My LAR experience

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
CatherineG inAF

My LAR experience

Postby CatherineG inAF » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:21 am

I had one cancerous polyp in the rectum removed and when biopsied, the margins weren't clean.
Fast forward two months later, and I was a patient at Univ of Wa Med center having a Lower Anterior Resection (LAR).

I hadn't been in the hospital before except to give birth. I didn't have an epidural then. The doctors told that I would have the epidural placed before I had surgery to make sure everything was okay and it would be delivering the pain meds while I was in recovery. I was really nervous about it.

The surgery took nine hours. Two of those hours had something to do with getting the anesthesia tube placed or working. I'm still not sure what the problem was and I have forgot to ask the surgeon what the problem was. I had the surgery done laparoscopic but have a 6 inch incision near my pubic hair line.

I woke up in recovery and the pain meds were already working. I told the nursing staff two jokes. (I like puns and I have two favorites- so this doesn't surprise me.)

After I got up into my room, my pain was very limited. They asked me the typical pain question. "Rate your pain on the scale of 1 to 10." The most was a two. I rarely pushed the button for more medicine because I thought if was something that I wouldn't take an aspirin for, why push the hand held button for more medicine. I credit my lack of pain to the epidural delivering the right amount of medicine. The pain management folks were spectacular at knowing the right dose and the timing for the epidural.

They say to start walking. They wanted me to walk 16 laps the first day. Within 24 hours, I walked 43 laps. If I couldn't sleep, my IV pole and I went for a walk. This usually tired me out and i could sleep afterwards.

The 2nd day in the surgery ward they lowered the rate of the epidural drip and gave me a different narcotic to take for pain. It caused me to be dizzy, blood pressure shot up and pulse rate increased. I felt worse on the 3rd day than any other day. I started refusing the narcotic and I asked for Tylenol instead. Pain management was fine using Tylenol and I didn't have the dizziness that I felt with the narcotic.

I was released on the fourth day. As everyone says, each day gets better. I'm not back to work yet and I don't plan on going back for a couple more weeks. My energy level is increasing each day. The only downside is that I am still learning the new bathroom routine. I take a stool softener twice a day need a stronger laxative every two to three days. I am still making many trips to the restroom. I am looking forward to my bowels learning how to function without the 8 inches of rectum/colon removed.

I hope my story helps someone else know that this surgery can be managed very successfully with pain meds.

My lab results were very good. I won't be needing chemo or radiation. I'll be back in a year for another colonoscopy.

I appreciate this board so much because I went here when first diagnosed and learned so much from all of you. You encouraged me and calmed me down when I had no idea what I was facing.
53 & Female
Diagnosed in Thailand
DX: Rectal Cancer (RC)
Tumor Location: Rectum
Tumor type: invasive adenocarcinoma
Tumor size: 4 mm
Tumor grade: low grade
Baseline CEA value (4.46) 5/2016
CEA 6/2/2016 4.8
Lynch- Negative.
LAR 7/13/2016 in Seatle, Wa
Home 7/18/2016. SCCA did a good job managing the pain. Waiting lab resulsts

nkoske

Re: My LAR experience

Postby nkoske » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:50 pm

Sounds like everything is going well congrats

CatherineG inAF wrote:I had the surgery done laparoscopic but have a 6 inch incision near my pubic hair line.

I pretty sure this is standard. Laparoscopic ports are between 1/2" -1", so there's no way they'd be able to pass the resection through them. So they need to make a bigger incision to get it out. The also have some stapler bits they need to pass into the abdomen for the anastomosis (coupling) of the colon, that would not fit through a laparoscopic port.
Nick, DX @ age 34, IIIB Rectal Cancer 10/2012
ChemoRad IMRT 11/2012
Laparoscopic LAR 1/2013 (No Ileo)
Post Surgery Path IIIB (2/15 LN)
Chemo 2/2013 (XelOx)
Currently NED, Graduated from Med Onc 10/2017

tarheelmom

Postby tarheelmom » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:00 pm

So happy you had as good a surgical experience as possible.

My ULAR was all laparoscopic. My surgeon talked to me about the possibility of having to make a bikini incision or do the surgery open. It all depended on his real time assessment of the situation. However, he was confident that he could get everything out through the lap ports, and he did. Of course he wasn't able to make a J-pouch or use staples for the anastomosis, but post surgery he explained all the issues (with lots of drawings) and why he had to change direction midway through the surgery. I'm glad he had some backup plans to his main plan.

Also, good luck with your bowels. That's been the most challenging thing for me.
52 y at dx, mom to 4
DX: RC on 2/22/2016
Stage I, T2N0M0, 0/32 LN
23 mm x 7 mm moderately differentiated invasive adenocarcinoma
3 cm from anal verge
4/12/16: ULAR, TME, & temp ileostomy
6/14/16: ileo reversal

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:43 pm

I'm glad that your surgery went so well and that your recovery is going well too! Thanks for sharing your story!
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

Pita

Postby Pita » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:45 pm

Glad your surgery went well.
I had mine on the 19th, lasted 4 hours, all was successful and no ostomy bag needed, 2 nites in hospital. As far as pain goes, I'm still on pain meds, pain comes and goes at a 6-8, mostly my arthritis in hips acting up but getting better everyday.
70yo Fem DX: 1/21/2016 RC Stage IV-Nodules lungs
MSS-Kras Wild-Lynch Synd Neg-Lung Biopsy 1/27/16-Port 2/19/16
MRI 7/7/16 Endometrial polyp found, watching LAR 7/19/16, No Ileostomy, Stage ypT3 N1
CT 11/7/16: Most mets stable,1 shrunk,1 new??
CEA Tests: 1/21/16=20, 12/22/16=5.3, 1/20/17=4.8, 2/15/17=6.2
9/20/16-1/24/17 Folfuri & Avastin
#10/10 Done
PET/CT 2/10/16-1/31/17=Some shrunk & growth to 2, Avastin failing ??? :evil:
2/21/17 Folfuri & Avastin

Jacques

Postby Jacques » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:41 am

nkoske wrote:Sounds like everything is going well congrats

CatherineG inAF wrote:I had the surgery done laparoscopic but have a 6 inch incision near my pubic hair line.

I pretty sure this is standard. Laparoscopic ports are between 1/2" -1", so there's no way they'd be able to pass the resection through them. So they need to make a bigger incision to get it out. The also have some stapler bits they need to pass into the abdomen for the anastomosis (coupling) of the colon, that would not fit through a laparoscopic port.

Nick: Thanks for the clarification. For the past couple of years I have always been wondering how they ever managed to get your big tumor out through those tiny laparoscopic ports!

Rob in PA

Postby Rob in PA » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:31 am

Very informative post, thank you. Best to you during recovery.
Rob
dx 11/07 crc IIIb @ 39
Xelox/Rad/ temp colostomy
LAR/J-pouch/ temp ileo
Folfox-8
Failed reversal
2/09 liver mets; liver resect/ileo reversal
Folfiri/Avastin - 12
2/11 5 lung mets
Folfiri/Avastin 2011
SBRT 3/12
Lung met 5/13/ said NO to more chemo