Varubi

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
coolzan71

Varubi

Postby coolzan71 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:51 am

I just wanted to let the colon community know about a new anti-emetic out there. It's called Varubi (rolapitant) and is in the same class as Emend. It's a NK-1 receptor antagonist. I have run the gamut of anti emetics over my 7 1/2 years of chemo and all failed miserably until I added Emend to my Aloxi pre med. So when my insurance told me they weren't going to cover my oral Emend anymore I kind of freaked out. I thought I had found my holy grail of anti-emetics with Emend but let me tell you, I was wrong. The Varubi is taken as two 90mg tablets 30 to 60 minutes prior to chemo, similar to the oral Emend but it's half life is 1 week. I have to say that I feel clearer on it although perhaps a little sicker but, and here's the thing, I'm out and about 2 whole days sooner on the Varubi. With the Emend I'm sick for 6 days, Varubi 4 days. And with the Emend I still have to wait 2 more days to go out and run. With the Varubi I'm out running day 6 after treatment. Apparently it's not that widely used as of yet since I seem to be the only person on it at my cancer hospital (which has led to some supply issues) But if you can get the opportunity to give it a try I highly recommend it. It has made my treatments SO MUCH better! Good luck to all!
Dx: 1/4/2008 36 yo stage iv Mcrc 12 liver mets Folfiri/Cetuximab/Avastin
6/08 discontinue Avastin due to side effects
2/11 3 years NED quit chemo
6/12 back in brain lungs spine and cervix folfiri/cetux
6/12 srt brain mets x2
4/13 cone biopsy pos. for MCRC
10/14 sbrt to hilar lymph node
10/15 Left lower lung lobe collapse due to radiation pneumonitis
4/16 160 rds of FOLFIRI/Ce
7 half marathons since dx while on chemo (and counting hopefully)

KElizabeth
Facebook Username: KElizabeth

Re: Varubi

Postby KElizabeth » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:49 pm

Thanks for posting your experience My oncologist wanted me to e his guinea pig for this last week. I think I'll try it now that you have given it a good review.
Female age 39- ,2 teens.
Colon Cancer - DX March 2013
Age 34 at DX - Stage III B
Resection surgery -May 2013
FOLFOX - June, 2013 to Sept, 2013
5FU plus leukavorin Sept, 2013 to Dec, 2013
METs liver and lungs discovered Sept, 2015
KRAS - MSS
FOLFIRI plus Avastin - Sept, 2015 - July 2017
Durvalumab and Cediranib Sept 2017 Dec 17
FOLFOX with desensitization protocol - current

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”