First round of FOLFOX today -Advice?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Marylandmaniac

Re: First round of FOLFOX today -Advice?

Postby Marylandmaniac » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:06 pm

LPL wrote:Yes jburke9283 - You are So right when you say:
" like everything else, you never get the full story about stuff until it hits you in the face."
Steroid Induced Hyperglycemia sure 'hit' my hubby hard. He ended up needing hospitalization 3days - he is now on Insulin :-(

I had read it was good to drink a lot of water before & after chemo - hubby had NO problem doing that!!! And we thought the fatigue & loosing weight was chemo side effects ... Sigh.

Later (of course.. :cry: ) I found this info:
" Glucocorticoid-induced hyperglycemia is common in patients undergoing cancer treatment ... We recommend that all cancer patients receiving gc be screened for hyperglycemia at least 4–6 hours after gc administration." 2013 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3851349/ .

So my recommendation to you Marylandmaniac is to Please make sure You & the medical staff check your glucose!!

Good Luck to You /LPL

Sorry to hear about your husband and the hyperglycemia. I know my oncologist checks my blood every time I go in for an infusion and then the following week in between treatments. I have been very happy with my team so far but I will bring this up to make sure they are looking at glucose. Hopefully your husband won't need insulin forever. I know that must be hard to deal with on top of everything else.
DX 6/29/16 7 cm tumor, 10 cm fr av
CT scan ab,MRI abdomen - 9mm spot on liver,CT scan of chest lungs clear
Special staging MRI - clinical staging stage 3b - T3N2M0 (unless spot proves to be met)
8/11 PET scan - spot lit up not nodes
8/16 Port in, 8/17 liver microwave abltn - spot gone
8/23 6 rds FOLFOX started
PET scan 10-13 43% red of tumor and no mets shown
Exam tumor greatly reduced. Surgery 12-14-16.
Clear margins, 7 out of 13 nodes positive. Tumor 2.1 cm
Kras wild, MMS, not MSI. 6 more rds FOLFOX

ANDRETEXAS

Postby ANDRETEXAS » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:04 am

I recommend exercise (even with the pump). I walked 3 miles a day. It helped my attitude immensely. Buy some Pellegrino when the taste of water becomes disgusting. :D Hoping it goes by quickly...and remember - one day at a time ! Andre
2/10/14 - Colon resect
2/13 - DX- Stage IIIb
6 of 18 lymph nodes cancerous
3/7 - Port placed
3/11 - FOLFOX (12 rds w/full oxi)
8/14 - Chemo finish
8/25 - CT- Inc
9/5 - clean PET
12/10- clean CT

3/2/15 - Clean colonoscopy & port removed
3/4 - clean CT
9/21- clean CT

3/23/16 - clean CT

2/22/17- clean CT

3/21/18 - clean CT
4/1 - clean colonoscopy

3/11/19 - clean CT
9/23 - Five-year release - Annual visits now !

4/13/23 - clean colonoscopy

ONE DAY AT A TIME !

BeansMama

Postby BeansMama » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:56 am

Maryland,

Glad to hear your first round is going well! I truly hope it continues through all of your rounds.

Definitely stay hydrated! I made the mistake of not drinking enough because I was nauseous during one of my early rounds. I felt awful! As soon as I started getting the fluids in i felt so much better. You need to drink lots to flush the chemo out of your system.

I usually sleep a lot while I have the pump connected. After disconnect is when I really don't feel well.

I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
41 yrs old
Tumor found 9/2015
Surgery 1 - 11/2015 LAR and colostomy
Surgery 2 - 11/2015 wound vac
Surgery 3 - 12/2015 revise resection, move colostomy
Mets to liver - tumor inoperable - one add'l met destroyed
Stage IVa (T3 N2a M1a)
Primary tumor 9 cm x 7.5 cm x 2 cm
Beginning Folfox 1/2016 - Failed
Beginning Folfiri and vectibix 8/2016 — Failed
Beginning Folfirinox + Avastin 11/2016 - Failed
Beginning Keytruda 1/2017
CEA drop from 345 to 7.3 after starting immunotherapy
Lynch positive 3/2016

Marylandmaniac

Postby Marylandmaniac » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:53 am

ANDRETEXAS wrote:I recommend exercise (even with the pump). I walked 3 miles a day. It helped my attitude immensely. Buy some Pellegrino when the taste of water becomes disgusting. :D Hoping it goes by quickly...and remember - one day at a time ! Andre

Thanks Andre,
I think the issue I am having is I am getting sick of drinking things room temperature. I wonder if that is why water is not as appealing? I think the cold sensitivity is gone now. I ate some yogurt out of the refrigerator and didn't have an issue. The only thing that is lingering is the feeling in my mouth and tongue that I ate something hot.
So I am going out today and getting some Pellegrino and some lemon heads/drops (someone else mentioned that on here and I like that idea).
Special staging MRI - clinical staging stage 3b - T3N2M0 (unless spot proves to be met)

Marylandmaniac

Postby Marylandmaniac » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:00 am

BeansMama wrote:Maryland,

Glad to hear your first round is going well! I truly hope it continues through all of your rounds.

Definitely stay hydrated! I made the mistake of not drinking enough because I was nauseous during one of my early rounds. I felt awful! As soon as I started getting the fluids in i felt so much better. You need to drink lots to flush the chemo out of your system.

I usually sleep a lot while I have the pump connected. After disconnect is when I really don't feel well.

Hi Beans,

Yes from what I have heard on here it seems like things are going okay so far. The cold sensitivity is going away thankfully. Now I just have the burnt mouth issue. I go in Monday afternoon and they will check my blood. Hopefully the white blood cells and platelets are ok. A nurse friend of mine called me and said they have cases now of the flu in Maryland. I was shocked that it is here so soon. She just warned me to be very careful. I am glad she said that because in the past I have never worried about getting sick.
I think of you so much and wonder how you are doing. You are in my prayers. I like to imagine that a year from now we are both going to be doing great and we are going to have to arrange an East Coast celebration of life party :) I see wine involved. :)

BeansMama

Postby BeansMama » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:21 am

Marylandmaniac wrote:
BeansMama wrote:Maryland,

Hi Beans,

Yes from what I have heard on here it seems like things are going okay so far. The cold sensitivity is going away thankfully. Now I just have the burnt mouth issue. I go in Monday afternoon and they will check my blood. Hopefully the white blood cells and platelets are ok. A nurse friend of mine called me and said they have cases now of the flu in Maryland. I was shocked that it is here so soon. She just warned me to be very careful. I am glad she said that because in the past I have never worried about getting sick.
I think of you so much and wonder how you are doing. You are in my prayers. I like to imagine that a year from now we are both going to be doing great and we are going to have to arrange an East Coast celebration of life party :) I see wine involved. :)

Glad it seems to be going ok. I hate the mouth pain!! It seems like just as it is getting better I have another round scheduled. I use the baking soda and salt mouth rinse faithfully but not sure if it really makes a difference.

I am hanging in there, hopeful with the new doc things will go a little faster. They already have me scheduled for my sigmoidoscopy and have an appointment with the liver surgeon the week after next (hooray!!).

I'm a little worried going into this next round of chemo because of the switch from Folfox to Folfiri. Hoping the side effects aren't too bad.

I keep you in my prayers also, hopefully in a year we can have that party. I want both of us to be able to declare we kicked Cancers butt!
41 yrs old
Tumor found 9/2015
Surgery 1 - 11/2015 LAR and colostomy
Surgery 2 - 11/2015 wound vac
Surgery 3 - 12/2015 revise resection, move colostomy
Mets to liver - tumor inoperable - one add'l met destroyed
Stage IVa (T3 N2a M1a)
Primary tumor 9 cm x 7.5 cm x 2 cm
Beginning Folfox 1/2016 - Failed
Beginning Folfiri and vectibix 8/2016 — Failed
Beginning Folfirinox + Avastin 11/2016 - Failed
Beginning Keytruda 1/2017
CEA drop from 345 to 7.3 after starting immunotherapy
Lynch positive 3/2016

ANDRETEXAS

Postby ANDRETEXAS » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:28 pm

Marylandmaniac wrote:
ANDRETEXAS wrote:I recommend exercise (even with the pump). I walked 3 miles a day. It helped my attitude immensely. Buy some Pellegrino when the taste of water becomes disgusting. :D Hoping it goes by quickly...and remember - one day at a time ! Andre

Thanks Andre,
I think the issue I am having is I am getting sick of drinking things room temperature. I wonder if that is why water is not as appealing? I think the cold sensitivity is gone now. I ate some yogurt out of the refrigerator and didn't have an issue. The only thing that is lingering is the feeling in my mouth and tongue that I ate something hot.
So I am going out today and getting some Pellegrino and some lemon heads/drops (someone else mentioned that on here and I like that idea).

------------------

I didn't get cold sensitivity until about round 3...Agree with the lemon heads....agree with Biotene, especially if you get any mouth sores. (I only had one early on.) I couldn't stand room temperature liquids (except the Pellegrino or Perrier), so since cold was out....it was hot coffee, hot tea, soup.......spicy things helped me too....especially Chinese and Mexican foods.
2/10/14 - Colon resect
2/13 - DX- Stage IIIb
6 of 18 lymph nodes cancerous
3/7 - Port placed
3/11 - FOLFOX (12 rds w/full oxi)
8/14 - Chemo finish
8/25 - CT- Inc
9/5 - clean PET
12/10- clean CT

3/2/15 - Clean colonoscopy & port removed
3/4 - clean CT
9/21- clean CT

3/23/16 - clean CT

2/22/17- clean CT

3/21/18 - clean CT
4/1 - clean colonoscopy

3/11/19 - clean CT
9/23 - Five-year release - Annual visits now !

4/13/23 - clean colonoscopy

ONE DAY AT A TIME !

Annemiek

Postby Annemiek » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:52 am

Fellow engineer here,
first few rounds were ok for me, cold sensitivty ( getting bread from the freezing became annoying) and warm lemonade, feeling ill, but getting back up. Most difficulty is becoming the repeating sequence of the two weekly circle of pump, feeling ill, feeling better and as soon as you think, yah! Someone's ready with your next pump.
I ate mashed potatoes,p because nothing tasted the same, applesauce to prevent mouthsores and after a few days after infusion, chocolate icecream with lots of whipped cream was the only cold stuff I could handle!
I lost a lot of weight, so my hubby prepared me a caramel machiatto each morning ( lucky me) to get some full fat milk into me and coffee kick.
The last rounds were the worst as I didn't get better in between and was just sick and weak all the time.
It's a mental thing. Keep your rhythm of exercising daily, even if it's just a walk around the block. Schedule some special me time in the week off to spoil yourself, even if you think you won't need it, it will keep up your spirits. I had massages and the beautysalon and apart of the one time she used oil that gave me a rash, it was wonderfully relaxing and mentally strengthening.

Do what works best for you, cause now, you are all that matters for now at least!!

Good luck, you can do this!!

Annemiek

43 yr mum of a girl aged 7
10/2014 coloncancer stage IIIc
11/2014 HIPEC, tumor removed + 12 positive out of 60 ln
hysterectomy, abdominal lining partly removed
Peridonitus, stoma fitted, 6 abcesses drained in abdomen
MSS, kras
3/2015 Folfox, someones playing kill Bill inside me
9/2015 finished 12 rounds,
First scan results: NED!!!!!!!!!
4/2016 ct scan: NED!!!
7/2016 ultrasound: NED
10/2016 cr scan: NED
5/2017 ultrasound: NED 2,5 yrs!
CEA 8/2017 1.8 stable.
CT scan 11/2017 NED! 3 yrs
CEA 1.9

Marylandmaniac

Postby Marylandmaniac » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:15 am

ANDRETEXAS wrote:
Marylandmaniac wrote:

Thanks Andre,

------------------

I didn't get cold sensitivity until about round 3...Agree with the lemon heads....agree with Biotene, especially if you get any mouth sores. (I only had one early on.) I couldn't stand room temperature liquids (except the Pellegrino or Perrier), so since cold was out....it was hot coffee, hot tea, soup.......spicy things helped me too....especially Chinese and Mexican foods.

I started using baking soda and water to swish my mouth after eating and that seems to be helping. Chinese has been good. The other thing that seems to settle my stomach is fatty foods. The day after my infusion I really wanted a cheesesteak sub. I never usually eat that. A friend brought me one and it did the trick. SO for now I am not going to worry about the types of food I eat.

Marylandmaniac

Postby Marylandmaniac » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:50 pm

Annemiek wrote:Fellow engineer here,
first few rounds were ok for me, cold sensitivty ( getting bread from the freezing became annoying) and warm lemonade, feeling ill, but getting back up. Most difficulty is becoming the repeating sequence of the two weekly circle of pump, feeling ill, feeling better and as soon as you think, yah! Someone's ready with your next pump.
I ate mashed potatoes,p because nothing tasted the same, applesauce to prevent mouthsores and after a few days after infusion, chocolate icecream with lots of whipped cream was the only cold stuff I could handle!
I lost a lot of weight, so my hubby prepared me a caramel machiatto each morning ( lucky me) to get some full fat milk into me and coffee kick.
The last rounds were the worst as I didn't get better in between and was just sick and weak all the time.
It's a mental thing. Keep your rhythm of exercising daily, even if it's just a walk around the block. Schedule some special me time in the week off to spoil yourself, even if you think you won't need it, it will keep up your spirits. I had massages and the beautysalon and apart of the one time she used oil that gave me a rash, it was wonderfully relaxing and mentally strengthening.

Do what works best for you, cause now, you are all that matters for now at least!!

Good luck, you can do this!!

Annemiek

Thanks Annemiek. Always nice to hear how other people handle things. SO far the only thing is the burnt tongue feeling. I worked out yesterday and today and feel pretty good. Yesterday after I came home I did feel tired so I just rested on the couch for a bit and then felt better. I think the key is just listen to my body. I am realistic enough to know that each round will most likely get tougher but I am going to hope for the best. I am trying to keep it in my head that chemo is my ally in this fight and I need it to kill this tumor and any scragglies in there.
And I like the idea of ice cream!! I may have to treat myself to some later this week. I haven't tried anything super cold yet but figured I should be okay in the second week.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”