Xeloda VS 5-FU

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
horizon

Re: Xeloda VS 5-FU

Postby horizon » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:37 pm

PeterG wrote:Thanks Horizon--Yeah, aside from the hassle of having it put in, and the saline flushing tethering me to the hospital, the port is not my main concern. The pump, however,does not seem like something I want to put up with. Will though--didn't particularly care for the resection, or the colonoscopies, or any of this curse. But I, like most of us here, have learned to adopt. Just trying to avoid being defined by my illness--which to some feels like hiding it out of shame; I do not see it that way. Not ashamed, just hate explaining, answering ignorant questions, and undeserved and unwanted pity.

I understand completely. When I was going through treatment at work I told only my boss and closest coworkers. I have some people I consider good friends that met me after my treatment ended that have no idea what I've been through.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

TXLiz

Postby TXLiz » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:29 pm

When I started chemo my onc said in his experience, the 5fu pump had less severe side effects than xeloda.

I had 5fu. I hated the pump. I always went in stores, restaurants, etc, while hooked to it, and I never once had anyone pay attention to the pump or tubing that was bothersome. I always put my handbag over it on the same arm and it seemed like no one noticed.

Good luck going forward.
Vomiting and blockage 9/19/16 46 y F
R hemi colectomy 9/20/16
Stage 3 B CRC, located in cecum
3 out of 16 lymph nodes positive
perineural invasion/lymphovascular invasion
infiltrating, mod differentiated adenocarcinoma with a mucinous component
separate tumor nodules present in pericolonic adipose tissue
MSI-high
Baseline PET scan clear 9/16 CEA 0.5
FOLFOX 10/16- 3/17
April 16th, CT scan clear. CEA 1.1
Lynch "inconclusive"
Colonoscopy 10/5/2017 clear

PeterG

XELIRI vesus FOLFIRI

Postby PeterG » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:32 am

Help--looking for feedback from folks with XELIRI experience *and* analytical/clinicall/ statistical information as to strengths or drawbacks to shifting from fluorouracil (via pump) with infused irinotecan and infused AVASTIN, to oral capecitabine (XELODA) plus infused irinotecan and Avastin.

Background/Context: Last week, I finished my seventh round of FOLFIRI with AVASTIN--had reluctantly gone to a port on condition that I could use a small, non-mechanical, non-electronic "tennis ball" pump for irinotican. following minor growth of lung mets after two years stability and shrinking with "vaccine" (Chang/Nesslehut Dendriti thing) for a year and then Xeloda and Avastin for a year plus. The Fofiri appears to be working; however the hospital just put the kibosh on the small pump, and I need to work and work out and try to remain somewhat discreet about my condition--I have not told employer or clients, or most people and intend to keep it that way until this disease progresses to a prohibitive point.

Oncologist has suggested that capecitabine (XELODA) combined with Irinotican and Avastin is a good solution--I would only be in for an infusion once every three weeks, no pump and I have a record of tolerating XELODA. I am attaching an article that indicates the clinical effects are very similar and side effects not too much worse, but I am hoping for feedback from Colon Talk folks who either have experienced the two, or who are knowledgeable and more scientifically savvy and I vis-a-vis the research on this.

URGENCY: This requires a scheduling change in a busy infusion clinic, next week. Already a big monkey wrench in the system, and I need to advise them and lobby in a hurry.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... po=44.7368

Thanks,

Peter
DX Aug. 2013 Resection 09/13.
08/14 CT : .7 CM pulmonary nodule--& multiple nodules.
03/15 15 dendritic cell vaccine-monthly
05/16 begin 3000 MG Xeloda & Avastin
11-16 shrinkage.”Sstable"
2/2017: Port installed. Begin Folfiri and Avastin
8/2017: Xeloda, Avastin and Iranotican. 3-wk cycle.
2-6-18: small pulmonary embolim—some growth in one pulmonary tumor. Start Xarelto.
2-8-18 : Change of chemo: Xeloda with Oxaliplatin no avastin.
9/2018: Tumor growth. Begin Stivarga.

ktwmn

Postby ktwmn » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:55 pm

Oncologist has suggested that capecitabine (XELODA) combined with Irinotican and Avastin is a good solution--I would only be in for an infusion once every three weeks, no pump and I have a record of tolerating XELODA. I am attaching an article that indicates the clinical effects are very similar and side effects not too much worse, but I am hoping for feedback from Colon Talk folks who either have experienced the two, or who are knowledgeable and more scientifically savvy and I vis-a-vis the research on this.

Peter:

Capecitabine basically becomes 5FU in your system, so it has the same effect as 5FU. I personally prefer taking capecitabine because you are less attached to the clinic and you feel less like a cancer patient. And, moreover, no pump! As for the side effects, the hand/foot symptoms are greater, and there seems to be more fatigue than with the pump. Taking the pills is like spreading out the 5FU gradually over a longer period than concentrating it within 3 days.
Dx 7/11, Stage IIIc CC
12 txs Folfox 8/2011-2/2012
MSS, KRAS-mut G12D
NED until 3/2015, mets to liver and peritoneum
April-December 2015: 15 txs folfiri+avastin
Liver mets resolved; pelvic met remains
January-May 2016: folfox+avastin; allergic rxn to oxi
June-August 2016: 5FU+avastin
October 2016: looking into immuno trial
January 2017: maintenance chemo xeloda + avastin

WriterGirl1969

Re: XELIRI vesus FOLFIRI

Postby WriterGirl1969 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:52 pm

PeterG wrote:Help--looking for feedback from folks with XELIRI experience *and* analytical/clinicall/ statistical information as to strengths or drawbacks to shifting from fluorouracil (via pump) with infused irinotecan and infused AVASTIN, to oral capecitabine (XELODA) plus infused irinotecan and Avastin.

Background/Context: Last week, I finished my seventh round of FOLFIRI with AVASTIN--had reluctantly gone to a port on condition that I could use a small, non-mechanical, non-electronic "tennis ball" pump for irinotican. following minor growth of lung mets after two years stability and shrinking with "vaccine" (Chang/Nesslehut Dendriti thing) for a year and then Xeloda and Avastin for a year plus. The Fofiri appears to be working; however the hospital just put the kibosh on the small pump, and I need to work and work out and try to remain somewhat discreet about my condition--I have not told employer or clients, or most people and intend to keep it that way until this disease progresses to a prohibitive point.

URGENCY: This requires a scheduling change in a busy infusion clinic, next week. Already a big monkey wrench in the system, and I need to advise them and lobby in a hurry.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... po=44.7368

Thanks,

Peter

Hi Peter. I agree completely with KTWMN's response. I did a lot of research on 5FU vs. Xeloda prior to my treatment. You can probably find the links to the studies you're looking for if you do a search for this topic description. If you can't find them, send me a PM and I'll shoot you the links I have. But basically, as ktwmn noted, the only real difference is that Xeloda turns into 5FU in your colon. Some of the studies I read indicated that this was actually found to be more effective, since the drug did not have to travel all the way through your body (via your veins) before reaching your colon, thus reducing certain side effects, although probably not all of them. Xeloda is also "pre-made" so you get preset amounts of certain components of the drug. I found this to not be a very big impact at all, and for me the freedom and normalcy of taking pills and going to work as usual was a much better environment for me emotionally than sitting hooked up to a pump in a facility, or taking one home where my young son could potentially see it or bump it or some such. Plus, for me the idea of a port felt really invasive. Taking pills didn't. It's different for everyone.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ping me if I can provide any other info. As a note, I did Xeloda as a mono-therapy, so I did not have the other treatment drugs you are having.

Hugs, Smiles and Prayers,
Tracy
DX 3/4/2016 Colon Cancer; age 46 Mom of then 4-yr-old
Stage IIIB: T3N1M0
3/31/16 Surgery
4 to 10/2016: Xeloda Monotherapy
CEA: 10/16 0.56, 1/17 0.54
CT CLEAR: 3/6/17; 4/17/18; 4/16/19
NED 3 years
“If I can help somebody as I walk along, then my living shall not be in vain.”

LeonW

Postby LeonW » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:27 am

ktwmn wrote: . . . I personally prefer taking capecitabine because you are less attached to the clinic and you feel less like a cancer patient . . .

Yep. I've no pump experience so cannot compare, but me too - I liked (yes, really) the three week cycle: a well-marked start (=infusion day), then one week patient and a week returning to normal. And concluded with a week off: no pills, not feeling patient, recharging the batteries for the next cycle.

I've no regrets not having lived with a pump inside.
Best wishes, L
Dec 2012 - CC 2 unresect liver mets, CEA 41.8 (MM 65yrs)
Jan 2013 - colectomy @ spleen 2/26 nodes IVa T3N1bM1a
Feb-Jul - 1x Xelox-7x Xelox/Avastin, shrinkage from #3
Aug - 2x PV embolization (both failed)
Sep 2013 - R liver resect, 25d hosp (liver failure/delirium, lung emboli, encephalopathy), no living cancer (pCR)
2014/15 - recovery, scopy: 2 polyps
2016 - new town/life
2018, scopy: 2 polyps
2018/20 low (1.0-1.4) CEAs/clean CTs: 4x2014, 6x2015-17, 3x2018-20
next June 2021!

skb

Postby skb » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:28 pm

I have done both Xeloda (oral pills for 25 days) and 5FU infusion (only one infusion so far).

The side effects will vary from person to person, I can narrate mine.

I had ZERO side effects from Xeloda. No finger peeling, no fatigue.

From 5FU+oxaliplatin infusion, I am experiencing many side effects but all within tolerable limits. These include constriction of throat, finger tingling, mild nausea . Since the infusion involves many medications including oxaliplatin, it is difficult to tell if a particular side effect is due to 5FU or something else in the cocktail.

I would prefer Xeloda to 5FU pump any day. However I did not fight my oncologist on it after he placed me in Wait and Watch program. I thought that itself was a lottery and I need to put up with other pains that come my way.
3/21/17: Dx T3N0M0-mid rectal 4.5cm
4/18 to 5/22/17: chemoradiation- Xeloda and daily radiation (25 doses)
6/28/17: clean biopsy, clean scans
8/17: MRI - no evidence of tumor, no surgery, starts wait and watch
8/17 to 12/17: Folfox
8/19 VATS - 1cm lung nodule
7/17/21- Clean CT, CEA 15.6 !
8/24/21- PET , biopsy finds met along obturator lymph nodes
10/1/21- Surgery , 12 rounds of FOLFIRI -ended 4/22
4/15/22, 9/6/22. 1/20/23- Clean scan, normal CEA
10/23- four sub-centimeter lung nodules, all PET negative

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:14 am

Thanks KTWM: I was treated for over a year with Xeloda aand Avastin. Tolerated it relatively well. Switched to pump when I left monotherapy for Folfiri w/Avastin. My concern now is for increased toxicity with XELIRI...this has been reported in some studies. Looking for actual experience...totally agree on pump and identity, btw.
ktwmn wrote:

Peter:

Capecitabine basically becomes 5FU in your system, so it has the same effect as 5FU. I personally prefer taking capecitabine because you are less attached to the clinic and you feel less like a cancer patient. And, moreover, no pump! As for the side effects, the hand/foot symptoms are greater, and there seems to be more fatigue than with the pump. Taking the pills is like spreading out the 5FU gradually over a longer period than concentrating it within 3 days.
DX Aug. 2013 Resection 09/13.
08/14 CT : .7 CM pulmonary nodule--& multiple nodules.
03/15 15 dendritic cell vaccine-monthly
05/16 begin 3000 MG Xeloda & Avastin
11-16 shrinkage.”Sstable"
2/2017: Port installed. Begin Folfiri and Avastin
8/2017: Xeloda, Avastin and Iranotican. 3-wk cycle.
2-6-18: small pulmonary embolim—some growth in one pulmonary tumor. Start Xarelto.
2-8-18 : Change of chemo: Xeloda with Oxaliplatin no avastin.
9/2018: Tumor growth. Begin Stivarga.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”