Breast cancer confirmed

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Lydia666
Posts: 676
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:50 pm
Location: Montreal, Canada

Breast cancer confirmed

Postby Lydia666 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:43 pm

Hey guys,
The verdict is in- it is indeed ductal carcinoma in situ. It sucks big time. i am now faced with tough decisions.
The standard of care is lumpectomy with radiations and a hormone inhibitor. Everything has side effects.
Then there is mastectomy, single or double for preventative reasons. I would not need radiations in that case. I am not sure i can ditch the hormone inhibitor with double mastectomy. There is still a 10% risk of getting cancer even after mastectomy in the remaining chest wall tissue. There is about the same risk after lumpectomy and radiation.

What would you do?

The idea of full mastectomy makes me sick to my stomach. Reconstruction is very painful. Horrible. But being dead would be worse!!
Oct 2012- thyroid cancer
June 19, 2015 Dx@39 yrs- CRC-T3N1M0
No vascular, no perineural invasion
Aug-Sept 2015- 28 rad/5FU
Oct 28, 2015- LAR- temp ileo, neg. nodes- 0/11
March 2016- 6 rounds Xeloda/positive CHEK2 mutation
August 2016- DCIS and decided post prophylactic double mastectomy
May 2018 - clean CT
Sept 2018-clean scope
Devastation, total shock- oct 2018, invasion of peri mets
Dec 20 - 2 round of folfox
Mom to 4 & 7 yrs kids - at least i brought them to this level of independence.

User avatar
mypinkheaven
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 4:29 pm
Facebook Username: Sally Cunningham
Contact:

Re: Breast cancer confirmed

Postby mypinkheaven » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:55 pm

I'm so sorry!!! My mother-in-law did have good luck with a lumpectomy and radiation. She was older, so she didn't receive any hormone inhibitor.

Her recovery was quick, the radiation went well and she never had a recurrence for the 20 more years she was alive.
MSS, KRAS Wild NRAS Mutated
9/2012 CRC IIB Lft Colectomy 0 lymph nodes 0 Chemo
10/2013 CT clear
11/15 CEA 2.7 to 4.6
11/15 Spread to uterus. Hysterectomy
2/16 Pelvic radiation 25, brachytherapy 3
4/16 - 6/16 Xeloda
6/16 CT Several lung nodules 5 mm
8/16 CT Nodules still present. Most stable. Some growth
11/16 Transfer to UCSD Moores
12/16 Folfox + Avastin failed
2/17 Folfiri + Erbitux
8/17 5FU+Erbitux No 5FU bolus
7/18 Spread to vagina
6/18 Folfiri + Avastin + Trametinib
6/18 CEA dropping

Nik Colon

Re: Breast cancer confirmed

Postby Nik Colon » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:58 pm

So sorry :( tough decision. I had tummy tuck and breasts done after my daughter and a couple other minor ones, and obviously my recent surgeries and possible histo soon. Surgery doesn't really bother me anymore.

Lydia666
Posts: 676
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:50 pm
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: Breast cancer confirmed

Postby Lydia666 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:40 pm

mypinkheaven wrote:I'm so sorry!!! My mother-in-law did have good luck with a lumpectomy and radiation. She was older, so she didn't receive any hormone inhibitor.

Her recovery was quick, the radiation went well and she never had a recurrence for the 20 more years she was alive.

Thank you for the positive story.
Oct 2012- thyroid cancer
June 19, 2015 Dx@39 yrs- CRC-T3N1M0
No vascular, no perineural invasion
Aug-Sept 2015- 28 rad/5FU
Oct 28, 2015- LAR- temp ileo, neg. nodes- 0/11
March 2016- 6 rounds Xeloda/positive CHEK2 mutation
August 2016- DCIS and decided post prophylactic double mastectomy
May 2018 - clean CT
Sept 2018-clean scope
Devastation, total shock- oct 2018, invasion of peri mets
Dec 20 - 2 round of folfox
Mom to 4 & 7 yrs kids - at least i brought them to this level of independence.

Lydia666
Posts: 676
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:50 pm
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: Breast cancer confirmed

Postby Lydia666 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:40 pm

Nik Colon wrote:So sorry :( tough decision. I had tummy tuck and breasts done after my daughter and a couple other minor ones, and obviously my recent surgeries and possible histo soon. Surgery doesn't really bother me anymore.

Hi Nik, did you have breast cancer or had breasts done for other reasons?
Oct 2012- thyroid cancer
June 19, 2015 Dx@39 yrs- CRC-T3N1M0
No vascular, no perineural invasion
Aug-Sept 2015- 28 rad/5FU
Oct 28, 2015- LAR- temp ileo, neg. nodes- 0/11
March 2016- 6 rounds Xeloda/positive CHEK2 mutation
August 2016- DCIS and decided post prophylactic double mastectomy
May 2018 - clean CT
Sept 2018-clean scope
Devastation, total shock- oct 2018, invasion of peri mets
Dec 20 - 2 round of folfox
Mom to 4 & 7 yrs kids - at least i brought them to this level of independence.

User avatar
CRguy
Posts: 10285
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: Breast cancer confirmed

Postby CRguy » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:43 pm

Lydia666 wrote:The standard of care is lumpectomy with radiations and a hormone inhibitor.

Totally sucks shit my friend :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
BUTT .... my mother (88) is now about a 20 year BC survivor after having exactly that treatment at BCCA.
My wife's cousin is going on 14 years with the same.

BCCA is a world leader in BC treatments etc. and I am SURE your docs will be up to date on any recent advances
BUTT if you need more info yourself or want to check things out let me know and I'll dig up the recent BCCA websites

THEY are always upgrading and changing their site so I finally gave up on updating links in the " Calling All Colorectal Canucks... " topic

Cheers and Harmony sista'
CRguy on the Journey with you
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
14 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Nik Colon

Re: Breast cancer confirmed

Postby Nik Colon » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:06 pm

Lydia666 wrote:
Nik Colon wrote:So sorry :( tough decision. I had tummy tuck and breasts done after my daughter and a couple other minor ones, and obviously my recent surgeries and possible histo soon. Surgery doesn't really bother me anymore.

Hi Nik, did you have breast cancer or had breasts done for other reasons?

After my daughter, my body was a mess, no cancer.
My grandmother had breast cancer and a mastectomy tho. She survived it, died of old age. I know a few others and all are doing great now.

jhocno197
Posts: 817
Joined: Mon May 11, 2015 9:33 pm

Re: Breast cancer confirmed

Postby jhocno197 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:02 pm

If I'm reading your signature right, this is your third cancer? I think I would go with mastectomy, probably both.

I'm sorry.
DH - dx Dec 2014, stage IV with bladder & peritoneal involvement - non-resectable
Colostomy
FOLFOX failed
FOLFIRI failed
Tumor actually distending pelvic skin
Not a candidate for last-ditch pelvic exenteration
Stivarga finally begun 2/19/16
Tumor growing/fungating
Lonsurf started 11/18/16
Died 3/10/17

Nik Colon

Re: Breast cancer confirmed

Postby Nik Colon » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:04 pm

jhocno197 wrote:If I'm reading your signature right, this is your third cancer? I think I would go with mastectomy, probably both.

I'm sorry.

I agree. Btw lydia, is it you with the gene that makes you more prone to other cancers?

Pita
Posts: 637
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:48 pm
Location: So Calif

Re: Breast cancer confirmed

Postby Pita » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:43 pm

So sorry Lydia!
My friend had a double masectomy, cancer on both breasts, she's also had uterine cancer and she still eats like shit, girl loves her greasy fried food, butt she keeps going, Her masectomies went well except they didn't leave enough skin on one side of her and it never closed, so back in the hospital to pull skin from her back rather than do a skin graft. She asked to be a 36D and wound up a 36B, husband was mad, but who gives a f*, he is selfish, my friend is still here and doing very well.
I hope you Lydia do very well at beating your cancer. Prayers and hugs to you...
Last edited by Pita on Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
70yo Fem DX: 1/21/2016 RC Stage IV-Nodules lungs
MSS-Kras Wild-Lynch Synd Neg-Lung Biopsy 1/27/16-Port 2/19/16
MRI 7/7/16 Endometrial polyp found, watching LAR 7/19/16, No Ileostomy, Stage ypT3 N1
CT 11/7/16: Most mets stable,1 shrunk,1 new??
CEA Tests: 1/21/16=20, 12/22/16=5.3, 1/20/17=4.8, 2/15/17=6.2
9/20/16-1/24/17 Folfuri & Avastin
#10/10 Done
PET/CT 2/10/16-1/31/17=Some shrunk & growth to 2, Avastin failing ??? :evil:
2/21/17 Folfuri & Avastin

Nik Colon

Re: Breast cancer confirmed

Postby Nik Colon » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:12 pm

Pita wrote:So sorry Lydia!
My friend had a double masectomy, cancer on both breasts, she's also had uterine cancer and she still eats like shit, girl loves her greasy fried food, but she keeps going, Her masectomies went well except they didn't leave enough skin on one side of her and it never closed, so back in the hospital to pull skin from her back rather than do a skin graft. She asked to be a 36D and wound up a 36B, husband was mad, but who gives a f*, he is selfish, my friend is still here and doing very well.
I hope you Lydia do very well at beating your cancer. Prayers and hugs to you...

Hub was mad! Hell, I'm a DD/DDD. Would like to be a little smaller and perky, anyway I just asked my hub what if I had to have a mastectomy and no boobs (until implants), he said he would kiss my scars :)
hell, I have so many anyway, lol! (He didn't say that, that's just me thinking outloud)

Pita
Posts: 637
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:48 pm
Location: So Calif

Re: Breast cancer confirmed

Postby Pita » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:59 pm

Nik Colon wrote:Hub was mad! Hell, I'm a DD/DDD. Would like to be a little smaller and perky, anyway I just asked my hub what if I had to have a mastectomy and no boobs (until implants), he said he would kiss my scars :)
hell, I have so many anyway, lol! (He didn't say that, that's just me thinking outloud)

HaHa! Yep that's the way it should be! Her husband irritates me, Mr. Macho Man but she's my friend so I try and keep my mouth shut and tolerate him.
I on the other hand had a breast reduction from a 34H to a 34D but I didn't get perky. ;) I'm 5'3 and weigh 113 pounds, they were too big for my size. Husband would have preferred I keep them but I was losing bone on my shoulders from bra straps and the weight and the final straw was that I got a flesh eating fungus underneath because enough air never got there. Referred to a cosmetic surgeon and my medical insurance paid for it all. Don't tell this to too many but I can't see any faces so it feels ok. hee hee Nice to get off the subject of cancer once in awhile. And the best part of the reduction was being able to wear a dress, normally had to wear an 8 bottom and a 12 top. :D
70yo Fem DX: 1/21/2016 RC Stage IV-Nodules lungs
MSS-Kras Wild-Lynch Synd Neg-Lung Biopsy 1/27/16-Port 2/19/16
MRI 7/7/16 Endometrial polyp found, watching LAR 7/19/16, No Ileostomy, Stage ypT3 N1
CT 11/7/16: Most mets stable,1 shrunk,1 new??
CEA Tests: 1/21/16=20, 12/22/16=5.3, 1/20/17=4.8, 2/15/17=6.2
9/20/16-1/24/17 Folfuri & Avastin
#10/10 Done
PET/CT 2/10/16-1/31/17=Some shrunk & growth to 2, Avastin failing ??? :evil:
2/21/17 Folfuri & Avastin

Nik Colon

Re: Breast cancer confirmed

Postby Nik Colon » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:18 am

Pita wrote:
Nik Colon wrote:Hub was mad! Hell, I'm a DD/DDD. Would like to be a little smaller and perky, anyway I just asked my hub what if I had to have a mastectomy and no boobs (until implants), he said he would kiss my scars :)
hell, I have so many anyway, lol! (He didn't say that, that's just me thinking outloud)

HaHa! Yep that's the way it should be! Her husband irritates me, Mr. Macho Man but she's my friend so I try and keep my mouth shut and tolerate him.
I on the other hand had a breast reduction from a 34H to a 34D but I didn't get perky. ;) I'm 5'3 and weigh 113 pounds, they were too big for my size. Husband would have preferred I keep them but I was losing bone on my shoulders from bra straps and the weight and the final straw was that I got a flesh eating fungus underneath because enough air never got there. Referred to a cosmetic surgeon and my medical insurance paid for it all. Don't tell this to too many but I can't see any faces so it feels ok. hee hee Nice to get off the subject of cancer once in awhile. And the best part of the reduction was being able to wear a dress, normally had to wear an 8 bottom and a 12 top. :D

Dang! Was it Necrotizing fasciitis?
So sorry, that's sounds horrible!

Pita
Posts: 637
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:48 pm
Location: So Calif

Re: Breast cancer confirmed

Postby Pita » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:39 am

Nik Colon wrote:Dang! Was it Necrotizing fasciitis?
So sorry, that's sounds horrible!


No Nik it was Intertrigo, I probably shouldn't have said flesh eating but the skin kept disappearing and had the worst smell, finally went to the doctor.
Intertrigo: A Skin Rash in Body Folds

Intertrigo is a skin condition that occurs in skin folds, under the breasts, on the inner thighs, under armpits, or under belly folds. Chaffing causes a rash of red skin or brown skin that gets infected with yeast or bacteria and becomes raw. The skin rash may ooze and itch. This rash is more common in people who are overweight and in people with diabetes. Treatment involves keeping the areas dry, treating infections, and using steroid creams.


Sorry for hijacking your post Lydia, let me know and we can ask for them to be deleted.
70yo Fem DX: 1/21/2016 RC Stage IV-Nodules lungs
MSS-Kras Wild-Lynch Synd Neg-Lung Biopsy 1/27/16-Port 2/19/16
MRI 7/7/16 Endometrial polyp found, watching LAR 7/19/16, No Ileostomy, Stage ypT3 N1
CT 11/7/16: Most mets stable,1 shrunk,1 new??
CEA Tests: 1/21/16=20, 12/22/16=5.3, 1/20/17=4.8, 2/15/17=6.2
9/20/16-1/24/17 Folfuri & Avastin
#10/10 Done
PET/CT 2/10/16-1/31/17=Some shrunk & growth to 2, Avastin failing ??? :evil:
2/21/17 Folfuri & Avastin

Nik Colon

Re: Breast cancer confirmed

Postby Nik Colon » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:45 am

Pita wrote:
Nik Colon wrote:Dang! Was it Necrotizing fasciitis?
So sorry, that's sounds horrible!


No Nik it was Intertrigo, I probably shouldn't have said flesh eating but the skin kept disappearing and had the worst smell, finally went to the doctor.
Intertrigo: A Skin Rash in Body Folds

Intertrigo is a skin condition that occurs in skin folds, under the breasts, on the inner thighs, under armpits, or under belly folds. Chaffing causes a rash of red skin or brown skin that gets infected with yeast or bacteria and becomes raw. The skin rash may ooze and itch. This rash is more common in people who are overweight and in people with diabetes. Treatment involves keeping the areas dry, treating infections, and using steroid creams.


Sorry for hijacking your post Lydia, let me know and we can ask for them to be deleted.

Ah, ok. Either way, that sounds horrible, sorry to hear, but glad u r ok now
Tbh, I have oily skin, so it's not great under my boobs, used to be sore and stuff, now not, just oily and traps smell, ish
Last edited by Nik Colon on Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.


Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests