Update and a funny! What else can these treatments take from me?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
BeansMama

Update and a funny! What else can these treatments take from me?

Postby BeansMama » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:56 pm

Update!!!!

Saw the onc, according to him. He has not seen the vectibix rash get as bad as mine was after the first treatment. Gave me oral antibiotics that I will be on for the duration to see if that helps. His nurse gave me some lotion samples to try for the lizard skin.

I do have a funny, someone entered my pharmacy into the computers incorrectly. My script was sent to a pharmacy in Illinois instead of the one I use in North Carolina!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't been on much lately, I have really been struggling the last week or so. It has been an emotional roller coaster to say the least.

I have the full blown vectibix rash. I feel so GD ugly. I rarely leave the house (only if I absolutely have to) and it hurts! My skin is not only red, bumpy, has more pimples than a kid heading to their Jr prom, and itchy, but it hurts like hell too.

I am also heading into what I refer to as the lizard phase. It is becoming dry and scaly on top of everything listed above. I have resorted to organic coconut oil with some soothing essential oils that also combat infection mixed in. Regular lotion just was not doing enough. The catch 22? Scales better, pimples worse.... Oh and I'm shiny...

Thank God hubs loves me unconditionally because I know I have been a bear to deal with this last week on top of everything else he has going on.

Anyway, thanks for reading my whine fest. Anyone have any idea of there is a light at the end of the vectibix tunnel? Or will I deal with this the entire time I am being treated?
Last edited by BeansMama on Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
41 yrs old
Tumor found 9/2015
Surgery 1 - 11/2015 LAR and colostomy
Surgery 2 - 11/2015 wound vac
Surgery 3 - 12/2015 revise resection, move colostomy
Mets to liver - tumor inoperable - one add'l met destroyed
Stage IVa (T3 N2a M1a)
Primary tumor 9 cm x 7.5 cm x 2 cm
Beginning Folfox 1/2016 - Failed
Beginning Folfiri and vectibix 8/2016 — Failed
Beginning Folfirinox + Avastin 11/2016 - Failed
Beginning Keytruda 1/2017
CEA drop from 345 to 7.3 after starting immunotherapy
Lynch positive 3/2016

Marylandmaniac

Re: What else can these treatments take from me?

Postby Marylandmaniac » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:35 pm

SO sorry to hear about this. Is this something the doctors said would happen? Your husband sounds like a great guy!
DX 6/29/16 7 cm tumor, 10 cm fr av
CT scan ab,MRI abdomen - 9mm spot on liver,CT scan of chest lungs clear
Special staging MRI - clinical staging stage 3b - T3N2M0 (unless spot proves to be met)
8/11 PET scan - spot lit up not nodes
8/16 Port in, 8/17 liver microwave abltn - spot gone
8/23 6 rds FOLFOX started
PET scan 10-13 43% red of tumor and no mets shown
Exam tumor greatly reduced. Surgery 12-14-16.
Clear margins, 7 out of 13 nodes positive. Tumor 2.1 cm
Kras wild, MMS, not MSI. 6 more rds FOLFOX

mypinkheaven
Facebook Username: Sally Cunningham

Postby mypinkheaven » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:26 pm

You could never be ugly! And we all love you unconditionally! I'll try to research what to use on that darn rash.

Sally
MSS, KRAS Wild NRAS Mutated
9/2012 CRC IIB Lft Colectomy 0 lymph nodes 0 Chemo
10/2013 CT clear
11/15 CEA 2.7 to 4.6
11/15 Spread to uterus. Hysterectomy
2/16 Pelvic radiation 25, brachytherapy 3
4/16 - 6/16 Xeloda
6/16 CT Several lung nodules 5 mm
8/16 CT Nodules still present. Most stable. Some growth
11/16 Transfer to UCSD Moores
12/16 Folfox + Avastin failed
2/17 Folfiri + Erbitux
8/17 5FU+Erbitux No 5FU bolus
7/18 Spread to vagina
6/18 Folfiri + Avastin + Trametinib
6/18 CEA dropping

mypinkheaven
Facebook Username: Sally Cunningham

Postby mypinkheaven » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:38 pm

Seems to work best if you start treatment for the rash before it gets too bad. It will go away.

http://fightcolorectalcancer.org/in-lov ... _vectibix/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2644628/:
Skin toxicity treatment in the pre-emptive arm included skin moisturizer, sun-screen, 1% hydrocortisone cream, and doxycycline 100 mg twice daily.

Good news: Available retrospective evidence suggests that the appearance and severity of skin rash is positively correlated with objective tumour response to egfri therapy.

Tips for managing your skin include:

Use a thick, alcohol-free emollient lotion or cream on your skin at least twice a day, including right after bathing.
Avoid sun exposure, as it can worsen the rash or cause a severe burn. Use a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher and wear a hat and sunglasses to protect your head and face from the sun.
Maintain sun safety precautions for at least 2 months after the last dose.
Bathe/shower in cool or lukewarm (not hot) water and pat your skin dry.
Use soaps, lotions and laundry detergents without alcohol, perfumes or dyes.
Wear gloves to wash dishes or do housework or gardening.
Drink plenty of water and try not to scratch or rub your skin.
Notify your healthcare team if you develop a rash, as they can provide suggestions to manage the rash and/or prescribe a topical medication to apply to the rash or an oral medication.
If you develop peeling or blistering of the skin, notify your healthcare team right away.
MSS, KRAS Wild NRAS Mutated
9/2012 CRC IIB Lft Colectomy 0 lymph nodes 0 Chemo
10/2013 CT clear
11/15 CEA 2.7 to 4.6
11/15 Spread to uterus. Hysterectomy
2/16 Pelvic radiation 25, brachytherapy 3
4/16 - 6/16 Xeloda
6/16 CT Several lung nodules 5 mm
8/16 CT Nodules still present. Most stable. Some growth
11/16 Transfer to UCSD Moores
12/16 Folfox + Avastin failed
2/17 Folfiri + Erbitux
8/17 5FU+Erbitux No 5FU bolus
7/18 Spread to vagina
6/18 Folfiri + Avastin + Trametinib
6/18 CEA dropping

BeansMama

Postby BeansMama » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:44 pm

Marylandmaniac wrote:SO sorry to hear about this. Is this something the doctors said would happen? Your husband sounds like a great guy!

Yes, my oncologist warned me about it. The vectibix is a monoclonal antibody that attacks the epidermal growth factor receptors. Larry my large liver tumor happens to give off the signals for that so the vectibix will attack him. The only thing that sucks is it attacks my skin too. I am really trying to look at it in the frame of mind that hey, it means it is working right? But it's hard when you end up crying every time you look in a mirror.

I really won the husband lottery I think. He is an amazing guy and I am so lucky to have him.
41 yrs old
Tumor found 9/2015
Stage IVa (T3 N2a M1a)
Lynch positive 3/2016

BeansMama

Postby BeansMama » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:52 pm

mypinkheaven wrote:Seems to work best if you start treatment for the rash before it gets too bad. It will go away.

http://fightcolorectalcancer.org/in-lov ... _vectibix/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2644628/:
Skin toxicity treatment in the pre-emptive arm included skin moisturizer, sun-screen, 1% hydrocortisone cream, and doxycycline 100 mg twice daily.

Good news: Available retrospective evidence suggests that the appearance and severity of skin rash is positively correlated with objective tumour response to egfri therapy.

Tips for managing your skin include:

Use a thick, alcohol-free emollient lotion or cream on your skin at least twice a day, including right after bathing.
Avoid sun exposure, as it can worsen the rash or cause a severe burn. Use a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher and wear a hat and sunglasses to protect your head and face from the sun.
Maintain sun safety precautions for at least 2 months after the last dose.
Bathe/shower in cool or lukewarm (not hot) water and pat your skin dry.
Use soaps, lotions and laundry detergents without alcohol, perfumes or dyes.
Wear gloves to wash dishes or do housework or gardening.
Drink plenty of water and try not to scratch or rub your skin.
Notify your healthcare team if you develop a rash, as they can provide suggestions to manage the rash and/or prescribe a topical medication to apply to the rash or an oral medication.
If you develop peeling or blistering of the skin, notify your healthcare team right away.

Thanks my pink heaven! That is some info I did not come across in my searches. I have been using the lotion my doc prescribed religiously for the pimples - he gave me a clindamyacin lotion, I think I need to find a better lotion for just regular skincare though, I had to stop using the one I have (it's for sensitive skin too!!) because it burns when I put it on. That's when I went to coconut oil and essential oils.

Need to hit the burts bees section and probably pick up some Castille or goats milk soap to use while I have it.

So glad it will go away, everything I found said I would have some form of it for the duration of treatment.
41 yrs old
Tumor found 9/2015
Stage IVa (T3 N2a M1a)
Lynch positive 3/2016

midlifemom

Postby midlifemom » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:18 pm

Beans mama,
So sorry youre feeling crummy.
I have heard of others getting relief by going through knowledgeable dermatologist instead of onc or pcp.

I think its a race as to who has best husband - mine is also awesome. At least we got extra lucky in that department.
Stage 3 cc - dx Jan '14 age 53, cea 2.9
t2n2m0, KRAS mutant, MSS
Folfox Feb - Aug '14
Nov '14 cea 27.7 -2 liver masses
Dec '14 left lobectomy and HAI
Jan '15 FUDR and FOLFIRI
Aug '15 fudr done, liver clear, add avastin for lungs. Cea 4.3
Feb '16 CEA rising
May '16 2 wk break then drop Iri for 6 weeks.
Jul '16 cancer grew, constricted main bile duct. Stent inserted. On break till jaundice clears. CEA climbing. Doing reduced Folfox. Allergic to Oxali.
Sep'16 chemo failed. Trial or hospice?

Pita

Postby Pita » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:38 pm

Aw Beans, I'm so sorry, I feel for you and I know exactly what you're going through. Great links from Sally :)

Searched through the posts and here's a few things that were suggestions from others for rash and skin dryness/flaking:
...The dermatologist at MSK prescribed Ammonium Lactate Cream (12 per cent) for my excessive flaking skin due to Vectibex. It is a humectant, it attracts water from the air, which eliminated the dry, flaky skin in about two days. I liked it better than over the counter moisturizer because it didn't have a greasy feel to it.
...Check at the pharmacy that fills your chemo prescription, or if your oncology clinic has a pharmacy, and see if they have Urea Care. Urea is what is in the Bag Balm (but at a lower %), and it's made specifically for people with diabetes and on chemo. It's practitioner strength, so you can't get it at regular stores / pharmacies (at least not that I've found). If you can't find it, ask your oncologist if they know a way to get it. It's very rich, like some of the more "Vaseline" type creams, but penetrates right in and doesn't stay greasy on your skin or get all over your clothes. A 6 oz size costs $8 at my onc pharmacy, so it's a little pricey, but for me seems worth it. Plus, it smells nice because it has Lavender oil in it. Almost like aroma therapy while moisturizing.
...Cortison OTC 1% hydrocortisone cream helped sooth my rash sometimes.
...I also like using Udderly Smooth w/urea
...A cool damp washrag held on my face helped a lot but definitely have to apply cream after.
...Stop looking in the mirror, get a hand mirror to apply to the rash, doesn't look so big.
...If possible do a search here on CC for Vectibix and Erbitux, lots of posts show up with more suggestions.

Wishing you well Beans,get through this miserable rash and I'm sending lots of prayers and hugs... ox
70yo Fem DX: 1/21/2016 RC Stage IV-Nodules lungs
MSS-Kras Wild-Lynch Synd Neg-Lung Biopsy 1/27/16-Port 2/19/16
MRI 7/7/16 Endometrial polyp found, watching LAR 7/19/16, No Ileostomy, Stage ypT3 N1
CT 11/7/16: Most mets stable,1 shrunk,1 new??
CEA Tests: 1/21/16=20, 12/22/16=5.3, 1/20/17=4.8, 2/15/17=6.2
9/20/16-1/24/17 Folfuri & Avastin
#10/10 Done
PET/CT 2/10/16-1/31/17=Some shrunk & growth to 2, Avastin failing ??? :evil:
2/21/17 Folfuri & Avastin

BeansMama

Postby BeansMama » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:00 pm

midlifemom wrote:Beans mama,
So sorry youre feeling crummy.
I have heard of others getting relief by going through knowledgeable dermatologist instead of onc or pcp.

I think its a race as to who has best husband - mine is also awesome. At least we got extra lucky in that department.

Midlifemom,

A dermatologist is a good idea. Will have to see if I can get an appointment with one.

Yes, It is definitely a wonderful thing to be extra lucky in that department. Glad I am not the only extra lucky one :D
41 yrs old
Tumor found 9/2015
Stage IVa (T3 N2a M1a)
Lynch positive 3/2016

BeansMama

Postby BeansMama » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:06 pm

Pita wrote:Aw Beans, I'm so sorry, I feel for you and I know exactly what you're going through. Great links from Sally :)

Searched through the posts and here's a few things that were suggestions from others for rash and skin dryness/flaking:
...The dermatologist at MSK prescribed Ammonium Lactate Cream (12 per cent) for my excessive flaking skin due to Vectibex. It is a humectant, it attracts water from the air, which eliminated the dry, flaky skin in about two days. I liked it better than over the counter moisturizer because it didn't have a greasy feel to it.
...Check at the pharmacy that fills your chemo prescription, or if your oncology clinic has a pharmacy, and see if they have Urea Care. Urea is what is in the Bag Balm (but at a lower %), and it's made specifically for people with diabetes and on chemo. It's practitioner strength, so you can't get it at regular stores / pharmacies (at least not that I've found). If you can't find it, ask your oncologist if they know a way to get it. It's very rich, like some of the more "Vaseline" type creams, but penetrates right in and doesn't stay greasy on your skin or get all over your clothes. A 6 oz size costs $8 at my onc pharmacy, so it's a little pricey, but for me seems worth it. Plus, it smells nice because it has Lavender oil in it. Almost like aroma therapy while moisturizing.
...Cortison OTC 1% hydrocortisone cream helped sooth my rash sometimes.
...I also like using Udderly Smooth w/urea
...A cool damp washrag held on my face helped a lot but definitely have to apply cream after.
...Stop looking in the mirror, get a hand mirror to apply to the rash, doesn't look so big.
...If possible do a search here on CC for Vectibix and Erbitux, lots of posts show up with more suggestions.

Wishing you well Beans,get through this miserable rash and I'm sending lots of prayers and hugs... ox

Thank you so much Pita for doing all of that searching! I admittedly slept most of the day today and did not accomplish anything I had wanted. Searching was one of those things and you gave me a great deal of info and some items to look into further.

All of your help is truly appreciated

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers too :D
41 yrs old
Tumor found 9/2015
Stage IVa (T3 N2a M1a)
Lynch positive 3/2016

AbbyDoo

Postby AbbyDoo » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:09 am

I'm sorry your feeling down. I so wish there was a magic pill so no one would ever have to go threw this.
Hope you get feeling better fast.
53 yrs old
4/30/15 colonoscopy Mass found
5/21/15 staged 3 C rectal cancer
7/3/15 finished xeloda and radiation 28 rounds
9/30/15 LAR
10/29/15 picc line installed
11/2/15 start chemo 5 fu Oxaliplatin
3/7/16 Finish Chemo
4/29/16 Ileostomy Reversal.
7/13/16 colonoscopy clear.
CRC survivors know there Sh%t

BeansMama

Postby BeansMama » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:55 am

AbbyDoo wrote:I'm sorry your feeling down. I so wish there was a magic pill so no one would ever have to go threw this.
Hope you get feeling better fast.

Thanks abby, maybe we should all put our minds together and come up with that pill. We have some pretty smart cookies on these boards :mrgreen:
41 yrs old
Tumor found 9/2015
Stage IVa (T3 N2a M1a)
Lynch positive 3/2016

crc2007

Postby crc2007 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:18 am

BeansMama, so sorry to hear what you are going through.

Mypinkheaven and Pita, what a lovely thing you have done with your research - a really caring gift to BeansMama.
Rectal cancer dx Jan. 2007
radiation/chemo prior to surgery May 2007
resection, temp ileo
chemo
reversal 2008
perm colostomy 2009
colon perforation, sepsis
transverse colostomy (emergency) 2013

AnnClare

Postby AnnClare » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:52 am

Beans - so sorry you're having to deal with these awful side effects. Having a supportive hubby is absolutely a blessing!

I understand feeling crummy & ugly - I think we've all been there. But you're a lovely, beautiful person - you just happen to be going through a sh*t time. I know when you're in the midst of one of these 'bad' phases, it feels like an eternity. But it's temporary.

I'm a huge fan of coconut oil & various essential oils as well. Herb-infused oils might also be helpful, particularly calendula. It has wonderful skin-soothing properties. I've been a fan of Mountain Rose Herbs for over 10 years now (not affiliated - just a devoted customer.)
https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/searc ... =%E2%9C%93

Rosehip seed oil is also very beneficial for the skin. Vitacost carries it for a bit less than Mountain Rose Herbs.

Hang in there, honey. I know it's rough and it sucks like nothing else, but you'll get through this challenge.
*hugs*
42 yr. old female
Rectal cancer Stage 3C T3 N1 M0 - Sept 2015
28 rounds radiation w/Xeloda - Nov - Dec 2015
2/17/16 - Surgery to remove rectal tumor, lymph nodes (2/20+), ovaries & fallopian tubes, temp. ileostomy
3/28/16 - 9/26/16 -12 rounds FOLFOX w/full oxi
Ileo reversal 10/27/16; Port removed 12/1/16
Lung mets confirmed 2/6/17
March-May 2017 - brain mets; brain rad. 5/9-5/29/17

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:31 pm

I'm so sorry you are going through this!*hugs* I hope someone can recommend something that will get rid of the rash!*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”