The waiting...

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
sun569

The waiting...

Postby sun569 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:37 pm

Hello, I am new to this site. I had my first colonoscopy on the 1st of Aug. this year. I woke up to have this information told to me. I had a mass half the diameter of my colon that looks very suspicious of cancer. They took a biopsy, and am waiting for the results. I don't have a good feeling about this at all. I was told it would have to be surgically removed, and then if it is has mastised (sp?) then chemo would be in order.

Couple questions? Has any one ever tried alternative treatment, from a homeopathic doctor? If so, how did things turn out? I am really scared, and the waiting is killing me! Is Chemo the only answer and how bad is it? All I have ever heard is it wrecks havoc on the body, and kills all the good cells, along with the cancer cells. Does it make you sick? I know each person is different, but any information would be helpful!

Thanks in advance:) Susan

teri3

Re: The waiting...

Postby teri3 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:23 pm

Chemo isnt as bad as it use to be. I was on folfox for 6 months and other than being tired I felt pretty good :). Prayers and good luck.
58 yrs old female
MSS KRAS mutation G12V
adenocarcinoma sigmoid colon dx 11-14
sigmoidectomy 11-14
Stage 3A
3 out of 20 lymph nodes involved
started FolFox 1-27-15
11 rounds FOLFOX last one 6-30-2015
7-29-2015 PET clear
5-14-2016 CT 2 nodules one in each lung
Confirmed pulmonary metastasis stage 4
FOLFIRi + Avistin started 8-16 11 rounds complete 12-16
CT 12-16 nodules shrunk chemo break wait and see :?
CT growth
VATS l lung 4 10 17
VATS r lung 4 24 17
CT 2 nodules r up and l low :(

aja1121

Postby aja1121 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:36 pm

Yes, not only have they come a long way in terms of determining chemo doses, the premedications (anti-nausea etc) make a big difference. My husband was able to work full-time throughout his chemo treatments.

I have a good friend who is a naturopath. She has been very helpful along the way in terms of suggesting nutrition, supplements, etc. to keep my husband healthy and strong. But we have always regarded her advice as a complement to the oncology treatments, rather than a replacement. My personal opinion is that anyone newly diagnosed should hit this disease as hard as they can, with every resource they can, right from the start. But that is only my opinion.

I won't tell you not to worry. But I will tell you it gets easier to wrap your mind around once the initial questions are answered and a plan is in place. You'll be in my thoughts.
05/23/14 DH dx Stage 3B rectal ca (age 41)
6/2014 chemorad | 10/2014 LAR, all nodes clean
FOLFOX x 10 | VATS/lung met | ileo reversal
09/15 local recurrence
10/15 colostomy
11/15 FOLFIRI x 4, major growth
02/16 tumor debulked
Stable ten months on Xeloda/Avastin
Growth on clinical trials NCT02024607 (BBI608 + FOLFIRI), NCT02817633 (anti-PD-1 + anti-TIM-3), NCT03175224 (c-Met inhibitor)
09/27/2018 started hospice
02/07/19 died

esk2poo

Postby esk2poo » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:00 pm

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis but traditional medicine has really improved in the area of CRC. You can do things in conjunction with your onc but there won't be any replies to your question as those who only did alternative treatments are dead and can't answer you.
Good luck,
Allen
Dx 8/23/11 stage 3b crc
3 of 11 LN's
resection 9/15/11
folfox start 10/31/11 12 sessions
De-ported 6/2012
clear CT 7/2012
Clear colonoscopy 9/2012

rp1954

Postby rp1954 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:07 pm

Any alternative treatment at this moment should be based on biology and chemistry. There are critical and constructive things one can do instead of "just waiting". Our view starts with "better living through chemistry" and better bloodwork.

1. We immediately organized supplements and mild drugs that have literature that indicate anti-cancer effects, immediately starting with cimetidine, some dietary changes, and easily available, high potency supplements. Life Extension offers several articles on cancer, cancer surgery preparations and colorectal cancer. There was a favorable immunological response and cancer reduction across 4 weeks.
2. We lined up surgeon appointments serially, ASAP, to avoid interview delays. Surgeons can have a much different view than oncologists.
3. We get much more bloodwork done, usually by self order. The initial and early baseline data are important.

If you want above average results, you want to avoid the average pitfalls.
For us, extra chances required extra work, earlier.
watchful, active researcher and caregiver for stage IVb/c CC. surgeries 4/10 sigmoid etc & 5/11 para-aortic LN cluster; 8 yrs immuno-Chemo for mCRC; now no chemo
most of 2010 Life Extension recommendations and possibilities + more, some (much) higher, peaking ~2011-12, taper chemo to almost nothing mid 2018, IV C-->2021. Now supplements

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:50 pm

Welcome to the board and sorry for the reason you're here.*hugs* Waiting is so hard! Hopefully you don't have to wait much longer for your biopsy results. I was diagnosed as stage 2a after surgery. The oncologist I saw said that chemo wouldn't be much benefit and advised me not to have chemo. I didn't have chemo and have been in remission since 2014. I hope to continue to be in remission(NED) this year.
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:51 am

You don't get many second chances with Stage 4 cancer, so like to characterize any treatment as "playing for all the marbles." That's why I chose to get chemo. That said, you can do a lot to improve your general health, and that will certainly help you fight the disease. A healthy body is so much easier to treat than a weak, stressed out one. So yes, you can augment any treatment with exercise, good eating habits and food, plenty of sleep and a minimum of stress. The last one, as you are well aware, is the hardest.

I certainly hope your pathology results come back negative for cancer. And if not, I hope that it hasn't metastasized. In any event, you will increase your odds of survival if you augment proven treatments (chemo) with a healthy body and lifestyle.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:19 pm

You've been given some great advice. As BB pointed out, you only get one chance to get it right the first time. I knew one person who choose the non chemo route, she did not make it. If you are diagnosed a stage 1 or sometimes a stage 2, chemo may not be needed.

One thing I would highly recommend, get a BOARD CERTIFIED colon rectal surgeon to do your surgery vs general surgeon, ESPECIALLY if you are dealing with rectal cancer. They have the extra training to get the job done right the first time. There are a few people on this forum who have had bad outcomes simply because the surgeon was a general surgeon and didn't know what they doing.

You will find a wealth of info and support here. People who have walked in your shoes and others who are starting this journey just as you are.

All the best,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Swirdfish

Postby Swirdfish » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:54 pm

Hi Susan,

A lot of other good comments here and I can only tell u my story so far. I'm currently do chemoradiation on 5FU and radiation daily, and I can say I feel really good after 4 weeks. Weekly blood tests confirm my immune system is fine and only side effect I feel is a little tired sometimes.

My naturopath doctor who is world renown apparently said that's it's all up to the doctors and treatment and that there was nothing he can really do for me. He did say take protocol tablets and to never stop taking them as its an immune support tablet. All natural. He actually is an iridologist.

To me or what I believe is most natural remedies are for prevention so I would throw everything at it including chemo.

Even my surgeon said I have one chance at this.

My colonoscopy doctor pulled me and my wife aside and told me my mass didn't look good. He didn't say it was cancer but they know, they just don't jump the gun before pathology comes back. I saw a surgeon the next day with lots of scans and blood work so they knew.

Also I've request a CEA test and asked about a PET scan but my once said its not usually done for my stage. But since I haven't had surgery yet I haven't been officially staged go figure, but I learned of my prelim stage by asking for all my scan results. Get all your scan result copies it has a lot of information on there to help u understand.

I hope this helps. And sorry u are here.
06/2016 Went in for colonoscopy came out with a tumor. Age 35
12cm from verge at junction. Rectal cancer.
Clinical stage T3 NO MO
Temp illestomy
Completed 5FU and Radiation
LAR surgery planned 13 Oct 2016
Completed ULAR surgery 11-10-2016.
0/22 nodes
pT3 N0 M0 R1
Stage 2A

Pathology reviewed and changed
ypT3 N0 M0 R0

Started folfox 21-11-2016
5-4-17 NED
Reversal 12-4-17

sun569

Postby sun569 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:51 am

Wow...thanks for all the advice, and information. A journey I never wanted to walk in, but here I am. I have always eaten well, used to work out but life had changes in store for me the last few years, and my regular work outs were dropped. I am still an active person, and eat all my fruits and veges. Have stopped eating red meat all but once in awhile. Lots of chicken and pork. Don't eat fast food, we really don't have the money to eat at restaurants all that much, so most meals made are home cooked, and healthy for the most part.

Was told their showed blood in my stool, but never seen any on the toilet paper, Because of all the good foods I eat, have no issues with constipation, unless I indulge in a bit too much cheese. lol

I have started eating on a daily basis curry, and turmeric, well known for their cancer fighting abilities. I made a list of about 10 cancer fighting foods, and have already been eating them, but have stepped up the intake to daily instead of weekly.

I guess after the initial shock wore off, I knew that if this is in fact cancer, then I better put my big girl panties on, and face it head on, with no looking back! My dad is a two time survivor of cancer of the larynx. So, he has given me so much support the last couple days. My neighbor is in chemo for breast cancer, so I plan a talk with her, after I find the results.

I can't thank you all enough for the added support, and advice

One thing I would highly recommend, get a BOARD CERTIFIED colon rectal surgeon to do your surgery vs general surgeon, ESPECIALLY if you are dealing with rectal cancer. They have the extra training to get the job done right the first time. There are a few people on this forum who have had bad outcomes simply because the surgeon was a general surgeon and didn't know what they doing.

Off to make some brown rice to eat with my cancer fighting lunch!! Susan

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:46 pm

sun569 wrote:. . . I have always eaten well, used to work out but life had changes in store for me the last few years, and my regular work outs were dropped. I am still an active person, and eat all my fruits and veges. Have stopped eating red meat all but once in awhile. Lots of chicken and pork. Don't eat fast food, we really don't have the money to eat at restaurants all that much, so most meals made are home cooked, and healthy for the most part.

I have started eating on a daily basis curry, and turmeric, well known for their cancer fighting abilities. I made a list of about 10 cancer fighting foods, and have already been eating them, but have stepped up the intake to daily instead of weekly.

Off to make some brown rice to eat with my cancer fighting lunch!! Susan

You will come to learn in time, you can eat all the right food, lead a healthy life and still end up with cancer, YET your neighbor eats junk food, very overweight, does not believe in exercise and will never get cancer.

I believe they call this "life" :D . We here call it a journey.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Pita

Postby Pita » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:22 pm

Good luck and prayers to you Susan! Hope your results come back negative and cancer is found be sure and stay around here, the support here will definitely help. Remember that everyone you talk to has a different experience with chemo, radiation and all other treatments.
70yo Fem DX: 1/21/2016 RC Stage IV-Nodules lungs
MSS-Kras Wild-Lynch Synd Neg-Lung Biopsy 1/27/16-Port 2/19/16
MRI 7/7/16 Endometrial polyp found, watching LAR 7/19/16, No Ileostomy, Stage ypT3 N1
CT 11/7/16: Most mets stable,1 shrunk,1 new??
CEA Tests: 1/21/16=20, 12/22/16=5.3, 1/20/17=4.8, 2/15/17=6.2
9/20/16-1/24/17 Folfuri & Avastin
#10/10 Done
PET/CT 2/10/16-1/31/17=Some shrunk & growth to 2, Avastin failing ??? :evil:
2/21/17 Folfuri & Avastin

Sashinka

Postby Sashinka » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:33 am

Folfox...chemo was ok but have had blood in stool and some constipation.
Anyone else?

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:53 am

I get that from Irinotecan but not oxy.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

Soccermom2boys

Postby Soccermom2boys » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:43 pm

Lee wrote:You will come to learn in time, you can eat all the right food, lead a healthy life and still end up with cancer, YET your neighbor eats junk food, very overweight, does not believe in exercise and will never get cancer.

I believe they call this "life" :D . We here call it a journey.

So well said, Lee! I too love my fruits and veggies and am fairly active, not overweight, and have never once smoked and don't even drink and yet here I am, a member of the sucky CRC club and diagnosed under the typical onset age. Thankfully the members in this club rock, helps to make it feel a bit better to be so "lucky" for the membership. :D

Sorry Sun you are joining us, but you are fortunate to have come across this forum, it really is a sanity saver for the camaraderie of being surrounded by folks who have been in your same shoes. As for the chemo, I did 8 rounds of FOLFOX (I had rectal cancer so same drug, but different treatment protocol) and my best description of the chemo would be miserable, but tolerable. If you end up needing to do chemo most likely FOLFOX is what you will be dealing with and it is an every other week infusion. The non infusion weeks are generally uneventful so that is a good thing.

Let us know what you find out from your follow up with your doc regarding the biopsy--we'll be here for you to help get you through whatever is coming down the path. This is by far the most mentally challenging part, the not knowing what all is ahead and waiting to just get started, but one day leads to the next and eventually you get to the other side of the treatments.
8/3/15 Went in with a hemorrhoid, came out with a tumor
8/12/15 Biopsy from colonoscopy confirms RC (45 yrs old--zero family history!)
9/21 - 10/29/15 chemorad 28 tx (with Xeloda)
12/17/15 APR with perm colostomy
Pathology report stages me as IIIA (T2N1M0)--1/15 LN detects cancer
2/3/16 chemo port inserted
2/8-6/2/16 8 rounds of Folfox

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”