Exercise--Tumor Suppression through Epinephrine

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
PeterG

Exercise--Tumor Suppression through Epinephrine

Postby PeterG » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:15 pm

I have mentioned in prior posts, and seen some similar discussion by others here, that the more exercise I get--the harder I push myself, exercise-wise, the better I seem to feel and deal with chemo. There seems to be a lot of research going on these days about the effect of aerobic exercise on tumor growth, and I just finished hacking through a recent article entitled Voluntary Running Suppresses Tumor Growth through Epinephrine--and IL-6-Dependent NK Cell Mobilization and Redistribution. (Abstract/artivle at http://www.aicr.org/cancer-research-upd ... oogle.com/). This was referred to/commented on in a New York Times article in February: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/02/2 ... risk/?_r=0.

I don't know if I am simply grasping at straws and cherry-picking studies and fragments that support my own wishful thinking about my own survival (Certainly I am capable of this--and psychologically, I condone my own optimism as a means of maintaining a positive, salubrious outlook/attitude.) I do know a lot of us are in palliative care through chemo that involves some nasty side effects in order to improve our "quality of life," and that my quality of life not only improves while I am engaging in relatively extreme exercise, but it appears to diminish, or help me cope with, the side effects. Plus my most recent CT scan appears to show marked shrinkage in all of my multiple, inoperable lung mets--hard to say how much is due to Xeloda, Avastin, exercise or luck. Does anyone know of any clinical trials working with physical exercise--distance running, cycling, swimming, whatever--and stage-4 CRC patients? The work with mice on treadmills is interesting, but....

I have found a few articles on exercise and cancer treatment/progression (links, below), and these are interesting. I would be quite interested in the thoughts of others on this. I am, of course, way over my head, but reading a lot, and trying to get as much physical exercise as possible.

Effects and potential mechanisms of exercise training on cancer progression: a translational perspective (2013) : http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22610066
A Field in Motion: Fighting Cancer with Exercise (MSK Article 2015) https://www.mskcc.org/blog/field-motion ... g-exercise
Sloan Kettering’s Quest to Prove Exercise Can Inhibit Cancer (MSK article 2015) https://www.mskcc.org/blog/field-motion ... g-exercise
Exercise in Lessening Fatigue Caused by Cancer in Patients Undergoing Chemotherapy (EXCAP) (2009 Univ. of Rochester) https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00924651
DX Aug. 2013 Resection 09/13.
08/14 CT : .7 CM pulmonary nodule--& multiple nodules.
03/15 15 dendritic cell vaccine-monthly
05/16 begin 3000 MG Xeloda & Avastin
11-16 shrinkage.”Sstable"
2/2017: Port installed. Begin Folfiri and Avastin
8/2017: Xeloda, Avastin and Iranotican. 3-wk cycle.
2-6-18: small pulmonary embolim—some growth in one pulmonary tumor. Start Xarelto.
2-8-18 : Change of chemo: Xeloda with Oxaliplatin no avastin.
9/2018: Tumor growth. Begin Stivarga.

H is for Hawk

Re: Exercise--Tumor Suppression through Epinephrine

Postby H is for Hawk » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:34 pm

I have read in a few alternative health care books, that excessive excercise can actually suppress the immune system, specifically marathon running or multi hour spinning classes. So moderation may be the key.
H is for Hawk (57)
10/14 L. hemi-colectomy 3 x 4 x 1 cm tumor, 13/14 lymph nodes pos. pT4a N2B M0 stage 3 MSS
11/14 - 4/15 12x FOLFOX
5/15 PET scan: 2.5 x 1.5 cm l. colon lesion, peri surface lesion SUV 2.4, adenocar., KRAS wd, BRAF V600E mut
6/15 HIPEC
9/15 Pleural lining & liver mets, CA 19-9: 6000
10/15 Vectibix Tafinlar Mekinist
11/15 1500
1/16 200
2/16 100, add Lentinan
3/16 122
6/16 4500
7/16 20,000, CT scan - three new liver mets
8/16 6700, FOLFIRI
9/16 4900, CT scan - two new liver mets
10/16 2255 vinorelbine

Jachut
Facebook Username: hutchinson@aanet.com.au

Postby Jachut » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:56 am

H is for Hawk wrote:I have read in a few alternative health care books, that excessive excercise can actually suppress the immune system, specifically marathon running or multi hour spinning classes. So moderation may be the key.

Interesting. Having once been a mad keen runner, sadly, since chemo, the minute I push myself or run more than about 5kms (and even if I do that 2 or 3 days in a row), I will come down with a head cold every single damn time. Saturday morning I met with my personal trainer, she pushed me quite hard - Sunday afternoon my nose started streaming and today I am sick.

I would so love to run and exercise like I did pre and even during cancer. But I simply cannot do it anymore. I have to keep below a certain intensity or I will get ill.

Canada777

Postby Canada777 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:40 am

Earlier this year I remember reading some studies about the effects of exercise on cancer patients. I believe the results said that even light exercise (like a short walk around the block) helps to manage fatigue and stimulate appetite (which can be minimal on chemo).

If you haven't already check out "pubmed" its a website that let's you put in search criteria and pull up scientific research studies. No fee or sign up required. You can always read the abstracts for free and some of the full articles for free.
DH dx. Stage 4 Colon cancer with Peri mets Dec '15 @ age 29
12 Rounds FOLFOX & then successful HIPEC in 2016. Diagnosis changed to appendix cancer.
Recurrence to pelvis 9 months later.
Years of chemo.
At rest. Sept 2021.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”