How long do Folfox side effects last!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
CarolA
Facebook Username: Carol

How long do Folfox side effects last!

Postby CarolA » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:57 pm

I am currently undergoing Folfox and tried to go back to work full time as a 2nd grade teacher. I lasted 6 weeks. The nausea and the pain in my feet from the neuropathy in addition to fatigue lead me back to medical leave. My last treatment, if I stay on schedule, is November 30 with disconnect from Fu5 pump on December 1st. My question is do the side effects subside quickly? How about Neuropathy , I heard it gets worse after treatment ends. Is this true. I'm scheduled to go back full time Jan 25th is that enough time to recover from the effects of the chemo? Teaching 2nd grade takes a lot of energy... I'm on my feet the entire time.... and a lot of patience something I lose when very tired and feeling ill. Please give me some insight to how I'll feel after treatments. Thanks!
DX Stage IIIB rectal cancer 12/22/15
T3 N1b M0
Grade: 3
2/11/16 Surgery LAR
3/28/16 began 6 wks. 5FU w/ radiation
5/18/16 began Folfox 2 down 10 to go
6/15/16 series of neupogen shots
6/22/16 Folfox 3 down 9 to go continue now on Neulasta shots
10/5/16 Folfox 8.... neuropathy beginning in my toes and finger tips
12/16/16 last Folfox treatment
12/29/16 Ct/Pet scan NED :D
1/27/17 colonoscopy shows scar tissue - needs surgery

Tnguyen
Facebook Username: Natalie Nguyen

Re: How long do Folfox side effects last!

Postby Tnguyen » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:14 pm

Hi there,

For my mom, she used to have the neuropathy on her hands and feet when she was on folfox...but after stopping the treatment for good, her hands and feet went back to normal. She no longer feels sensitivity in her hands or feet, but the fatigue I think is ...."forever". When my mom was on folfox/chemo, she would be weak for about 4-5 days, and afterward she would be right back on her feet. Walking every morning and eating a lot. But After being on chemo for a year, it has really made her body weaker. She isn't able to walk for a long time nor be as active as before. She has to sit down after walking or standing for a long time.
Maybe you can try walking in the morning for like 10-15 min, whenever you're in a better condition to help keep your body active. You can also try eating more fruits and vegetable for more vitamins and proteins. I use to make my mom smoothies for the days she couldn't eat and that helped a little.
I wish you the best Carol!
Mom Diagnosed with CC stage iv with mets to liver and lung
16 rounds of folfox - failed
folfori- some growth, some shrank
folfori+vectibix- failed after 4 months (scans came back with some growth)
currently- (oct12/16) stivarga (2 pills a day)

BeansMama

Postby BeansMama » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:36 pm

My onc has said the neuropathy takes quite some time to get better, it can take months or even years according to him. He also said the effects from the Folfox can continue to worsen for a while after you stop receiving the treatment.

I have been off Folfox since August and my neuropathy has not improved yet. My hands are affected more than my feet, I have lost fine motor skills and my hands are numb all of the time. It is incredibly frustrating when your hands won't work properly.

I have issues with my feet as well, they are numb and wearing shoes is painful. I am dreading when I can no longer wear flip flops and have to wear shoes. Socks are a big issue with me, they have to be soft or they hurt.

I'm hoping my neuropathy starts improving but I'm beginning to think it never will. I hope this is not the case for you and yours resolves quickly. I think it depends on the severity of the neuropathy.

I can't help you on the fatigue, I am receiving Folfiri now so I still deal with the fatigue from chemo. It seems like I sleep all the time.

I will add you to my prayer list, hoping your neuropathy and fatigue resolve quickly.
41 yrs old
Tumor found 9/2015
Surgery 1 - 11/2015 LAR and colostomy
Surgery 2 - 11/2015 wound vac
Surgery 3 - 12/2015 revise resection, move colostomy
Mets to liver - tumor inoperable - one add'l met destroyed
Stage IVa (T3 N2a M1a)
Primary tumor 9 cm x 7.5 cm x 2 cm
Beginning Folfox 1/2016 - Failed
Beginning Folfiri and vectibix 8/2016 — Failed
Beginning Folfirinox + Avastin 11/2016 - Failed
Beginning Keytruda 1/2017
CEA drop from 345 to 7.3 after starting immunotherapy
Lynch positive 3/2016

Pat
Facebook Username: Pat Henderson Sins

Postby Pat » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:31 pm

My last Folfox tx was the end of July. At that time neuropathy in my hands and feet were so painful that I kept gloves and socks on 24/7. The neuropathy in my hands have subsided to the point that my fingers feel odd but not painful. My feet are another story, it is still painful to walk and I sleep with socks on to avoid contact with the sheets.

I also noticed, during tx and now after, an overall fatigue that is brought on when in air conditioned places - especially grocery stores. I go in feeling fine but degrade as I proceed through the aisles. I picture myself as going in perky and leaving dragging. It has only been 2.5 months so I am hopeful the side effects will continue to subside.
57 yr old. Dx 9/2015, Stage IIIc T4aN2bM0 BRAF/V600e
10/2015 Right Hemicolectomy
High Grade, poorly differentiated Adenocarcinoma of the Hepatic Flexure
25 of 30 lymph nodes cancerous extranodal extension
Barrett's Esophagus
11/2015 Folfox 12 cycles stopped 3x for month each due to low blood counts
7/30/2016 - finally finished Folfox
9/15/2016 - Clear colonoscopy, 1 sessile polyp
9/7/2017 - clear colonoscopy, next due in 3 yrs

AbbyDoo

Postby AbbyDoo » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:22 am

Hi CarolA,
I think if you ask 100 people this question you will get 100 different answers. I remember signing a paper stating chemo can stay in your system for 10 years( dam I hope not)
My last infusion was in march and it took 3 or 4 weeks to start feeling semi normal again. My feet did not bother me during chemo but about two weeks after they started tingling and hurting.
Today about seven months later I can clap my hands or snap my fingers without that electrical shock feeling. My feet still bother me, so its always socks. Fatigue is there but not to often.
Sometime I swear I think my wife has a voodoo doll of me. She will throw it on the ground and say OK you nap now. Or take a needle and stick it in my ass or dunk my feet in Ice water :D
53 yrs old
4/30/15 colonoscopy Mass found
5/21/15 staged 3 C rectal cancer
7/3/15 finished xeloda and radiation 28 rounds
9/30/15 LAR
10/29/15 picc line installed
11/2/15 start chemo 5 fu Oxaliplatin
3/7/16 Finish Chemo
4/29/16 Ileostomy Reversal.
7/13/16 colonoscopy clear.
CRC survivors know there Sh%t

cashmere

Postby cashmere » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:42 am

My experience was that my neuropathy set in at 2 months post last chemo. I did have it prior but nothing like it is now. Mine is permanent and I manage it with Lyrica.

It took me about a year to get most of my energy back. You are probably much younger than me, I was 52 when I finished treatments. I would never be able to stand for that long, I can walk forever, but standing is really problematic.

I wish you the best on finishing treatments and I hope you can continue working. Pearl
Stage III
Diagnosed 4/07 at 51
36 rad/24/7 chemo bag
surg 9/07
6 mon chemo w/48 hr bag
ileo reversal 5/08
NED since 9/07!!
Just resolved my 13th blockage
Been able to control blockage issues with fiber supplements!!

CarolA

Postby CarolA » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:50 am

Tnguyen wrote:Hi there,

For my mom, she used to have the neuropathy on her hands and feet when she was on folfox...but after stopping the treatment for good, her hands and feet went back to normal. She no longer feels sensitivity in her hands or feet, but the fatigue I think is ...."forever". When my mom was on folfox/chemo, she would be weak for about 4-5 days, and afterward she would be right back on her feet. Walking every morning and eating a lot. But After being on chemo for a year, it has really made her body weaker. She isn't able to walk for a long time nor be as active as before. She has to sit down after walking or standing for a long time.
Maybe you can try walking in the morning for like 10-15 min, whenever you're in a better condition to help keep your body active. You can also try eating more fruits and vegetable for more vitamins and proteins. I use to make my mom smoothies for the days she couldn't eat and that helped a little.
I wish you the best Carol!

Thank you for replying to my post.... I find your information useful.
T3 N1b M0
2/11/16 Surgery LAR

CarolA

Postby CarolA » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:55 am

Thank you everyone for all the useful accounts from your experiences..... as most of you noted we each have a unique path through this journey and therefore our side effect will be unique as well. I will keep all your information mindful as I come to the end of my treatments and embark on entering the classroom again. Thank you all!
T3 N1b M0
2/11/16 Surgery LAR

AnnClare

Postby AnnClare » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:20 pm

For me, the neuropathy really began to set in around cycle 8. It would diminish some after disconnect, but after cycles 11 & 12, it's hung around. My feet don't hurt, but they're tingly. Same with my fingers, and my fine motor skills are lacking.

I consider myself fortunate, as I was able to work (I'm a massage therapist) throughout my entire treatment, only taking off a day here or there due to fatigue. My onc promised I wouldn't experience nausea, and he was right. He had me get 3 anti-emetics pre-infusion, plus a Sancuso patch to wear for the week I was in Tx.

My 12th and final treatment was 3 weeks ago tomorrow (my last disconnect was on Sept. 26th) and there are still times I feel more tired than I should, but I understand this is 'normal' and to be expected.

Everyone's experience is different. I hope & pray that your side effects will be temporary and will lessen soon. This is a frustrating and looonnng process, but you have to keep in mind that as nasty as the Tx and side effects can be, it's in your best interest to hang in there.

I'm sending good & healing vibes your way. :)
Please keep us posted on how you're doing.
42 yr. old female
Rectal cancer Stage 3C T3 N1 M0 - Sept 2015
28 rounds radiation w/Xeloda - Nov - Dec 2015
2/17/16 - Surgery to remove rectal tumor, lymph nodes (2/20+), ovaries & fallopian tubes, temp. ileostomy
3/28/16 - 9/26/16 -12 rounds FOLFOX w/full oxi
Ileo reversal 10/27/16; Port removed 12/1/16
Lung mets confirmed 2/6/17
March-May 2017 - brain mets; brain rad. 5/9-5/29/17

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”