Pump vs Pills

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
DCB

Pump vs Pills

Postby DCB » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:57 pm

I was diagnosed with colon cancer December 2015 at the age of 37. I had surgery to remove tumor and respect my colon. I did 6 months twice a month of Folfox chemo. I finished in July. Oncologist had me get Ct scan and it showed another tumor. Just had another surgery in August. Oncologist wants me to now do 6 months of Folfiri but gave me option of Xeliri because I was upset to have to deal with a pump again as it was very inconvenient I am wondering if anyone has taken the pill version Capecitabine instead of the 5FU pump or has an opinion if one is better then the other. I would really like to go with the pill version.

horizon

Re: Pump vs Pills

Postby horizon » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:09 am

When I was given the choice between Xelox and Folfox I asked which one was better. I was told if one performed better I wouldn't be given a choice. I knew with my personality that a pump would drive me nuts so I went the pill route. It was the right decision for me.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

WarriorSpouse

Postby WarriorSpouse » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:48 am

My wife had the same decision to make because she is stage IV and is on chemo for life. After a year of Folfox and Avastin she is now on Xeloda pills for two weeks on and one week off (along with Avastin at the beginning of the treatment week). We hear that Folfox and Xeloda are pretty much the same for effect of tamping the cancer down, but with pills you get to lose the pump.

The biggest change we see are the hand and foot side effects of the pills. She always needs creams to keep her skin feeling better and has to remember to stay hydrated. Her dosage was reduced due to these side effects, but since then she prefers the pills over the pump for normalcy purposes.
D/H 47 years old, 10/2014, Stage IV M/CRC, nodes 12/15, para-aortic, 5 cm sigmoid resection, positive Virchow. KRAS mut, MSS, Highly Differentiated, Lynch Neg, 5FU/LV and Avastin 1 YR (Oxi for 5 months), Zeloda/Bev since 01/2016. 02/2019 recurrence para-nodes, back to 5FU/LV Oxy/Bev. It is working again. "...Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other."-Walter Elliot

H is for Hawk

Postby H is for Hawk » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:11 pm

Out of pocket costs could vary between the two. The pump is generally covered by your out patient hospitalizations plan. For pharmaceutical insurance plans, Unless you have a high end plan ( Union type), the copays for the pills could be a significant expense.

Some patients with liver lesions specifically ask for the pills, the thought here being the Xeloda pill is metabolized by the liver, and would provide a greater concentration of 5FU to the liver tumors.
H is for Hawk (57)
10/14 L. hemi-colectomy 3 x 4 x 1 cm tumor, 13/14 lymph nodes pos. pT4a N2B M0 stage 3 MSS
11/14 - 4/15 12x FOLFOX
5/15 PET scan: 2.5 x 1.5 cm l. colon lesion, peri surface lesion SUV 2.4, adenocar., KRAS wd, BRAF V600E mut
6/15 HIPEC
9/15 Pleural lining & liver mets, CA 19-9: 6000
10/15 Vectibix Tafinlar Mekinist
11/15 1500
1/16 200
2/16 100, add Lentinan
3/16 122
6/16 4500
7/16 20,000, CT scan - three new liver mets
8/16 6700, FOLFIRI
9/16 4900, CT scan - two new liver mets
10/16 2255 vinorelbine

DCB

Postby DCB » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:25 pm

Thank you for all the input. I will take this all into consideration to make my decision. I greatly appreciate the info.

LeonW

Postby LeonW » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:48 pm

H is for Hawk wrote:Some patients with liver lesions specifically ask for the pills, the thought here being the Xeloda pill is metabolized by the liver, and would provide a greater concentration of 5FU to the liver tumors.

Not to hijack the pump vs pills discussion . . . Very interesting . . . Can you elaborate on this? . .

On pills vs pump discussion:
I had pills, not my choice, pills+avastine was the only way forward that was discussed. Onc said she wanted to be as aggressive as possible and came with Capox+Avastin. With great results.

Although I have no experience with the pump, I believe I'd taken the pills anyhow. I feel that being hooked up to a pump for an extended period of time would have meant loosing even more independency. Would have hated to live 'hooked up' for an extended period of time. Did have serious (and still have some) neuropath effects though.

Whatever you choose, I wish you best results
L
Dec 2012 - CC 2 unresect liver mets, CEA 41.8 (MM 65yrs)
Jan 2013 - colectomy @ spleen 2/26 nodes IVa T3N1bM1a
Feb-Jul - 1x Xelox-7x Xelox/Avastin, shrinkage from #3
Aug - 2x PV embolization (both failed)
Sep 2013 - R liver resect, 25d hosp (liver failure/delirium, lung emboli, encephalopathy), no living cancer (pCR)
2014/15 - recovery, scopy: 2 polyps
2016 - new town/life
2018, scopy: 2 polyps
2018/20 low (1.0-1.4) CEAs/clean CTs: 4x2014, 6x2015-17, 3x2018-20
next June 2021!

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:47 pm

H is for Hawk wrote:Out of pocket costs could vary between the two. The pump is generally covered by your out patient hospitalizations plan. For pharmaceutical insurance plans, Unless you have a high end plan ( Union type), the copays for the pills could be a significant expense.

Some patients with liver lesions specifically ask for the pills, the thought here being the Xeloda pill is metabolized by the liver, and would provide a greater concentration of 5FU to the liver tumors.

Just a point of reference here. I took the generic form of Xeloda for adjuvant treatment, capecitabine, so my monthly co-pay was $15. I certainly wouldn't consider my insurance plan a high end, union type plan. Of course, it wouldn't hurt checking with you insurance company to see what coverage you have.

Best Wishes, peanut
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

betsydoglover
Facebook Username: Betsy Lindh Williams

Postby betsydoglover » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:42 pm

I have always used Xeloda. My onc prefers it and I certainly like the lack of pump. It is just as effective as 5FU - there are occasional studies that show it to be somewhat more effective. The effectiveness does not seem to be an issue.

With insurance there is a copay - mine was only $30 / copay. Now that I am on Medicare, it would be covered as a chemo treatment at 100%.
Betsy
diag. Stage IV, 5/05, liver met
lap sigmoid colectomy, 6/05
6 cycles Xeloda/oxaliplatin/Avastin (NED after 2)
11/08 9x13mm right lower lobe lung nodule; removed via VATS 4/09
NED
6 cycles Xeloda + Avastin
Avastin only 10/09-5/11
Still NED 06/18

DCB

Postby DCB » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:36 pm

All very helpful. The pump was just such an inconvenience to deal with...wearing it to work, not wanting to go anywhere for two days with it on, having to go home to get disconnected, not being able to shower with it. I'm 95% sure I will opt for the pills.

ktwmn

Postby ktwmn » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:59 pm

I know this thread is over a month old. However, I am currently prescribed xeloda (my pump was removed due to migration of the catheter to azygos vein). My co-pay for capecitabine (generic form) is $100. Apparently BCBS does not cover it. It gets delivered via fedex from a company in Florida. Are there any other financial alternatives out there? $100 co-pay every 3 weeks seems rather high.
Dx 7/11, Stage IIIc CC
12 txs Folfox 8/2011-2/2012
MSS, KRAS-mut G12D
NED until 3/2015, mets to liver and peritoneum
April-December 2015: 15 txs folfiri+avastin
Liver mets resolved; pelvic met remains
January-May 2016: folfox+avastin; allergic rxn to oxi
June-August 2016: 5FU+avastin
October 2016: looking into immuno trial
January 2017: maintenance chemo xeloda + avastin

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:38 pm

When I had it, Roche had a patient support program which would cover some part of their brand "Xeloda"
... BUTT not sure about generics now ???? ( there was NO generic available when I took Xeloda )
... OR specific payment issues within the US medical health care system ?????

My condolences that you are also dealing with " SCREWED BLUE cross " which is who I had to deal with up here.
Worst company in health care IMO.

AND even with Roche support ( they paid about $700 total ) I still paid over $3500 or so out of pocket ... :twisted:

We have some more experienced folks here who HAVE navigated the US system and hopefully they can chime in for you

Best wishes
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:27 pm

CRguy wrote:When I had it, Roche had a patient support program which would cover some part of their brand "Xeloda"
... BUTT not sure about generics now ???? ( there was NO generic available when I took Xeloda )
... OR specific payment issues within the US medical health care system ?????

My condolences that you are also dealing with " SCREWED BLUE cross " which is who I had to deal with up here.
Worst company in health care IMO.

AND even with Roche support ( they paid about $700 total ) I still paid over $3500 or so out of pocket ... :twisted:

We have some more experienced folks here who HAVE navigated the US system and hopefully they can chime in for you

Best wishes
CRguy

We have BCBS and they have been great, but then again, I had the pump (which I didn't mind at all, and knowing of the hfs, I would try the pill, but if issues with it, I would gladly go back to the pump). Also, another complaint people have with the pump is going back in for disco. My insurance (bcbs) paid to have a nurse come to my home...aka my disco nurse :)

ktwmn

Postby ktwmn » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:02 am

Yes, BCBS was fine for covering infusions (after paying out of pocket max of $4K). But xeloda/capecitabine is not on the list of covered drugs. After my experience with my last port migrating I do not want port #3. I am in limbo right now (waiting to see if I qualify for an immuno trial) so in the meantime I am taking xeloda.
Dx 7/11, Stage IIIc CC
12 txs Folfox 8/2011-2/2012
MSS, KRAS-mut G12D
NED until 3/2015, mets to liver and peritoneum
April-December 2015: 15 txs folfiri+avastin
Liver mets resolved; pelvic met remains
January-May 2016: folfox+avastin; allergic rxn to oxi
June-August 2016: 5FU+avastin
October 2016: looking into immuno trial
January 2017: maintenance chemo xeloda + avastin

ab123

Postby ab123 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:17 pm

I wasn't given a choice to take pills, so my experience was with the pump. I used this thing that was a HUGE lifesaver in terms of living with the pump comfortably:

http://poppypocket.net/

I slept with it on and was able to roll around without getting caught up in the tubing, and it also made it easy to conceal the pump under my shirt. Super comfy and easy.
Aug 2012: RC DX Stage IIIC, T3N2M0 by MRI - 38M
Fall 2012: Chemorad
Nov 2012: LAR - Path report: 0/13 LNs, tumor reduced to "microscopic foci"
Jan-Apr 2013: 8 rounds FOLFOX
May 2013: Ileostomy takedown, port removal
July 2013 (and since): NED!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”