Where's the compassion/caring?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
johnmeissner

Where's the compassion/caring?

Postby johnmeissner » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:01 am

I received a call last Friday, saying I'd hear from the surgeon late Monday/early Tuesday, with results of the slides of me they were looking at, to determine whether or not I'd need surgery, as well as how my future treatment might go. Well, after not receiving a call, I went to his office and preceeded to sit there in an empty waiting room for over a half-hour, until someone finally came out(apparently they actually forgot I was there, even though I was the only person in their waiting room) and talked to me from clear across the room, telling me how busy he(the surgeon) was, how they didn't think they could operate on someone, then send him out of state, etc, etc. Whoever it was, I'm assuming a nurse, proceeded to tell me I'd receive a call later that day IF the surgeon came back to the office from the O.R.(He didn't, so no call) and if he didn't, then she'd call me sometime this morning. So, here I sit at work, STILL trying to take control of my own health care, but seemingly being fought every step of the way by a surgeon and his staff, who apparently missed class the day compassion, caring and professionalism was taught.

I'm sick, they know I'm sick. Why should this be so darn difficult?!?!

Sweet Peg

Postby Sweet Peg » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:24 am

I am so sorry you are having these troubles!! I think if it were me, I would ask for my test results and take them to another doctor!! You HAVE to take control of your own situation here. I know the doctors should be on the ball, but lots of times they just aren't and that is why you have to be proactive!!! Don't feel bad about it either....just take control and go someplace else and get the answers you need. What you have said in this post has really sent up the red flags to me!! You need to have a doctor, surgeon and oncologist you can trust. Go get a second or third opinion if you have to. This is YOUR body so you get the answers you need. I know I am sounding like my good friend Holly right now....she would be proud. LOL Proactive is the ONLY way to be, right Holly!!!!! Get that steam rolling and get mad....then go get a doctor who will treat you like you should be treated!!

HUGSSSSSSSSSSSS Peg

Molly
Site Admin

Postby Molly » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:51 am

I second that! Go Peg!

Edward
Facebook Username: CoalRegionVoice

Broadcaster

Postby Edward » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:13 am

John,

We may have to get our mics checked. I am a Stage IIa survivor from central PA. I broadcast high school football in Pennsylvania. Good luck on your treatment.
Livestrong,

Edward
Colon Cancer Class of 2002
http://www.coalregionvoice.blogspot.com/

johnmeissner

Postby johnmeissner » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:31 am

I finally got to talk to the surgeon this morning. We weighed all the options, such as how long I could safely wait to have surgery, if I could wait until next May(Neither of us feel that is advisable), how recovery time would affect my job, which includes traveling by bus with the hockey team, my wife's and my scheduled departure to Nebraska in mid-September, any unforseen problems that could be discovered during surgery that would require additional hospitalization and follow up care. We came to the agreement that, while perhaps not the best scenario time-wise, it would be best to get surgery done as soon as possible. So, as of right now, he is working to clear his schedule to be able to operate on me this coming Monday morning. I expect to hear confirmation on that today.

While this is a huge burden of worry off my shoulders in one respect, now I'm starting to get a bit nervous, knowing what's coming up. Prayers, good thoughts and positive dog vibes have been and will always be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Molly
Site Admin

Postby Molly » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:12 am

I think I can speak for EVERYONE on this board when I say that there's NEVER a good time to be diagnosed with cancer. :) That said, your health should come first...no matter what. The sooner you can get the surgery overwith, the sooner you can start getting back to normal. Oh, wait. Did I say that? It's a "new" normal, once you've been through it all.

johnmeissner

Postby johnmeissner » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:26 pm

Right now, a firm go for surgery on Monday depends on the clinic crossing all the I's and dottng all the t's, (tee hee)waiting for the cardiac doctor who did my heart cath in June to okay my being able to have surgery, then having to have a consult with someone(I don't remember who) sometime on Friday, before surgery on Monday is a go. And I won't get the word until(hopefully early) Friday.

So, it's been another day of jumbled emotions, feelings like this is gonna mess up my new job, that I won't get surgery done, that thiswhole thing is gonna blow up in my face, etc, etc.

Somebody PLEASE tell me that it's really gonna be okay.

PLEASE?!?! I need to know from people who have been through this, that I'm just overreacting, having a bad day and that it's all going to turn out great.

northern lights

Postby northern lights » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:21 pm

John,

Frustrations are so normal through all of this. It is so stressful because there are so many unknowns. Being a control freak, it was frustrating not to be able to control the outcome.

Whatever your faith is, I really like the mantra "if He brings you to it, He will bring you through it."

Keep perservering your fortitude will get you through.

I didn't find surgery too bad. I had a sigmoid resection in Jan and I found it a very peaceful time. I learned some very valuable lessons that will carry me for many years and l learned a lot about compassion.

Remember that you need to take care of yourself before you can take care of anyone/anything else.

I'll be thinking of you and hoping for the best outcome.

Sharon

johnmeissner

Postby johnmeissner » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:31 am

Sharon,
I'd be really interested in hearing your story about all you went through before, during and after your resection. Our "adopted" mommy, a retired nurse who actually worked with the surgeon who is going to operate on me, thinks surgery is unnecessary since they found just one polyp. My wife would rather I wait until after we move to Nebraskaa, but the time frame just wouldn't work for me to have surgery in Nebraska until next May and I (and my surgeon feels the same)am just not willing to wait that long. They (Mommy and wife)say they will support my decision(which is to have surgery) and help me in my recovery. But I just feel pressured not to go through with surgery, because of their feelings about it. However, with the input of my email "buddy," plus those here who have commented on my concernss, I am committed to having surgery as soon as possible.

If anyone can shed any light on what I can expect, please share. I appreciate it a lot. Thanks.

johnmeissner

Postby johnmeissner » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:39 am

I just got off the phone with the surgeon's office. I go in to his office tomorrow for paperwork/consult. Then, I am scheduled to check into the hospital at 9a.m. Sunday, with surgery scheduled for 10a.m. on Monday.

It's taken some time and resulted in a lot of frustration, but that light I see at the end of the tunnel may not be an oncoming train after all!

Polyp story

Postby guest » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:04 pm

Let me tell you of a story that is playing out where I live. A 37 year old man had a colonscopy with a polyp found. Told him it looked okay.

Came back between Stage 0 and Stage 1 so they decided because of his age to do a resection. Looked good from the surgical standpoint.

He did get a 2nd opinion about the surgery.

Came back 4/11 lymph nodes positive (Stage IIIC). Chemo now required.

Fooled all the doctors.

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:16 pm

John,

Where is all the compassion? Well, welcome to the Colon Club my fellow Nebraskan and congratulations on your survivorship!

At the age of thirty, I was dx with stage IV CRC. My primary medical team is in Omaha. John, I see that you are from Kearney. I am not certain who your doctors are...Should you need some insight, send me a line and I will get in touch with the most skilled, technically proficient and compassionate physicians in Nebraska.

Peg, I am proud! I think you may be on to something!

Hugs!

Holly

mca

Postby mca » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:33 am

Hi John,

Just want to wish you good luck with your surgery on Monday. Don't be worry. I'm sure that everything is going to be OK since I went through surgery myself in June and found that it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. My recovery was great and fast and I'm sure that yours is going to be smooth as well. So good luck and take good care of yourself.

Channie

johnmeissner

Postby johnmeissner » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:11 am

Holly,
My wife and I are still in Orlando, Florida. With my expected recovery being a good one, we will be moving to Kearney in mid September. My surgeon knows someone on staff in Omaha and is supposed to call him, to refer me to someone in Kearney, I would assume at Good Sam's cancer center. I look forward to meeting you and hopefully seeing you at some of the Tri City Storm hockey games.

I had my pre-op consult and testing yesterday. Everything went well and I am on schedule to be admitted to the hospital tomorrow at 9 a.m. to do prep(Drink that nasty stuff for the 4th time in the last 5-6 weeks....YUCK!!!!), then have surgery Monday at 10 a.m.

Without being too graphic, I'll be having a colon resection and a liver ultrasound. Also gonna have a bunch of tubes here and there as well. Likely won't be in the mood(or position) to talk or type for awhile. No heavy lifting for maybe up to a year, not even picking up Freckles and Snoopy! I expect to be in the hospital for anywhere between 4 to 7 days, longer if post-op recovery warrants. Recovery will include doing pretty much nothing for up to two weeks after leaving the hospital. But the immediate goal is to be able to be recovered enough for our move to Nebraska, then be able to travel with the hockey team by the end of September. (There's no back-up or substitute announcer, so I need to be ready to go.)

So, that's about it for now. Please be praying not only for the surgeon's skill and a speedy and complete recovery for me, but also for Kim, Freckles and Snoopy. This will be a challenging time for them, as I go through this surgery and recovery time ahead. Thanks for listening. Updates will be posted when circumstances allow. See you soon!

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:29 am

John,

Should you need anything when you get to Nebraska, send me a line and I will do what I am able to help!

Know that you are in my continued thoughts and prayers! Remember all things are possible!

Holly

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”