Discomfort..any advice?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Tnguyen
Facebook Username: Natalie Nguyen

Discomfort..any advice?

Postby Tnguyen » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:03 pm

Hello to all!

Im in need of some advice right now....
My mom been having some stomach issues, that seems to happen only at night time. She has some discomfort in her stomach area, but the weird thing is that it's not painful. We even told our onc, and at first he said it might be due to the tumor, but once we told him that it's not painful at all, he was also confused.
I even got my mom to stop eating around 8pm, and to not eat alot at once. She eat tiny meals instead of big ones, and she also drinks a lot of water. I even make her ginger root tea whenever she has discomfort but even that isnt helping.
Even her bowel movement is normal, no blood.
Because of the discomfort in her stomach, it is causing her to be more fatigue than usual.
Best way I can describe how she is feeling is....the feeling you get after a food coma...and can't digest.

Is there anyone who has experience this, and have some advice to help ease the discomfort? I would really appreciate it!
Thank you :)
Mom Diagnosed with CC stage iv with mets to liver and lung
16 rounds of folfox - failed
folfori- some growth, some shrank
folfori+vectibix- failed after 4 months (scans came back with some growth)
currently- (oct12/16) stivarga (2 pills a day)

BeansMama

Re: Discomfort..any advice?

Postby BeansMama » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:44 pm

I get discomfort in my abdomen quite a bit, I can only describe it as almost a feeling of tightness. It is in the area of my ostomy and liver tumor, however I have issues with constipation and take miralax daily to prevent it.

I have found that a heating pad helps most of the time. Other than that I just have to wait it out. It is irritating because I generally feel nauseous too when it acts up. I also eat small meals which helps keep it from happening for me. In addition to the ginger tea peppermint tea may help.

I don't know if you have access to essential oils but I have found rubbing fennel and peppermint oils diluted with a carrier oil on my abdomen before I apply the heating pad helps also.
41 yrs old
Tumor found 9/2015
Surgery 1 - 11/2015 LAR and colostomy
Surgery 2 - 11/2015 wound vac
Surgery 3 - 12/2015 revise resection, move colostomy
Mets to liver - tumor inoperable - one add'l met destroyed
Stage IVa (T3 N2a M1a)
Primary tumor 9 cm x 7.5 cm x 2 cm
Beginning Folfox 1/2016 - Failed
Beginning Folfiri and vectibix 8/2016 — Failed
Beginning Folfirinox + Avastin 11/2016 - Failed
Beginning Keytruda 1/2017
CEA drop from 345 to 7.3 after starting immunotherapy
Lynch positive 3/2016

jhocno197

Postby jhocno197 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:54 pm

Could she be very slightly constipated?
DH - dx Dec 2014, stage IV with bladder & peritoneal involvement - non-resectable
Colostomy
FOLFOX failed
FOLFIRI failed
Tumor actually distending pelvic skin
Not a candidate for last-ditch pelvic exenteration
Stivarga finally begun 2/19/16
Tumor growing/fungating
Lonsurf started 11/18/16
Died 3/10/17

Tnguyen

Postby Tnguyen » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:19 pm

BeansMama wrote:I get discomfort in my abdomen quite a bit, I can only describe it as almost a feeling of tightness. It is in the area of my ostomy and liver tumor, however I have issues with constipation and take miralax daily to prevent it.

I have found that a heating pad helps most of the time. Other than that I just have to wait it out. It is irritating because I generally feel nauseous too when it acts up. I also eat small meals which helps keep it from happening for me. In addition to the ginger tea peppermint tea may help.

I don't know if you have access to essential oils but I have found rubbing fennel and peppermint oils diluted with a carrier oil on my abdomen before I apply the heating pad helps also.

Yes we do have an Asian type of green essential oil that heats up when touched the skin, which does seem to ease it a little. But she isn't constipated as her bowel movement is pretty good for someone in her condition. ); but thank you for the heat advice beansmama!

Tnguyen

Postby Tnguyen » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:21 pm

jhocno197 wrote:Could she be very slightly constipated?

That's what I thought too before. But her bowel movement is pretty good for someone in her condition. She doesn't have any trouble going. What's weird is that it happens only at night time, and been like that for past 2 weeks. Her scans comes back normal with the exception of the cancer ofc. Even her onc is confused, since she isn't experiencing any pain.

mypinkheaven
Facebook Username: Sally Cunningham

Postby mypinkheaven » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:33 pm

In her stomach and not lower in the abdomen? Is it at night when she lies down? I wonder if more pillows or raising the head of the bed might help.

Might be worth trying an antacid like Tagamet.

Has any doctor ever told her she has a hiatal hernia? That's where to top of the stomach slightly pops up through the muscular hole in the diaphragm.
MSS, KRAS Wild NRAS Mutated
9/2012 CRC IIB Lft Colectomy 0 lymph nodes 0 Chemo
10/2013 CT clear
11/15 CEA 2.7 to 4.6
11/15 Spread to uterus. Hysterectomy
2/16 Pelvic radiation 25, brachytherapy 3
4/16 - 6/16 Xeloda
6/16 CT Several lung nodules 5 mm
8/16 CT Nodules still present. Most stable. Some growth
11/16 Transfer to UCSD Moores
12/16 Folfox + Avastin failed
2/17 Folfiri + Erbitux
8/17 5FU+Erbitux No 5FU bolus
7/18 Spread to vagina
6/18 Folfiri + Avastin + Trametinib
6/18 CEA dropping

Tnguyen

Postby Tnguyen » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:48 pm

mypinkheaven wrote:In her stomach and not lower in the abdomen? Is it at night when she lies down? I wonder if more pillows or raising the head of the bed might help.

Might be worth trying an antacid like Tagamet.

Has any doctor ever told her she has a hiatal hernia? That's where to top of the stomach slightly pops up through the muscular hole in the diaphragm.

Yes in her stomach/abdomen area. She can be sitting or laying and still feel discomfort. She actually feels better laying down.
I was also wondering if it could have been an acid reflux, but guess I'll have to speak to her onc and liver doctor to see.

And no doctor has ever told her she has a hiatal hernia. She never even experienced this before all her chemo treatments. Even back when she was on chemo, she didn't have this feeling. It's recently been like this for the past 2 months? ):

SugarBubbie
Facebook Username: Rhonda Pinkston

Postby SugarBubbie » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:25 pm

Maybe it's gas, just a thought....I've had that feeling when I eat foods that cause it. Maybe try keeping a list and switching up what she eats. Dairy and frozen fruits cause it big time for me
DX Stage II anal cancer 2007 age 57
Radiation 6 weeks, Xeloda/oxilaplatin
DX Breast cancer Jun 2011 Stage3 one lymph nodes
Taxol 12 weeks FAC 4 tx, 31 radiations
5 year survivor certificate from MDA 2012 for anal cancer
DX triple neg bc oct 2015 4 rounds adriamyicyn, 20 radiations
"Positivity has no downside"

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”