Folfox4 regimen - Dos and Donts

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
parvathic

Folfox4 regimen - Dos and Donts

Postby parvathic » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:17 pm

Dear all:

My mum in India has been diagnosed with Stage C2 and will start Folfox 4 regimen next week. My mother is 65 years old and is little on the fatter side. She does not have any other major illness except for GERD and borderline hypertension/hypercholestrol. Although we have been briefly informed about the side effects to expect, I would love to hear about the following:
1. Most common side effects
2. Diet that helped
3. Diet that did not help
4. Any other tips?

Thanks to all for your input.

Regards
Parvathi

jhocno197

Re: Folfox4 regimen - Dos and Donts

Postby jhocno197 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:47 pm

While on folfox, if there is anything at all she actually wants to eat, that's what she should eat. Side effects include nausea, fatigue, neuropathy, cold sensitivity, first bite syndrome (when you first bite into something it's extremely unpleasant).
DH - dx Dec 2014, stage IV with bladder & peritoneal involvement - non-resectable
Colostomy
FOLFOX failed
FOLFIRI failed
Tumor actually distending pelvic skin
Not a candidate for last-ditch pelvic exenteration
Stivarga finally begun 2/19/16
Tumor growing/fungating
Lonsurf started 11/18/16
Died 3/10/17

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:07 pm

Concur when on chemo if something sounds/feels good to eat, eat it. I found several small meals vs 3 meal in stomach was better for me. She will lose her taste for food while on chemo, butt her taste buds will come back after chemo.

If something does not sound good, do NOT eat or drink it. I am so grateful to my chemo nurse. She noticed I was getting an aversion to water, told me to stop drinking now. If I continued I would never drink it again. She was right. I love it today.

I always got an egg breakfast sandwich on way to chemo. Again food in stomach kept nausea away.

Watch for side effects, they will increase with each infusion. So tell the Onc as you notice them.

Hope this helps some,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

parvathic

Postby parvathic » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:59 am

Thank you so much Lee! These inputs will help me to talk to my mom. Thanks thanks...

JuicysJoi

Postby JuicysJoi » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:40 pm

Hello Parvathic. My father had 10 rounds of FOLFOX and quickly became VERY sensitive to cold. He had the misfortune of doing these rounds in the NY winter and the cold air really hurt his teeth. He also developed neuropathy that did not subside once the treatment was discontinued. The side effects increased with each round. The cold sensitivity did subside a few months after he switched to Avastin + 5 FU. I would suggest NO cold foods or drinks, capsaicin cream can help with the neuropathy, and whatever foods she can tolerate. My father said food tasted odd and sometimes metallic during his FOLFOX. He didn't use metal utensils during this time as it exacerbated that taste...he did better eating with plastic utensils and drinking hot liquids and soups. Sensodyne toothpaste it ever travel may help if her teeth begin to hurt. Thick, warm socks help as well as thick gloves for reaching into the freezer ( she will not want to handle cold items while on this treatment) I hope all goes well with the treatments and please keep us updated :)
~The Only Child~

10/14- Father DX stage IV inoperable, terminal rectal cancer, mutiple large mets to liver. (After stint in ICU ruptured ulcer/peritonitis/septic shock, kidney failure)
10/14- port placement, permanent colostomy
11/14- neurogenic bladder/ cath req indefinitely
11/14- 04/15 - 10 rounds FOLFOX
04/15-anaphylaxis/ rash reaction to oxali (stopped)
05/15 - 11/15 - Avastin + 5FU
11/15 - 04/16 - Sepsis, severe pain, bladder invasion
06/20/2016 - Departed the suffering of this life

canadiandaughter

Postby canadiandaughter » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:27 am

My dad found that food high in flavor and spice were good to him. He loves onion rings! I made butter chicken for him one night and he warmed up the left overs for breakfast. He even got on a clamato juice kick, that was all he would drink. One odd thing about dad that I have yet to see anyone else mention, is that he needs his drinks ice cold!!! That is not the norm! He is diabetic so has bad feeling in hands and feet but has not had any neuropathy from chemo yet that he can tell us. The Canadian cold winters did not give him any grief either.
DD to 81 year old father
dx 24/07/14 iv cc mets liver/lung
folifiri started 19/07/14
shrinkage of all mets
growth in the liver,started folfox/avastin 80% 13/01/16
reduced to 70% due to side effects 27/01/16
First scan on folfox shows shrinkage in lungs, but liver just stable
6 rounds of vectibix-fail. 3cm growth and new spots showing Waiting for panel recommendations
At peace January 8, 2017

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”