Drugs to control LARS - HELP!!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
chezkilleen

Drugs to control LARS - HELP!!

Postby chezkilleen » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:12 am

I had significant bowel surgery 2.5 years ago which resulted in a chunk of bowel and all my rectum being removed. I had a bag for a year and reversal surgery January 2015. I have had no after care help and I am at my wits end with my bowel restricting so much of my day to day life. 90% of the time I live with sludgey bowel movements which are really hard to control and 10% exploding liquid movements when I have eaten something my colon reacts to! 18 months down the line I do know what foods affect me so I do have less liquid tests! Normally I have to wear something at night as again I leak. Up to now I have not taken any regular meds just imodium if I have an upset stomach but I think taking something might really help me I just don't know where to start.

My question is to those who have found they suffer from LARS. I have read about the use of Metamucil and imodium. Can people post how they take their meds and when? For the last two days I have taken one metamucil at night and it definitely stops me having to go to the loo 10 times in the morning but I'm not sure why or when to take the imodium. Ideally I like to use the loo in the morning so should I take the Metamucil in the morning or at night?

Sorry for the ramble but I'm due to go on hols and last time had a nightmare with getting to the loo in time, and it was really tricky. I know I am one of the lucky ones and for that I am so grateful so I don't like to moan but I think with help I can be in better control.

Please help.

weisssoccermom

Re: Drugs to control LARS - HELP!!

Postby weisssoccermom » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:24 pm

I did not have the same surgery that you are speaking about for precisely that reason. ....I didn't want to have to deal with that potential problem.
However, after gallbladder surgery, I had a similar problem...one I later found out was not at all uncommon for people whose gallbladders were removed. No one warned me about it and it wasn't until I brought up the subject with my surgeon that he offered a solution. A drug called QUESTRAN was invaluable to me and I have recommended it over the years to many people on this board for the exact same problem...uncontrollable diarrhea and nothing seems to work. That's because Immodium doesn't work on most cases of diarrhea caused by colon problems or bile salt issues within the colon.

Questran was first developed as a drug for lowering cholesterol and isn't used much anymore for that purpose. However, in many cases, it does work very well for diarrhea that can't be controlled by other common drugs such as Immodium or even lomotil. Ask your doctor for some and experiment with dosages. Warning, if you take the standard, cholesterol dose, you may find it is WAY too much. Start out with the same dose, only split the doses over the day. Make sure you drink plenty of fluids....taking the drug without adequate intake will cause some severe constipation. I just refilled my Questran Rx (I use it occasionally from time to time) and it comes in a powder form...either in a large canister...like baby formula...or in little packets. Again, if you decide to try it, start out slowly and work your way up to a dosage that works for you. The powder needs to be mixed with some liquid...orange juice worked for me. Do NOT mix it with anything carbonated...it explodes when mixed with something like 7-up. My one friend used it 3-4 times a day before she found the right balance.

Good luck.
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

chezkilleen

Postby chezkilleen » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:59 pm

Thank you for your help, I will certainly look up that drug. I have had a much better day just taking one metamucil. I think that just taking a few drugs will make huge changes.

Pita

Postby Pita » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:40 pm

Hope you find the perfect solution!
70yo Fem DX: 1/21/2016 RC Stage IV-Nodules lungs
MSS-Kras Wild-Lynch Synd Neg-Lung Biopsy 1/27/16-Port 2/19/16
MRI 7/7/16 Endometrial polyp found, watching LAR 7/19/16, No Ileostomy, Stage ypT3 N1
CT 11/7/16: Most mets stable,1 shrunk,1 new??
CEA Tests: 1/21/16=20, 12/22/16=5.3, 1/20/17=4.8, 2/15/17=6.2
9/20/16-1/24/17 Folfuri & Avastin
#10/10 Done
PET/CT 2/10/16-1/31/17=Some shrunk & growth to 2, Avastin failing ??? :evil:
2/21/17 Folfuri & Avastin

kellywin

Postby kellywin » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:05 am

I didn't have the temp ileo, so I'm not sure that my situation was the same, but I can tell you the first year sucked after the resection sucked. I have pretty damn good bowel quality now and Metamucil saved my life. Here are some things that helped me:

Metamucil - enormous, overflowing teaspoon, plus a little extra in a 8-ish oz coffee mug. Fill with water. Each night. Not the pills, but the powder.
Lotomil - this worked much better for me than Imodium. It doesn't seem to stop me up the next day.
Norco - I'm on a hefty dose for post chemo/radiation related pain in my feet and butt muscles & hips. The norco really slows things down.

I know others have mentioned other things in the past on these threads - so hopefully some combination will help you.
Kelly, mom 14 yo girl
Dx 11/15/12 Rectal Cancer @ age 40
Stage IIIC
5.5 weeks Xeloda & Radiation - complete 2/5/13
Colectomy 3/12/13, 7 of 14 nodes positive - no ileo
4/24/13-8/20/13 - 5 rounds Xelox, 1 Xeloda only

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”