I have so many questions!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
MrsCritter
Facebook Username: Erynn Crittenden

I have so many questions!

Postby MrsCritter » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:00 am

Hello, everyone. I just found out about this site, and I thought it would be a great place to ask my questions and get some support.

But first, a little background.

I'm 27 years old, and I was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer in March of this year. It was a localized tumor, and I had it and the surrounding lymph nodes successfully removed via sigmoid resection. Otherwise, I'm extremely healthy (according to my doctors).

I have since started chemotherapy as a precautionary/preventative method. I took FOLFOX for the first 5 rounds, but I have switched to FOLFIRI because the Oxyplatin was really getting to me. It seems to be working out a lot better, but I've been having some intense hot flashes.

That's where my question comes in.

The women in my family have always hit menopause in their 40's, and my husband and I have already been struggling with infertility issues (we've been trying for almost six years with no success). Is there a chance that the chemo is making my infertility worse?

I know it probably sounds like a silly fear, but I really want to have kids when this is over. My OBGYN is pretty sure that she can make it happen, but I'd still appreciate any advice you can give me. I have 5 more rounds of FOLFIRI, and, like I mentioned before, I'm otherwise very healthy.

I'm just scared, and no one in my family truly understands since I'm the first one that's had to deal with both infertility and cancer. Thank you all for understanding!

crc2007

Re: I have so many questions!

Postby crc2007 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:15 pm

Dear Mrs. Critter, welcome to this group. I don't have an answer to your question re chemo and fertility ( I was in my 50's before having chemo). However I can share lots of empathy with you re wanting children. My first pregnancy did not go well and our little baby died soon after delivery. At that stage, I was wondering if we could EVER have children and I was in my early 30's. It's not a silly fear to think that one may never have children, for whatever reason. Trust that your obgyn knows what he/she is talking about. All the best,
crc2007
Rectal cancer dx Jan. 2007
radiation/chemo prior to surgery May 2007
resection, temp ileo
chemo
reversal 2008
perm colostomy 2009
colon perforation, sepsis
transverse colostomy (emergency) 2013

jhocno197

Postby jhocno197 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:24 pm

Chemo can affect fertility. They should have discussed that with you beforehand. :(

http://m.cancer.org/treatment/treatment ... ncer/index
DH - dx Dec 2014, stage IV with bladder & peritoneal involvement - non-resectable
Colostomy
FOLFOX failed
FOLFIRI failed
Tumor actually distending pelvic skin
Not a candidate for last-ditch pelvic exenteration
Stivarga finally begun 2/19/16
Tumor growing/fungating
Lonsurf started 11/18/16
Died 3/10/17

MrsCritter

Postby MrsCritter » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:50 pm

Thank you both. This info is really helpful! I now have an idea of what to ask my doctor.

nomoretacos

Postby nomoretacos » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:42 pm

Before starting FOLFOX my onc touched upon infertility as a side effect which I already understood and was fine with so our conversation didnt last very long on that subject but your onc should have definitely mentioned it and provided resources for you to think about freezing eggs and whatever else is involved. Best to have this conversation with your oncologist.

Goodluck in your journey
03/16 Dx Stage IIIC, sigmoid resection surgery,T3 N2b M0, 7/20 nodes, 4 tumor deposits, CEA 3.7, age 31
04-10/16 Folfox with delays and reductions
10/16 Post chemo CT scan shows two non specific spots (one liver, one lung)
11/16 Port removed
12/16 CEA 0.9
09/17 NED
03/18 NED

macpudd

Postby macpudd » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:03 am

Hi MrsCritter,
I am male, I dont know if Folfox affects males and females differently, but before I started Folfox my onc said it could affect my fertility and I was offered the oportunity to have sperm frozen. Hope all goes well for you.
Regards
Macpudd
Dx 10/13/2014 right hemicolectomy 10/15/2014 pT4b N0 M0
Folfox x12 from Dec 2014 to July 2015
01/16/18 tonic seizure hospital admission
01/17/18 ct and mri 2cm tumor on left side of brain
commenced anti epileptic and steroids and
insulin.
01/25/18 brain craniotomy 80% of tumour removed pathology says gbm4
6 weeks of rad and Temodar chemo and then 6 monthly cycles of Temodar
MRI in Oct no tumor
Mri Jan 2019 tumour growth Feb Pet scan tumour 6cm, no surgery, starting Avastin also Lomustine

Andrea1976

Postby Andrea1976 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:15 am

If you search on this forum pregnant or pregnancy. You will find a lot of women getting pregnant after treatment. Remember one in her early 40s pregnant few months after finishing chemo and having healthy boy at like 43. So it's not impossible. Best luck!

BeansMama

Postby BeansMama » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:59 am

I definitely recall not only my onc mentioning it can impact fertility but it was also in the literature I received about the chemo drugs I would be getting.

It wasn't a big deal for us as we were done having children. If I were you I would definitely look into having eggs frozen. Especially with the difficulty you mentioned having in your original post. Give yourself every chance possible.

I will keep you in my thoughts.
41 yrs old
Tumor found 9/2015
Surgery 1 - 11/2015 LAR and colostomy
Surgery 2 - 11/2015 wound vac
Surgery 3 - 12/2015 revise resection, move colostomy
Mets to liver - tumor inoperable - one add'l met destroyed
Stage IVa (T3 N2a M1a)
Primary tumor 9 cm x 7.5 cm x 2 cm
Beginning Folfox 1/2016 - Failed
Beginning Folfiri and vectibix 8/2016 — Failed
Beginning Folfirinox + Avastin 11/2016 - Failed
Beginning Keytruda 1/2017
CEA drop from 345 to 7.3 after starting immunotherapy
Lynch positive 3/2016

MrsCritter

Postby MrsCritter » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:05 pm

Thank you all! I talked with my oncologist about it, and she reassured me that I should have no problems. I guess we'll see!

8 rounds down, 4 to go :)

ElizaBou

Postby ElizaBou » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:39 pm

Hi,

I just stumbled across this as I'm searching out more info on pregnancy after colon cancer.

I was diagnosed in October 2014. Stage 3 with 11 lymph nodes involved. I had a total colectomy (as I have a history of UC) with IRA surgery and 8 rounds of chemo.

Found out I was pregnant at the end of last year at the age of 41. To say I was shocked would be an understatement! Whilst I never had trouble conceiving my first two kids (before cancer), I've spent most of my adult life not using any form of contraception as I've struggled to find one that's suits me. So I'm not what I would consider a very fertile person.

From what I understand, if you're younger at the time of treatment, there's a higher probability your fertility will be retained.

Now I'll continue my trawl for more info! It's VERY hard to find! Good luck!!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”