Thanks all for the info & support. I'm going to ask about seeing an oncologist as well. Does anyone have opinions about the Colorectal program / staff at UCLA Westwood as it relates to surgery?
40 / Male
Colon Cancer in the recto-sigmoid junction. Lesion is non aggressive: T2N0, ~5cm x 2.5cm in size, 13cm from the anal verge.
Lynch status: negative
LAR w/ Diverting Ileostomy Dec 2016
Post-Surgery Pathology: T1N0, clean margins, NED
Clean Colonoscopy Nov 2017

mike1965

Postby mike1965 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:28 am

Hello Sanjuro,

I had LARS earlier this year. My doctor was Dr. Kaiser at USC. In my opinion best move I could had made. He was able to do surgery with a scope. He is a great doctor. He did a great job and my surgery recovery was very smooth. He was not my original surgeon. I got rid of my original surgeon because I was not comfortable. Make sure u are comfortable with your surgeon. After research I felt the three best hospital for me were USC, UCLA and City of Hope. I picked USC because it was closer to my house and I liked Dr. Kaisers bio. You are smart to ask questions and educate yourself. You only get one shot at first surgery and you want the best to do it. If you need anymore details you can send me private message. I pray all goes well.
Colonoscopy 09/06/15 Doctor removed polyp
DX - Rectal cancer 09/10/2015 T1M0N0
Surgeon recommended wait and see approach 09/2015
Tumor board recommended LARs Surgery 10/2015
Oncologist and PCP recommended LARs Surgery 11/2015
Seeking 2nd opinion from another Surgeon 01/2016
Having Sigmoidscopy on 02/01/16.
Figured out treatment 02/2016
LARS Surgery 03/2016
Stage 3A T1 N1C M0
Chemo Folfox to begin 04/18/16

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”