Dad with stage IV colon cancer

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Karen

Dad with stage IV colon cancer

Postby Karen » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:03 pm

My dad was recently diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer. He had about a foot of his colon and 11 lymph nodes removed and started chemo (FOLFOX w/ Avastin). His side effects were horrible...unable to sleep, feeling like he's crawling out of his skin, unable to hold still, etc. After 2 months they did a CT scan last week and told us that the cancer has progressed. They switched him to CPT-11 with Erbitux. He's only 62 and otherwise healthy. He had lost 20 pounds before surgery and is still losing weight. He has lost over 30 pounds now. The metastases are covering a LOT of his liver and the doctors say surgery will never be an option. Last week I found two doctors at the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Texas who are growing the healthy part of the liver and then doing a resection. Help! I'm waiting to hear from them, but my dad is very depressed. He tends to be a skeptic and I think that is hurting him. He has been unable to work since May. Any advice? My sister and I have been doing a lot of research, but it seems overwhelming. I found the doctors in Texas by accident, really, and they are the best hope I have found! Is anyone familiar with Dr. Abdalla or Dr. Wolff or their Portal Vein Embolization or Staged Resection treatments? Has anyone had their tumor shrink after not responding to the first chemo?

Thanks, this is my first time in a chat room and it feels kind of strange, but I am desparate...
Karen

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:33 am

Karen,

I am sorry to hear about your dad. MD Anderson is suppose to be one of the BEST!! I've heard from other people, that MD Anderson was able to help when other places said nothing could be done. So please wait to hear back from MD Anderson. That procedure you mentioned was totally new to me. While I'm not familiar with the doctors you mentioned, if they are with MD Anderson, I would assume they are some of the best in there field.

Depression is common when dealing with cancer. When your sick (cancer), and it drags on and it sounds like your dad was having a reaction to chemo, depression will happen. He should be able to get a prescr. from his doctor for anti- depression pills. This should help him feel better emotionally.

Please know that alot of advancements have been made in colon cancer in recent years, so if you're doing research, please don't get bog down with the static. They are 5-10 yrs old, outdated. If you read some of the other threads here, you will notice that there are stage 4 survivors here. Advancement have been made where they are able to treat this like an on going cronic condition. Have you checked out the colondar (calendar) yet?

This is a great site for support and information, so please keep coming back. Please post here what MD Anderson said, that procedure you metioned was news to me.

If you haven't already, please make sure you and your sister get an colonoscopy, as soon as possible.

Hope you hear from MD Anderson soon. Hope this helps. Good luck, be there for your dad.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”