I know I'm crazy BUT!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Joy

I know I'm crazy BUT!

Postby Joy » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:36 am

Saturday was the worst day of my life. We had to put our little Westie (age 13) to sleep. She was such a tough little dog and had survived 2 years of diabetes and finally went into kidney failure. I went into a complete melt down emotionally when she died - she was my little "rock" always by my side, she slept with me when I came from Chemo treatment. She never left my side since this Cancer journey started.

Her name is Annie and she was the BEST caregiver anyone could ever have wanted.

I can't stop crying - next Chemo is scheduled for Monday --- and I honestly can't face it without having her by my side.

The pain of losing her is really hard - non pet owners will never understand what I am going through.

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:15 am

Joy,
I understand completely what you are going through. I have lost some of my most cherished fur babies at the most inopportune times. But, don't be afraid to lean on your family, friends and those of us here who know the love of a cherished pet, especially me.

You WILL get through this and you'll be stronger for it. Thank you so much for sharing.

ASTEPHENS33

Pets

Postby ASTEPHENS33 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:34 am

I can also relate to your post. My cocker spaniel died at age 6 of cancer. It was because of her I realized the need for early detection and had my postponed colonoscopy. She stayed with me through the surgery and most of the chemo treatment. I think when she finally passed, she knew it was because I was strong enough. Keep fighting for her!

johnmeissner

Postby johnmeissner » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:34 am

The previous post was made by me. You can talk to me about fur babies anytime!
John

http://www.raybartley.com/willis.html

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:55 am

I am so sorry for your loss. We have a Westie now, she's about a year old, and is the baby of the family. We lost our family cat last year (19 yrs old). This cat had been with my husband longer than me, had been there for all the moves, kids, etc. When they pass, it truly is lossing a member of the family. Know that your westie is still with you in spirit.

Are you familiar with the Rainbow Bridge, a place where animals go to wait for you until your time comes, at which point you are reunited again. I will try and get the poem if your're not familiar with it. It truly is beautiful.

Again, I am sorry for your loss

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

cynnycal

Postby cynnycal » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:29 pm

i'm sooooo sorry Joy! I would just absolutely not no what to do with myself if my dog passed away.
he is literally my child (probably VERY literally given i do not have the ability to have children now).
And i know what you mean about your pets being there for you during it all. He's very genuinely the one being in my life who just doesn't make a judgement or give an opinion either way. i can come home, feel like crap, tell him how much i feel like crap, and he just listens, and then snuggles with me. no questioning, no asking 'how i feel'. he just knows. and acts accordingly.

Here's my little embarrassing moment of the day. after i got home from my very first chemo treatment, i was a little freaked out. i thought i was 'poisonous' or something (i thought all these chemicals that had been pumped into me were being secreted in my sweat.) and my dog who hadn't seen me for 4 days was so happy to see me he was licking my hand almost obsessively (i just couldn't get him to stop).
Later that night when i was going to bed, my dog normally comes and cuddles right next to me, with his head right below my chin. but that night he just kinda laid lethargically at the end of th ebed. made no effort whatsoever to come near me. i called him, he just laid there. i nudged him with my foot and he didn't budge. i got up and went to lift him up, and he was just limp. he was breathing and his eyes were open, but for some reason, i completely freaked out. i was positive that he had been poisoned by my toxic skin, and was now suffering from ingesting chemo drugs.
i yelled for my boyfriend to get in there, and i was crying hysterically like "somethings wrong with the dog! he's not acting normal, we need to take him to a vet now!"
we decided to just observe him for awhile, and it must've turned out he was just really really really tired that day or something b/c in about a half hour or so when it was time for him to be let outside, he jumped up wagging his tail and all.
i was so freaked out like "please please please dont get sick!"
so i completely understand.
(p.s. my boy can be seen at: http://cancer-sucks.com/gallery/pics/fa ... n_wink.jpg winking at all you guys!)

DoggyLove

How Much is that Doggy in the Window?

Postby DoggyLove » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:08 pm

I am non pet owner now but totally know how you feel. My last pet was in High School but when she died, I was devasted. Now, every time I dream of my family, Hannah (my dog) is there. She was very much a part of the family and will never be forgotton.

Maybe Annie is in doggy heaven hanging out with Hannah. Maybe Annie is barking up a storm with God or whomever. Maybe Annie is telling the head honcho to throw you a frickin bone! You've been through enough!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”