Eating Healthy on a Low Residue Diet?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Maelleous

Eating Healthy on a Low Residue Diet?

Postby Maelleous » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:20 pm

So I am on a low residue diet (just had rectal surgery and have a temp bag) for the next couple of months. Almost everything that is healthy you can't eat. I went EXTREME healthy once I was diagnosed for the little over a month it was between finding out and having the surgery but haven't been eating great (white pasta, white bread, chicken noodle soup etc) and now that I am starting to feel good enough to prepare my own food want to get back to healthier, esp if I still have cancer floating around in there (should know if they got it all in the next 24 hours)

I got a lot of my diet info from ChrisBeatCancer.com and various sites. Wanted to know other(s) opinions. Thanks.
M 35 yr
DX Rectal Cancer, 10/16 (symptoms Feb 2016)
Dx stage 2 - Surgery Oct 25 201 Loop ileo w/ j-pouch
Close margins within 1mm
9/38 lymph nodes involved on path / Stg IIIc,pT4, pN2 B, p.M0. MSS, K‐ras, NRAS, no mutation
Started Folfox - 3rd Treament, Dec 30th 2016 Cardiac Arrest - Lucky to be part of the 6% to survive!
S-ICD installed / Port Removed
Vaccine Clinical trial at UPMC - last shot June 2017
Reversal 8/1/17 - Praying this is it!
Still NED

Nik Colon

Re: Eating Healthy on a Low Residue Diet?

Postby Nik Colon » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:11 pm

PLEASE don't go by info from sites such as ChrisBeatCancer, etc. Diet and exercise are good but will not cure cancer. There are many people here who can offer advice on foods, and supplements that may help, but again, these won't cure you. Any site or person who claims they can or have been cured by these things alone are false. If you read them, you will see that they claim to have been cured AFTER surgery etc, which is what actually "cured" them (or at least removed what cancer was there or at least what could be detected), not their diet! (Which also can not guarantee they will never get cancer again) A healthy lifestyle can help, but it cannot cure cancer.

Utwo

Postby Utwo » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:55 pm

Maelleous wrote:Almost everything that is healthy you can't eat. I went EXTREME healthy once I was diagnosed for the little over a month it was between finding out and having the surgery but haven't been eating great (white pasta, white bread, chicken noodle soup etc) and now that I am starting to feel good enough to prepare my own food want to get back to healthier, esp if I still have cancer floating around in there (should know if they got it all in the next 24 hours)
What do you mean by "healthy"?
Is this about generic "healthy" diet for a generic average person?
Even people without cancer have different genes and different digestive systems.
What is healthy for one person may not be healthy for another person.

In case of a cancer person, definition of "healthy" may be totally different.
For example, I believe that BRAT diet is super healthy for me. On the other hand a diet with more beans, cabbage etc. is rather unhealthy. :)
58 yo male at diagnosis: T1bN0M0, 0/15 nodes, low grade/moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma
03/2016 colonoscopy: 2 small polyps removed in left colon; CEA = 1.3
04/2016 colonoscopy: caecum sessile 3.5 cm polyp piecemeal removed with kind of clear margins
05/2016 "prophylactic" laparoscopic right hemicolectomy - bleeding, leak, infection
06/2017 CT scan, colonoscopy OK; CEA = 1.6
A lot of funny stuff discovered by CT scans in liver, kidney, lungs, arteries, gallbladder, lymph node, pancreas

ChiMama

Postby ChiMama » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:27 am

Hi Maelleous!

I also had concerns about the lack of "healthy" options in the low-fiber/low-residue diet. I was on it for a month after my surgery. The first week after I got home from the hospital, everything tasted awful anyway - the only thing that tasted good were those parchment crackers from Trader Joes.

I looked at it as a temporary situation. It was more important to allow my surgery to heal than to try to eat superfood veggies etc. I ate very healthy before so it was a big change - but again, a temporary one. Once I was diagnosed, I did upgrade my nutrition from all natural & 50-60% organic to all natural & 95% organic. (The main exception is when I go out to eat which is maybe twice a month.)

I tried to find as much variety as I could within the limitations, and eat small portions throughout the day. So I did all organic (except for the TJs crackers): sweet potatoes, carrots (overcooked!), mashed potatoes, white crackers, broth, pasta, melon, peeled apples & applesauce, bananas, peeled nectarines, cream of buckwheat, non-dairy greek yogurt, organic turkey or chicken a couple times a week.

I also took cimetidine which I learned about on the forum here and started taking the week before surgery. Not diet-related, but random floating cancer cells related. :)
4/21/16 First Colonoscopy @59
DX high grade dysplasia
Fibroid uterus, liver cysts, lung nodules
6/17/16 Open surgery: hysterectomy, X 12.5cm sigmoid, 29 LN
T2N0M0 Stage 1 Mod diff adeno 5.2cm x 4.1. Gyne benign, Lynch neg
CT 7/27/16 Ground Glass & spiculated lung nodules, thyroid nods, watching.
2017/18/19 Scopes: polyps. Scans stable
2019 Endo: hiatal hernia. 2 breast biopsies, benign
5/20 GGN 1.1cm. Biopsy: adenocarcinoma/primary lung cancer. Robotic VATS upper left lobe. 1A
Mama to a rescue Chihuahua

AbbyDoo

Postby AbbyDoo » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:52 am

Nik Colon has given you the best advice. "PLEASE don't go by info from sites such as ChrisBeatCancer, etc. Diet and exercise are good but will not cure cancer."
When I was first diagnosed I did the health kick to. My advise now would be eat anything and everything with moderation.
Sound like you going to start chemo in four weeks so you might as well enjoy the foods you like now. I would not worry about diet until next year when your all put back together.
53 yrs old
4/30/15 colonoscopy Mass found
5/21/15 staged 3 C rectal cancer
7/3/15 finished xeloda and radiation 28 rounds
9/30/15 LAR
10/29/15 picc line installed
11/2/15 start chemo 5 fu Oxaliplatin
3/7/16 Finish Chemo
4/29/16 Ileostomy Reversal.
7/13/16 colonoscopy clear.
CRC survivors know there Sh%t

angie1975

Postby angie1975 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:48 pm

I would just like to add that yes Chris Wark did have surgery which is probably what cured him, but I agree he has some great food advice and you may also want to check out Kris Carr. She has an incurable slow growing cancer and sustains her immune system through juicing and a plant based diet. I used her juicing recipes and still do several times a day when I was going through my 12 rounds of chemo and it definetly helpedal keep my body stronger. I think the best thing I can offer is to focus on boosting your immune system . Now that treatment is over I am being seen by a wonderful holistic doctor who runs my blood work to check on where I may be low in nutrients aND has helped he change my diet and repair the damage done from chemo through food ,supplements emotional healing. There are so many aspects to healing and he helped me realize the is a difference in being "healthy" and being whole.
Stage 3 RC, DX 9/15/15
Prospect Trial, Folfox only
Surgery 2/11/16, successful w/clean margins
1/13 nodes positive
4/11/16clean scan, NED
7/13/16, CLEAN SCAN NED
7/21/21 clean scan released by Doc
6 years NED

LaciK

Postby LaciK » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:55 am

I have been struggling with this myself. Although I am eating healthier than before I was diagnosed (avoiding fatty/fried and fast foods), it seems counter intuitive to eat white flour and other low fiber foods. The best advice I have heard recently is to listen to my body. It doesn't do me any good to eat things that cause intestinal distress. I don't have much quality of life when my stomach is cramping and I am running to the bathroom (or avoiding going out for fear of an accident).

I am working with an oncology dietician. She works at a Cancer Wellness Center near me and the services there are free. She also works at a local hospital. I have been journaling my food and bathroom activities. I meet with her tomorrow to review the information. I can't see any patterns/triggers, but I am hoping she will be able to.

One suggestion she had was to use juicing as a way to get some of the vegetables which provide nutritional benefits (the juicing removes the fiber). I haven't tried it yet, but I will.

I switched to a new gastroenterologist and he told me that he has successfully treated patients post-bowel surgery with Bupropion (Wellbutrin). He said that my stomach is hyper reacting to stimuli and the Bupropion calms the nerves of the stomach so it stops over-reacting to stimuli. He said it can take a year for my post-surgical GI issues to resolve themselves and the Bupropion can be used short-term to help manage my current symptoms (urgency, fecal incontinence, cramping, diarrhea, feeling like I have to go but can't, multiple trips to the bathroom).

I feel like I have a giant puzzle to solve and different people have the matching pieces so I am forced to seek out the people who can help me. It is extremely frustrating. The cancer treatments are only half the story, but I am finding it difficult to solve the intestinal issues.

Good luck with your research.
DX 9/23/15 rc (age 50)
CT & EUS revealed T3N1 Stage 3b
Chemo/Radiation Oct/Nov 2015
LAR 1/15/16 w/temp ilieostomy
Xelox 3/17/16 - 2 rounds then paused for ilieostomy reversal 4/22/16
& to Clear up C. Diff infection
Restart Xelox 5/19/16 - Final infusion 7/21/16
Finish Xelox (oral Xeloda) 8/3/16
8/17/16 CMP & CBC normal; CEA Zero!
9/26/16 Colonoscopy clear
10/5/16 CT clear

Green Tea

Juicing

Postby Green Tea » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:51 am

LaciK wrote:One suggestion she had was to use juicing as a way to get some of the vegetables which provide nutritional benefits (the juicing removes the fiber). I haven't tried it yet, but I will...

For your information, there have been a number of discussion threads here in the past on the topic of "Juicing". You can check them out to see if they have anything of interest that might apply to your situation.

Talk to me about juicing
http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43540

What exactly is juicing and ... does it work?
http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35144

Juicer recipes
http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35571

Any Juicers?
http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5511

To juice or not to juice
http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=457

Best veggies to juice?
http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20993

Green Juicer - Raw Foods, etc
http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35135

chemo sabe

Postby chemo sabe » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:06 pm

My surgery for rectal cancer was a few years ago. My colon was resectioned on both ends - an area of flat polys at the top and cancer at the bottom. So my colon was shortened. I had an ileostomy for more than 6 months and after my surgeon re-connected me, he told me to avoid things like fresh salads. So some of my favorite things went out the window. If I eat them, I will be in the bathroom, and back to the bathroom, and back to the bathroom etc. There are other things that will trigger the same thing. I have been had by blueberry pie, not just healthy stuff. so my diet is driven by what I know, not by what is called "healthy". I compensate with a daily multivitamin and serious exercise to fight the calories and cancer recurrence. I guess I am saying that I really do not worry about "healthy eating" cause there is a bunch of it I cannot have. I am blessed to be alive and must add that exercise has done far more this old body than healthy eating ever did.
64 year old male
Diagnosed Stage 3 Rectal Cancer - T3N1M0 - Oct 2011
28 radiation treatments with xeloda
Colon resection with ileostomy Feb 2012
8 Rounds of Xelox completed Sept 2012
Ileostomy reversal surgery Oct 2012
Incisional Hernia Repair Nov 2013

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:43 pm

Maelleous wrote:Wanted to know other(s) opinions. Thanks.

JMO :mrgreen:
I just posted a link to some science around CRC prevention HERE

as to your diet preferences etc. I was the poster child for somebody who should NOT even get CRC, let alone end up Stage IVa .... :twisted:
OTHER than being male over 50 years old at Dx.

I had already declared war on fats, trans-fats, simple sugars, junk food, over processed "white" flours and sugars, sugar drinks
.... ate Mediterranean diet, seafoods, olive oil, home cooked, processed or fast foods / meats very rarely .... yada yada yada
aged red wine at or under the limit
no smoking, not working with toxic chemicals, doing meditations, Taiji and Qigong in addition to karate

Exercise : three 2 hour sessions weekly, minimum, as martial arts instructor and participating student
optimal body weight / BMI / heart health / blood glucose and cholesterol levels

I STILL ended up winning the "backdoor" lottery

My take is : be sensible / reasonable with diet / exercise.
Listen to the actual "science" not just all the faddists.
Get a plan which works for YOU and stick to it.
Enjoy life along the way and hope you have good genetics ......
'COS that is really the bottom line ....
just IMO of course :mrgreen:

Cheers
CR
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”