What does KRAS Wild mean?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ronswife

What does KRAS Wild mean?

Postby ronswife » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:12 pm

Hello Again,

The onc told us today that Ron's cancer is KRAS wild. What does this mean? I am too drained right now to even look this up!

Generally, is this good or BAD?

I had an eye exam last Monday, 10/24, and was told I have mild cataracts in both eyes. The left one is worse.

I feel that we just CAN'T catch a BREAK!

:cry: :?:
Husband Ron diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer on 3/15/16, right after first colonoscopy at age 68. Had surgery to remove tumor on 3/31/16. Many mets on top and bottom of liver that are not resectable. Started chemo 4/28/16 using Fluorouracil (5-FU) and Irinotecan. Started Erbitux 5/26 on third chemo. Had very good results on 7/14 CT scan!! Treated with Avastin and Capecitabine 8/4/16. CT on 10/18 showed cancer growth. Now on FOLFOX. Placed in Hospice in early December and passed away 12/29/16.

CRguy

Re: What does KRAS Wild mean?

Postby CRguy » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:18 pm

...AND clinically speaking :
possibly able to use EGFR inhibitors which KRAS mutant tumors will not benefit from
KRAS mutation is predictive of a very poor response to panitumumab (Vectibix®) and cetuximab (Erbitux®) therapy in colorectal cancer

wild type is a GOOD thing ... in a nutshell !

best wishes
CR
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:34 pm

I still don't get why it's called "wild type" :?: :roll: :twisted:

Since you know, you could add it to your sig (KRAS-wt)
also MSI (H or L) or MSS, if you know.

These are important for tx options

GrouseMan

Postby GrouseMan » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:18 pm

Is called "Wild" because it is natural not a mutation. Out of the wild if you will. This is a term used to talk about mutations and genetics for a very long time. People doing genetic research and looking for mutations bred mice in a particular way to enhance these mutations. These mice are not wild but usually double positive or double negative carriers of particular mutations, that are passed on to their offspring. Thus when describing the mutation is against the "wild" variant of the mice that don't carry the mutation.

Wikipedia has a better definition:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_type

Regards,

GrouseMan
DW 53 dx Jun 2013
CT mets Liver Spleen lung. IVb CEA~110
Jul 2013 Sig Resct
8/13 FolFox,Avastin 12Tx mild sfx, Ongoing 5-FU Avastin every 3 wks.
CEA: good marker
7/7/14 CT Can't see the spleen Mets.
8/16/15 CEA Up, CT new abdominal mets. Iri, 5-FU, Avastin every 2 wks.
1/16 Iri, Erbitux and likely Avastin (Trial) CEA going >.
1/17 CEA up again dropped from Trial, Mets growth 4-6 mm in abdomen
5/2/17 Failed second trial, Hospitalized 15 days 5/11. Home Hospice 5/26, at peace 6/4/2017

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:25 pm

GrouseMan wrote:Is called "Wild" because it is natural not a mutation. Out of the wild if you will. This is a term used to talk about mutations and genetics for a very long time. People doing genetic research and looking for mutations bred mice in a particular way to enhance these mutations. These mice are not wild but usually double positive or double negative carriers of particular mutations, that are passed on to their offspring. Thus when describing the mutation is against the "wild" variant of the mice that don't carry the mutation.

Wikipedia has a better definition:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_type

Regards,

GrouseMan

Interesting! Thanks GM! I love learning new things :)

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:27 pm

very Very VERY ... basic explanation from memory :
wild type refers to the generally accepted "naturally" occurring allele of a gene locus in a population, aka "normal", aka not mutated.

so a geneticist would look at a particular gene locus on a chromasome and "normally" find the wild type "gene" there
( actually allele which is a variant of the gene at that location )

changes or variants of that gene ( allele ) which are not the "normal" wild type would be considered mutations.

so KRAS wild type is the "normal" gene at a certain locus on the human genome

KRAS mutations are not the wild (aka normal) type and would have different properties than the wild type,
which in this case means NOT responding to treatments with the drugs mentioned above

sorry guess not that simple/ basic after all ... which is why we have folks like GrouseMan and DK37 hanging around here !

JUST saw his feedback = listen to him :mrgreen:

Cheers
CR
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:36 pm

CRguy wrote:very Very VERY ... basic explanation from memory :
wild type refers to the generally accepted "naturally" occurring allele of a gene locus in a population, aka "normal", aka not mutated.

so a geneticist would look at a particular gene locus on a chromasome and "normally" find the wild type "gene" there
( actually allele which is a variant of the gene at that location )

changes or variants of that gene ( allele ) which are not the "normal" wild type would be considered mutations.

so KRAS wild type is the "normal" gene at a certain locus on the human genome

KRAS mutations are not the wild (aka normal) type and would have different properties than the wild type,
which in this case means NOT responding to treatments with the drugs mentioned above

sorry guess not that simple/ basic after all ... which is why we have folks like GrouseMan and DK37 hanging around here !

JUST saw his feedback = listen to him :mrgreen:

Cheers
CR

Thanks! I assume you were writing at the same time :)

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:48 pm

ronswife wrote:Hello Again,

The onc told us today that Ron's cancer is KRAS wild. What does this mean? I am too drained right now to even look this up!

Generally, is this good or BAD?

I had an eye exam last Monday, 10/24, and was told I have mild cataracts in both eyes. The left one is worse.

I feel that we just CAN'T catch a BREAK!

:cry: :?:

Sorry about your eyes :( maybe not the same, but that's my life in a nutshell, one thing bad after another, ugh
So, I hear ya!

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:09 pm

Wanted to add. I don't know your belief. Me personally, I believe but don't follow any belief system.

So my point. Not sure where from, but I recall hearing...the more you suffer, the closers you are to God/Jesus.

I don't believe that, but, if so, I feel my family, and all of us here (well maybe not all, lol j/k) are really close to them then.

They "really love us"! :mrgreen:

Again, no hate! I do believe in a God/afterlife/something

ronswife

Postby ronswife » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:26 am

Thank ALL of you so much for your informational, compassionate and amusing posts!!

I LOVE this colon family!!

:D :D :mrgreen:
Husband Ron diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer on 3/15/16, right after first colonoscopy at age 68. Had surgery to remove tumor on 3/31/16. Many mets on top and bottom of liver that are not resectable. Started chemo 4/28/16 using Fluorouracil (5-FU) and Irinotecan. Started Erbitux 5/26 on third chemo. Had very good results on 7/14 CT scan!! Treated with Avastin and Capecitabine 8/4/16. CT on 10/18 showed cancer growth. Now on FOLFOX. Placed in Hospice in early December and passed away 12/29/16.

ramg_sg

Postby ramg_sg » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:02 am

I got KRAS Positive, which the Onco said it is good. My cancel is not wild and spread can be controlled. It worked for 2.5 years. Now it has spread.. so will have to see.
Age 53[2016]
07/13 Tumor discovery
08/13 CC surgery, 9/12 Lymph nodes, Temp Ileostomy T3 N2b S3C KRAS+
08/13 to 01/14 - FOLFOX+Bev & Zometa, 5FU 24x7 CEA normal
02/14 RT
04/14 Ileostomy reversal
05/14 to 06/15 - 5FU 24x7
06/15 Fix Hernia Ileostomy site
06/15 to 02/16 - 5FU 24x7
02/16 PET tumor size increase - FOLFOX+Bev
05/16 RT
07/16 PET - spots in lungs, surgery option drop