How soon after finishing chemo was your first PET scan?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
AnnClare

How soon after finishing chemo was your first PET scan?

Postby AnnClare » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:07 pm

(Some of this is repetition of my post earlier this week, so sorry if you're reading this twice).

I had a CT scan with contrast done 6 weeks after finishing chemo. Onc said everything looked great, including bloodwork. Only thing that showed up were two small spots on my lung which he emphatically and repeatedly stated he did NOT believe was "c." He gave me the option of having a needle biopsy done to put my mind at ease (because he knows I'm a worrier), which I agreed to - until I found out it would take all day and there was a chance of lung collapse.

So yesterday I spoke with my onc's nurse, saying I'd go with option 2, which was to wait until my next scan, which I THOUGHT he said would be a CT scan in 3 months. Yet the PET scan department just called to schedule a PET scan for Nov. 30th.
I don't mind having this done, as I believe PET scans, especially in conjunction with CT scans, are very helpful. My question is this: is it too soon after chemo for a PET scan to be useful? When was your first post-Tx PET scan? I read that if it's "too soon" after chemo (no clarification on what "too soon" is) that you can have false positives. I've read that benign inflammation can cause things to "light up" on a PET scan. Since my onc thinks my lung spots could be just that, I don't want a false positive / reading.

My onc's nurse is supposed to call me on Monday, as both my husband and I recall my onc saying "we can just wait and do another CT scan in THREE months." Miscommunication, especially about my HEALTH, drives me batty. I need to clarify what's going on.
42 yr. old female
Rectal cancer Stage 3C T3 N1 M0 - Sept 2015
28 rounds radiation w/Xeloda - Nov - Dec 2015
2/17/16 - Surgery to remove rectal tumor, lymph nodes (2/20+), ovaries & fallopian tubes, temp. ileostomy
3/28/16 - 9/26/16 -12 rounds FOLFOX w/full oxi
Ileo reversal 10/27/16; Port removed 12/1/16
Lung mets confirmed 2/6/17
March-May 2017 - brain mets; brain rad. 5/9-5/29/17

betsydoglover
Facebook Username: Betsy Lindh Williams

Re: How soon after finishing chemo was your first PET scan?

Postby betsydoglover » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:25 pm

I had PET scans throughout chemo. It's a really helpful test. Sadly less commonly allowed by insurance. Don't think being on or off chemo has much effect on a PET. Make sure you have a good PET radiologist - sorry to throw in that zinger! If you trust your onc, then you should trust her/his choice of radiologist. It helps to have the same radio every time.

Take care,
Betsy
diag. Stage IV, 5/05, liver met
lap sigmoid colectomy, 6/05
6 cycles Xeloda/oxaliplatin/Avastin (NED after 2)
11/08 9x13mm right lower lobe lung nodule; removed via VATS 4/09
NED
6 cycles Xeloda + Avastin
Avastin only 10/09-5/11
Still NED 06/18

BUD2016

Postby BUD2016 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:45 pm

PET scan is a good idea. When a spot showed up on CT scan, our onc decided on PET/CT scan, not biopsy. And it changed diagnosis and course of treatment. To more aggressive + Avastin.
09/2016: Mom dx/rectal cancer
10/2016: Open surgery. T3N0/Grade 2
11/2016: PET/CT scan shows 5 liver mets in both lobes
11/2016: FOLFOX + Avastin started on her 71st birthday
KRAS gen 2 G13D mutant, BRAF Negative, MSS
03/2017: Oxi stopped after 9th tx, 5FU cntd. CT scans w/ contrast every 2 months - small shrinkage/stable
05/2017: PET/CT progression, started FOLFIRI + AVASTIN
07/2017: MRIs/CT stable
09/2017: MRIs/CT - min progression
09/2017: FOLFIRI + CYRAMZA
11/2017: left us

turtle

Postby turtle » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:25 pm

I had a PET scan 1 month after finishing chemo, and after having an abnormal CT. There were no false positives on my PET.
Feb. 2015 at age 39: Dx stage IIIb cecal cancer extending into appendix
March 2015 at age 40: Began FOLFOX, discontinuing early after 10 cycles due to suicidal ideation and difficulty moving
Oct. 2016 at age 41: Dx stage IV with 3 metastases to lungs (one 3.7 cm x 2.2 cm) and 1 to liver
KRAS-mutation positive

michelle c

Postby michelle c » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:23 pm

To answer your question, I have never had a PET scan. I had a CT scan six months after finishing chemo and then one every 12 months. My onc said that there was no point having one sooner post chemo and wanted to minimise radiation from CT scans. I remember my surgeon saying that if my CEA ever went to around 10 with nothing showing on a CT scan then he would order a PET scan. Perhaps your onc decided that a PET scan would be more useful in this case. I am not sure that chemo would cause inflammation in your lungs. Be careful about reading too much on google - sometimes it can heighten our anxiety :shock: Best wishes and I hope that the lung spots are nothing of concern.
May 25 2009 Dx with CC (sigmoid colon) 2 days after my 44th b'day
CEA prior to surgery 4.7
Jun 3 2009 LAR - Stage III 3/10 lymph nodes
Jul 6 - Dec 10 2009 - 12 cycles FOLFIRI
Genetic testing - inconclusive for Lynch
Jul 2012 port removed & hernia repair

AnnClare

Postby AnnClare » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:09 pm

Well, I just got off the phone with my onc's nurse, who said she spoke with my onc, who said I 'must have misunderstood,' that it wasn't an either/or option to have the biopsy vs. scan, that I'd need both.

My husband and I were BOTH there & know what we heard. He clearly indicated the needle biopsy was an OPTION, meant to put my mind at ease between now & my subsequent scan (which, again, he said would be a CT in 3 months, not a PET right now.)

Anyway, I'm scheduled to have the PET scan on Nov. 30th, and will meet with one of my onc's colleagues on 12/5 (because my onc will be out of the office the entire month of December -argh!) I'm still not scheduling the biopsy at this time - I'll wait to see what the PET scan reveals and what the doc has to say.

I'm getting so frustrated with this whole post-Tx monitoring business, and I've just begun. I'm also starting to get annoyed with my onc and the miscommunication. I've really, REALLY felt comfortable with him to this point, but now I'm starting to have doubts. Part of me just wants to say, "Leave me alone - I'll just live my life & take my chances, hoping for the best."
42 yr. old female
2/17/16 - Surgery to remove rectal tumor, lymph nodes (2/20+), ovaries & fallopian tubes, temp. ileostomy

nomoretacos

Postby nomoretacos » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:34 pm

I've never had a PET scan.

My post chemo baseline CT scan showed two spots, one on the liver and one on the lungs which were too small to characterise. My Onc said she was 99% sure it wasn't cancer but maybe they just say that so the patient doesn't worry :? and said my next scan would be in 12 months then i was discharged. My follow ups will be with my surgeon and i'll be pushing for another scan at 6 months.

I know how you feel, i'm so over everything, I just want to move on with my life, it's so nice to not feel like crap every two weeks

I think its good your Onc is being vigilant.
03/16 Dx Stage IIIC, sigmoid resection surgery,T3 N2b M0, 7/20 nodes, 4 tumor deposits, CEA 3.7, age 31
04-10/16 Folfox with delays and reductions
10/16 Post chemo CT scan shows two non specific spots (one liver, one lung)
11/16 Port removed
12/16 CEA 0.9
09/17 NED
03/18 NED

AnnClare

Postby AnnClare » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:06 pm

Thanks for your input, nomoretacos. I appreciate any and all insight, experiences, etc.

After discussing today's frustration with my husband, I'm going to cancel the PET scan. Tomorrow I'm going to call my onc's office, see if I can get an appointment to meet with him & discuss in person to clarify exactly WHAT he wants done, when, and why. After his numerous reassurances last week that "everything looks great" and this lung spot is nothing to worry about, and approving my port removal next Thursday, WHY the push for the biopsy? I think something is being lost in the translation here. Regardless, I'm not going to move forward with ANY tests until I get to speak with him face to face, and if that's not until January, so be it.

Thanks to all for letting me vent/rant. I hate how, even after the surgeries & treatment, this shit still takes up so much time and energy. I'm trying not to stress . . . work in progress.
42 yr. old female

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”