PET/CT scan accuracy

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
countrybtrfly
Facebook Username: countrybtrfly

PET/CT scan accuracy

Postby countrybtrfly » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:51 pm

I had a PET/CT scan recently due to swollen neck lymph nodes. The results of the whole body scan stated, "There is wall thickening of the cecum with increased hypermetabolic activity, 4.8, differential diagnosis includes colitis, malignancy vs underdistention of the colon with physiologic colonic uptake". I have cancer history in my family. I keep getting told to not worry until the colonoscopy next Tuesday? But very worried! Any similar stories? I am new at this, and not quite sure of all the lingo.

mypinkheaven
Facebook Username: Sally Cunningham

Re: PET/CT scan accuracy

Postby mypinkheaven » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:52 am

countrybtrfly wrote:I had a PET/CT scan recently due to swollen neck lymph nodes. The results of the whole body scan stated, "There is wall thickening of the cecum with increased hypermetabolic activity, 4.8, differential diagnosis includes colitis, malignancy vs underdistention of the colon with physiologic colonic uptake". I have cancer history in my family. I keep getting told to not worry until the colonoscopy next Tuesday? But very worried! Any similar stories? I am new at this, and not quite sure of all the lingo.

Colitis inflammation can "light up" on a PET scan. And: "One recognized pitfall in the interpretation of small and large bowel disease is underdistention, which can simulate the appearance of bowel wall thickening."

So, Tuesday is right around the corner - try not to worry too much 8) I hope the scope goes well and all the worry was for nothing!!
MSS, KRAS Wild NRAS Mutated
9/2012 CRC IIB Lft Colectomy 0 lymph nodes 0 Chemo
10/2013 CT clear
11/15 CEA 2.7 to 4.6
11/15 Spread to uterus. Hysterectomy
2/16 Pelvic radiation 25, brachytherapy 3
4/16 - 6/16 Xeloda
6/16 CT Several lung nodules 5 mm
8/16 CT Nodules still present. Most stable. Some growth
11/16 Transfer to UCSD Moores
12/16 Folfox + Avastin failed
2/17 Folfiri + Erbitux
8/17 5FU+Erbitux No 5FU bolus
7/18 Spread to vagina
6/18 Folfiri + Avastin + Trametinib
6/18 CEA dropping

BrownBagger

Re: PET/CT scan accuracy

Postby BrownBagger » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:25 pm

Worrying is a waste of time and I know it's an easy thing to say, but a lot harder to actually accomplish. Try to reduce your stress levels and you'll live longer. What I try to do is find something to occupy my attention so that I can at least temporarily forget about whatever it is I'd be worrying about otherwise. Since I'm an editor, proofreading works pretty well. I try to do that while waiting on scan results in my doctor's office. Exercise is another excellent way of keeping your mind occupied (the blood leaves your brain and goes to your muscles). Plus, it feels good. Read a good book or go visit a friend. Lots you could be doing instead of sitting around making yourself sick with anxiety.

Best of luck on your scope. It's really the only definitive way to detect colorectal cancer. Everything else is always open to interpretation and much less accurate.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”