Question...Cancer and privacy vs openness

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
AnnClare

Re: Question...Cancer and privacy vs openness

Postby AnnClare » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:05 pm

ABMom - I totally understand your reluctance to say where in your body. When I told a good friend recently, she asked where and I told her, prefacing it with, "The most un-sexy, un-glamourous of cancers," in an attempt to lighten the tone. But I agree - it's embarrassing to say, "My ass."
42 yr. old female
Rectal cancer Stage 3C T3 N1 M0 - Sept 2015
28 rounds radiation w/Xeloda - Nov - Dec 2015
2/17/16 - Surgery to remove rectal tumor, lymph nodes (2/20+), ovaries & fallopian tubes, temp. ileostomy
3/28/16 - 9/26/16 -12 rounds FOLFOX w/full oxi
Ileo reversal 10/27/16; Port removed 12/1/16
Lung mets confirmed 2/6/17
March-May 2017 - brain mets; brain rad. 5/9-5/29/17

ABMom

Postby ABMom » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:22 pm

AnnClare wrote:ABMom - I totally understand your reluctance to say where in your body. When I told a good friend recently, she asked where and I told her, prefacing it with, "The most un-sexy, un-glamourous of cancers," in an attempt to lighten the tone. But I agree - it's embarrassing to say, "My ass."

I can't tell you how much better that makes me feel! Even when I've told people, I've told them colorectal cancer because rectal cancer just seems a bit TMI to me.
39 Stage 1 RC
T2N0Mx - 2016-10-07
LAR - 2016-11-01
Illeo-reversal - 2017-01-27

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:00 pm

Ass Cancer...Ask/Answer :shock: :mrgreen:

BeansMama

Postby BeansMama » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:54 am

ABMom wrote:
AnnClare wrote:ABMom - I totally understand your reluctance to say where in your body. When I told a good friend recently, she asked where and I told her, prefacing it with, "The most un-sexy, un-glamourous of cancers," in an attempt to lighten the tone. But I agree - it's embarrassing to say, "My ass."

I can't tell you how much better that makes me feel! Even when I've told people, I've told them colorectal cancer because rectal cancer just seems a bit TMI to me.

You definitely are not alone in the embarrassment of it. I generally just say colon because it implies belly rather than backside. I frequently say to my husband of all the cancers I could have ended up with I get butt cancer... I am incredibly self conscious in person so talking about it can be difficult for me with people I don't know very well.
41 yrs old
Tumor found 9/2015
Surgery 1 - 11/2015 LAR and colostomy
Surgery 2 - 11/2015 wound vac
Surgery 3 - 12/2015 revise resection, move colostomy
Mets to liver - tumor inoperable - one add'l met destroyed
Stage IVa (T3 N2a M1a)
Primary tumor 9 cm x 7.5 cm x 2 cm
Beginning Folfox 1/2016 - Failed
Beginning Folfiri and vectibix 8/2016 — Failed
Beginning Folfirinox + Avastin 11/2016 - Failed
Beginning Keytruda 1/2017
CEA drop from 345 to 7.3 after starting immunotherapy
Lynch positive 3/2016

kellywin

Postby kellywin » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:11 am

I am very open about it. Originally, I didn't tell anyone outside of my family and a couple of friends. I didn't tell people at work (outside of my boss and a friend) until I was finished with radiation. And I can't even describe the shock, no one knew.

Now, one of the main reasons I am open about it is because of awareness. I want people to understand it happens to A LOT of young people. I've had 2 people come talk to me about problems they had with bleeding only because they knew my symptoms, and because of that, they went to a doctor.

Another reason is the stigma of being embarrassed to say "rectal cancer" - I only ever hear "colon", people are so afraid of "rectal". Why should I be embarrassed, why should others feel embarrassed. Everyone and their brother talks about boobs. But somehow assess and shit are off limits. I call bullshit on that.

I visit this board because I think if there's something I can do to help out someone else, I want to do it.
Kelly, mom 14 yo girl
Dx 11/15/12 Rectal Cancer @ age 40
Stage IIIC
5.5 weeks Xeloda & Radiation - complete 2/5/13
Colectomy 3/12/13, 7 of 14 nodes positive - no ileo
4/24/13-8/20/13 - 5 rounds Xelox, 1 Xeloda only

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:47 pm

kellywin wrote:Another reason is the stigma of being embarrassed to say "rectal cancer" - I only ever hear "colon", people are so afraid of "rectal". Why should I be embarrassed, why should others feel embarrassed. Everyone and their brother talks about boobs. But somehow assess and shit are off limits. I call bullshit on that.

I completely agree.

Andrea1976

Postby Andrea1976 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:15 am

I decided to keep quiet for now. My mom knows, my dad died unexpected last year. My husband knows and I explained it to my children. More to focus on their screening than on the Cancer. I told my 2 best friends. 1 listened and was supportive the first few months. Other immefiately became distant. So strange... I never raised it with her again. But I know that I can't count on her. I did step down from an intense volunteer position and my team of parents know the reason. But that's it. I don't like people asking me questions etc.

NateA
Facebook Username: Nathan Drew Allen

Postby NateA » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:18 pm

Open. I want to spread the word about early onset CRC as much as possible. At first I was totally closed up except for my family. I was embarrassed or something. Some things motivated me, got ,everything off my butt, and sounding the alarm. Saving lives one scope at a timeeting :D
7/15 dx CC stage 4 with lots of liver mets CEA 208
KRAS Mutant G12V, MSS.
9/23 from folfoxiri to folfox and Xeloda. CEA 25
11/11/15 all liver markers in the zone, CEA 4.0, moving to Avastin/xeloda for now..tumors shrinking
01/13/16 Avastin/xeloda CEA 3.5
03/11/16 clean PET CEA 4.4

Lydia666

Postby Lydia666 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:36 pm

I have been open because that was my first instinct- i wanted to tell strangers on the street!!!. Now, a year and a half later and one more cancer later ( breast), I don't feel the same. I hate people's reactions, the stay positive, the oh i am soooo sorry bla bla, none of it is doing me any good. Plus I am sick of cancer myself so I prefer to talk and hear about other stuff.
Oct 2012- thyroid cancer
June 19, 2015 Dx@39 yrs- CRC-T3N1M0
No vascular, no perineural invasion
Aug-Sept 2015- 28 rad/5FU
Oct 28, 2015- LAR- temp ileo, neg. nodes- 0/11
March 2016- 6 rounds Xeloda/positive CHEK2 mutation
August 2016- DCIS and decided post prophylactic double mastectomy
May 2018 - clean CT
Sept 2018-clean scope
Devastation, total shock- oct 2018, invasion of peri mets
Dec 20 - 2 round of folfox
Mom to 4 & 7 yrs kids - at least i brought them to this level of independence.

recruiter
Facebook Username: Bill Wilson

Postby recruiter » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:08 pm

I chose to be open, especially on Facebook, for a selfish reason - I didn't want to answer the same question 75 times.

It has had its advantages and its drawbacks. I've been able to reconnect with some wonderful people.

But I've been disappointed by the reaction of others. I've been treated like a leper by some, either for the cancer or the sadness I still feel over the death of my beloved mother in May, the latter I offer no apology to anyone for. Mom was my strength.

And there's been the "Anything I can do for you, just call" crowd. I'd say about 8 out of every 10 of those really mean, "But don't call me because I don't really want to help. I just want to offer so I can feel better about myself and get away from you."

Cynical, I know, but it's reality.
DX Stage 4 2/16 with lung mets
4/16 CT, PET show "marked improvement" in size and number of lung mets, rectal tumor.
8/16 "Great report" from scans, lung mets continue to shrink in size and number, CEA 1.6, cancer "in remission" but surgeon believes tumor remains too large.
10/16 Xrays for constipation problems reveal tumor occupies 25 percent of rectal canal: Occupied 80 percent upon diagnosis 2/16
12/16 Back on Avastin; tumor can be removed, but need better margins.

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:02 pm

recruiter wrote:I chose to be open, especially on Facebook, for a selfish reason - I didn't want to answer the same question 75 times.

It has had its advantages and its drawbacks. I've been able to reconnect with some wonderful people.

But I've been disappointed by the reaction of others. I've been treated like a leper by some, either for the cancer or the sadness I still feel over the death of my beloved mother in May, the latter I offer no apology to anyone for. Mom was my strength.

And there's been the "Anything I can do for you, just call" crowd. I'd say about 8 out of every 10 of those really mean, "But don't call me because I don't really want to help. I just want to offer so I can feel better about myself and get away from you."

Cynical, I know, but it's reality.

You should never feel sorry for grieving, no matter how long. So sorry.

And the "anything I can do" thing, yeah, how true!

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:03 pm

Thank you to everyone for your repiles

horizon

Postby horizon » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:24 am

ABMom wrote:I'm still pretty new to this game but, right now, I'm keeping things quiet unless someone asks. I've told direct family (parents, siblings and in-laws). I stepped down from a few volunteer positions some of them know I have cancer but not where. Some I just told I was sick and would need to focus on my health for a while. If someone has asked (and very few have asked), I've told them but I'm still at the embarrassed part. I'm not sure if that's something I'll ever get past.

My "favorite" part about telling people is the inevitable "How did realize you might have cancer?" question. Then I'm discussing my poop with people.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

Pat
Facebook Username: Pat Henderson Sins

Postby Pat » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:14 am

I am open about my cancer, mostly because I talk a lot naturally. :lol:
In the beginning I tried to keep my health issue to myself but as time/treatment went on I felt it better to tell people...to explain my hair loss, wearing gloves in the summer, and avoidance of close contact (due to extreme low blood counts), etc. I gained so much from letting people into my world. Strangers became friends, they are helpful and ask for updates on my condition. I also found others that have or had cancer and now we are buddies.

I live in a Senior community and at 58 considered a young'n. Nothing takes the bite out of cancer than having many neighbors that have gone through cancer treatments 15 and 20 years ago, and are still going strong. It looks like I may have more time to cross items off my bucket list than I initially thought.
57 yr old. Dx 9/2015, Stage IIIc T4aN2bM0 BRAF/V600e
10/2015 Right Hemicolectomy
High Grade, poorly differentiated Adenocarcinoma of the Hepatic Flexure
25 of 30 lymph nodes cancerous extranodal extension
Barrett's Esophagus
11/2015 Folfox 12 cycles stopped 3x for month each due to low blood counts
7/30/2016 - finally finished Folfox
9/15/2016 - Clear colonoscopy, 1 sessile polyp
9/7/2017 - clear colonoscopy, next due in 3 yrs

helen098

Postby helen098 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:21 am

At first I didn't tell many people
But about half way through chemo
I was just so sick I didn't give a dam
I used to be a very private person
I have found it very freeing
In the beginning I would talk to anyone about cancer
Now 10 year plus after my diagnosis
I am I little more selective
Though if I am having a Mamo or a dentist appointment and the conversation
Is going that way I have no problem
Telling complete strangers my story
And asking why they won't go for a colonoscopy
And debunking all of the myths
I have gotten many people to go and as some
Had polyps I may have saved some lives or at least avoided some need needless suffering
It feels good

I think most people get over the embarrassment
Eventually
I mean it's hard to take life seriously when you're pooping in the street
stage 3A surgery 6/6/6 finished chemo jan 07
11 5FU/12 Levcouorin/10oxaliplatim
port removed jun 07
anal fistula surgery oct 05 may 07 feb 08 sep 08 jun 09

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”