Aspirin Study starting

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Aspirin Study starting

Postby dianetavegia » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:30 pm

https://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show ... olt&rank=1

My onc friend in Australia wrote me last night about this newest study that's taken 10 years to get approved.

QUOTE: We hypothesize through this randomized, placebo-controlled adjuvant study, that Aspirin in patients with dukes C or high risk dukes B colorectal cancer (ASCOLT) can improve survival in this patient population over placebo control. If indeed found to be beneficial, because aspirin is cheap and easy to administer, it will positively impact the lives of many individuals in Asia and globally.
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

AussieAssCancer

Re: Aspirin Study starting

Postby AussieAssCancer » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:58 am

My radiation oncologist mentioned this in passing when I bumped into him the other month, the potential benefit of aspirin mind you, not that there was a clinical trial.

I will raise it with my onc in Dec when I see him for my first CEA/CT surveillance scans
Dx Oct '15 w/ Stage 3c RC/ CEA 8
Nov '15 - Jan '16: 3x FOLFOX and 5wks Chemoradiation w/ Xeloda
March '16: ULAR w/ temp ileostomy
Complete pathological response incl 0/12 nodes
May - Aug '16: 9x FOLFOX (dropped Oxaliplatin for final Rd due to neuropathy)
Clear CT scans in April ‘16 (NED), Dec ‘16, Aug ‘17, Feb ‘18, March ‘19, Feb ‘20
Feb '17: Ileostomy reversed
CEA Post Surgery: ALWAYS 2

Blog: kickingrectalcancerintheassblog
https://kickingrectalcancerintheassblog.wordpress.com/

Violet

Postby Violet » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:08 am

My husband had Stage 1 rectosigmoid cancer (T2N0M0) and was treated with surgery (no chemo or radiation). We saw two oncologists (in Australia) to get opinions regarding the need for additional treatment and they both suggested commencing aspirin (although the study is not yet complete). I imagine it also depends on whether you are on other medications or have health problems that will make long term aspirin a problem (it's not without some possible side effects!).

nomoretacos

Postby nomoretacos » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:54 am

My Onc mentioned this study but i think I was too late to join...which I believe is a good thing (albeit selfishly) for me as i'd rather take aspirin than a placebo

I was also told via a "you didn't hear this from me" that I should take it if I wanted to try everything possible to prevent a recurrence
03/16 Dx Stage IIIC, sigmoid resection surgery,T3 N2b M0, 7/20 nodes, 4 tumor deposits, CEA 3.7, age 31
04-10/16 Folfox with delays and reductions
10/16 Post chemo CT scan shows two non specific spots (one liver, one lung)
11/16 Port removed
12/16 CEA 0.9
09/17 NED
03/18 NED

Bob Bones
Facebook Username: markcooper1968@btinternet.com

Postby Bob Bones » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:53 am

I have Lynch syndrome and I'm on the CAPP3 (Cancer Prevention Program) Aspirin has been proven to help protect against cancer. The problem being what is the lowest effective dose hence the trial. It's a blind dose of either (mg) 600,300 or 100 once a day for two years then 100 for the next 3 years.

LS patients are selected because we are more likely to get cancer so will be a good control group. It's not just bowel cancer it protects against but most of them.

The trial has been running in the UK for a while now
Sigmoid Tumor 5cm T(3) , 11/23 nodes
Stage IIIC at age 37, Poorly differentiated
Surgery 23/01/06 ( Laparoscopic )
Converted to Formal because of my anatomy!
6 months of Xeloda
NED 10 years (touch wood)
Lynch Syndrome MSH2

radnyc

Postby radnyc » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:28 am

Excellent! I believe evidence is starting to show that we have available two very low-cost treatment and prevention options: Vitamind D3 and aspirin.
DX Jan 2010, at age 47
Feb - colon resection - 2/17 nodes positive
April - liver mets - Stage 4
3 months Folfox chemotherapy
August '10 liver resection and HAI pump
7 months chemo FUDR HAI and Folfiri systemic
NED since August 2010
Last treatment April 2011
HAI Pump removed Dec 2015

Swirdfish

Postby Swirdfish » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:46 am

What about cancer being a fungus and bicarbonate treatments?? Sorry got all these natural remedy buttheads around me trying to push this all onto me. Making my life even more miserable.
06/2016 Went in for colonoscopy came out with a tumor. Age 35
12cm from verge at junction. Rectal cancer.
Clinical stage T3 NO MO
Temp illestomy
Completed 5FU and Radiation
LAR surgery planned 13 Oct 2016
Completed ULAR surgery 11-10-2016.
0/22 nodes
pT3 N0 M0 R1
Stage 2A

Pathology reviewed and changed
ypT3 N0 M0 R0

Started folfox 21-11-2016
5-4-17 NED
Reversal 12-4-17

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:09 pm

Swirdfish wrote:What about cancer being a fungus and bicarbonate treatments?? Sorry got all these natural remedy buttheads around me trying to push this all onto me. Making my life even more miserable.

I have no idea about your question, but please ignore all the pushers out there. Ask a Dr or even here. Most of us are very cautious about things and brush off those "miracle cure" type stories and such unless there has been some form of "real" studies done that shows a true possibility of helping in some way. The ones to be most sceptical about are any claiming a "cure". If someone wants to try things (as long as it's not harmful or interacts then more power to them, just don't hold your breath.)

(My reply has nothing to do with the OP, just replying to this post and how i feel about all the quacks, scammers, and people who state belief as fact when they have no solid proof or long term controlled study to back up their claims! Grrr, they really tick me off!)
Last edited by Nik Colon on Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mariane

Postby mariane » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:38 pm

pp
Last edited by mariane on Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mom of now 14 years old twins, dx @ 40 in 6/2015 with upper rectal cancer, 10+ liver mets, CEA 140
chemo: 8/2015 - 10/2016 - 4xFOLFIRINOX, 2xFOLFOX, 8xFOLFIRI, 10x5FU, HAI pump -12xFUDR
4 surgeries, complete pathological response
CEA<2 since 10/2015
NED since May 2016

I praise God for every day with my family!

Swirdfish

Postby Swirdfish » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:17 pm

Nik Colon wrote:
Swirdfish wrote:What about cancer being a fungus and bicarbonate treatments?? Sorry got all these natural remedy buttheads around me trying to push this all onto me. Making my life even more miserable.

I have no idea about your question, but please ignore all the pushers out there. Ask a Dr or even here. Most of us are very cautious about things and brush off those "miracle cure" type stories and such unless there has been some form of "real" studies done that shows a true possibility of helping in some way. The ones to be most sceptical about are any claiming a "cure". If someone wants to try things (as long as it's not harmful or interacts then more power to them, just don't hold your breath.)

(My reply has nothing to do with the OP, just replying to this post and how i feel about all the quacks, scammers, and people who state belief as fact when they have no solid proof or long term controlled study to back up their claims! Grrr, they really tick me off!)

Thanks Nic,

Really annoys me too and one of them is my wife.. lol. They all come out of the woodwork and try push this and that and when you don't agree with them they say okay well it's your cancer, we can't help you. Like I'm going to die or something. Well actually the natropath actually said to my wife I'm dying and I'm riddled with fungus and all this other stuff. Others wanted to inject my Tumor directly with bicarbonate, I mean try find a doctor who will do that anyway. Then they all look at you like you want to lose the battle.

It is actually tearing everyone apart. I don't want to spend my day at home on a rife machine and drinking bicarbonate and swallowing 50 herb pills a day.

I guess everyone wants to help, but they make me feel like I'm giving up hope. Iam far from doing that at the moment.

The problem with google is any quack can say anything and that it's been trialed here and there and it works and the masses believe this even though sites have no confirmed studies. People are easily lead in many different directions.

Btw I take my aspirin... I agree with that.

Sorry I'm Abit over it all.
06/2016 Went in for colonoscopy came out with a tumor. Age 35
12cm from verge at junction. Rectal cancer.
Clinical stage T3 NO MO
Temp illestomy
Completed 5FU and Radiation
LAR surgery planned 13 Oct 2016
Completed ULAR surgery 11-10-2016.
0/22 nodes
pT3 N0 M0 R1
Stage 2A

Pathology reviewed and changed
ypT3 N0 M0 R0

Started folfox 21-11-2016
5-4-17 NED
Reversal 12-4-17

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:11 pm

Swirdfish wrote:
Nik Colon wrote:

Thanks Nic,

Really annoys me too and one of them is my wife.. lol. They all come out of the woodwork and try push this and that and when you don't agree with them they say okay well it's your cancer, we can't help you. Like I'm going to die or something. Well actually the natropath actually said to my wife I'm dying and I'm riddled with fungus and all this other stuff. Others wanted to inject my Tumor directly with bicarbonate, I mean try find a doctor who will do that anyway. Then they all look at you like you want to lose the battle.

It is actually tearing everyone apart. I don't want to spend my day at home on a rife machine and drinking bicarbonate and swallowing 50 herb pills a day.

I guess everyone wants to help, but they make me feel like I'm giving up hope. Iam far from doing that at the moment.

The problem with google is any quack can say anything and that it's been trialed here and there and it works and the masses believe this even though sites have no confirmed studies. People are easily lead in many different directions.

Btw I take my aspirin... I agree with that.

Sorry I'm Abit over it all.

Don't be sorry, I feel sorry that you have to deal with that. There is only really one person I know that is big on herbal meds/essential oils/etc. I don't see them often but I just blow it off, just like ok, thanks, I'll look into it, blablabla. Others I think just want to help and mention things they hear. I have pretty much told everyone how I feel and most feel the same as me so it's not really an issue. Thankfully. Don't let them try to guilt you into anything, sadly that's what they are essentially trying to do.

AussieAssCancer

Postby AussieAssCancer » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:25 pm

Spoke to my oncologist about this at my check up this week and he gave me the info on it. Will hear back in the new year whether I'm approved to be in the trial or not.
Dx Oct '15 w/ Stage 3c RC/ CEA 8
Nov '15 - Jan '16: 3x FOLFOX and 5wks Chemoradiation w/ Xeloda
March '16: ULAR w/ temp ileostomy
Complete pathological response incl 0/12 nodes
May - Aug '16: 9x FOLFOX (dropped Oxaliplatin for final Rd due to neuropathy)
Clear CT scans in April ‘16 (NED), Dec ‘16, Aug ‘17, Feb ‘18, March ‘19, Feb ‘20
Feb '17: Ileostomy reversed
CEA Post Surgery: ALWAYS 2

Blog: kickingrectalcancerintheassblog
https://kickingrectalcancerintheassblog.wordpress.com/

crazylife

Postby crazylife » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:40 pm

DH sees a naturopathic doc at MSK who put him on 8 or 9 supplements that have been proven to work through clinical trials. Aspirin wasn't one but I'd be interested to hear his thoughts. Will keep you guys posted.
Wife to DH, 41 years old, diagnosed 11/15
Stage 4, Mod diff, 13/24 LN, 1 liver met
Colon/liver resection at MSK, 11/15
8mm lung met (not confirmed) and enlarged lymph nodes 1/16
12 rounds of folfox (9 with Oxi) 6/16
NED - July 2016
NED - October 2016
3 lung mets - March 2017
7 lung mets, May 2017
RFA to largest met, June 2017
Lung mets growing slowly, October 2017 (off treatment since June 2016)
Right lung surgery, November 2017
Left lung surgery, January 2018
NED - May 2018

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:53 pm

I began taking aspirin 2 weeks after the end of chemo, so late August 2009. I take full strength aspirin, which has been shown in studies to raise the risk of 'bleeds' from 3.6 persons per 1,000 to 5.7 persons per thousand, tho diabetics were included in that study and that already increases the risk.

My onc friend said this study will use 200 mg per day because that was the most convenient dosage available in most countries and sort of 'middle of the road' when it comes to dosage recommendations.

I don't bruise and I have my platelets and MNP count done every 6 months. I am 66 in 12 days and was raised on aspirin. Mother would crush an aspirin and mix it in water on a spoon for us for fever. I've never taken tylenol or other type NSAID's.

Wouldn't it be wonderful is something as simple as aspirin and getting your Vitamin D level up to almost 100 would help prevent cancer/ recurrence!!! I keep my Vit. D3 level between 85 and 100. Labcorp's high normal is now 100.
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

radnyc

Postby radnyc » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:27 pm

Good. I've been on regular aspirin since end of treatment. I believe evidence is accumulating to show therapeutic effectiveness for the following inexpensive drugs and supplements. Aspirin, vitamin d3, milk thistle and metformin. Adding a regular exercise routine to your lifestyle also helps to keep cancer at bay, as does less red meat consumption and cessation of cigarette smoking.
DX Jan 2010, at age 47
Feb - colon resection - 2/17 nodes positive
April - liver mets - Stage 4
3 months Folfox chemotherapy
August '10 liver resection and HAI pump
7 months chemo FUDR HAI and Folfiri systemic
NED since August 2010
Last treatment April 2011
HAI Pump removed Dec 2015

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”