I went in yesterday for my final infusion of Oxi. My blood counts were all very good, so they proceeded with the infusions of anti-nausea meds, steroids and Oxi.
I reached the half-way point with the Oxi infusion and my throat started to hurt (like it would if I drank something cold - but I hadn't had anything to eat or drink), so I notified the nurse. I asked the nurse for some hot tea (which would normally cure the sore throat problem) and she went to make the tea for me. In the meantime I went to the bathroom and just happened to see the doctor talking with someone else. I was able to get his attention and then I went in the other room where I was sitting. The nurse came back with the hot tea which did not help my throat and by this time, I was feeling like my throat was swelling. The nurse offered two options: wait 5 to 10 minutes while continuing the Oxi to see if it would stay the same, get better or get worse (to give us more info to figure out the next step) or stop the Oxi for 20-30 minutes and then see how my throat is feeling at the end of that time-frame. At this point, the doctor stops by and asks me if I wanted to see him. I explain what is going on and he stops the Oxi immediately. Since this was scheduled to be my last infusion, he said that 5 and 1/2 is good enough. He does not want to take the risk of re-starting the Oxi. He then orders 100mg of steroids (I had already had 10mg) and 25mg of Benadryl (I later received another 25mg of Benadryl).
My daughter arrived shortly after the additional meds were administered and I was being closely monitored by the nursing staff. I also was having difficulty taking in a full deep breadth, so I asked if I could take my inhaler (I have intermittent asthma symptoms (but not in quite a while). The doctor approved the inhaler use and this eventually seemed to help me draw in a fully deep breadth. However, my swollen throat continued and I also experienced intermittent jaw pain. Apparently although I was able to breathe ok, I was having difficulty swallowing and it also effected my voice (my daughter noticed this one). Since the oncology office was closing, they recommended going to the ER.
Since I didn't think it was advisable to go directly home because my throat could get worse, I followed their suggestion and went to the ER. They gave me more saline and Pepcid through my port. Shortly after the Pepcid was administered, I felt fine. I waited a while and then told them that I was feeling normal and wanted to go home. Their plan included at least another hour, but I told them I would come right back if I had any other issues (the fire department is right up a nearby street and the police station is even closer, so I have excellent response times from police and fire department at my condo).
The doctor let me go home, but they dragged it out another half hour, so I guess we wound up splitting the difference. However, the doctor gave me a prescription for 40mg of prednisone for 5 days! I remember in the past I had taken 40/40/20/20 when my asthma symptoms were an issue and that was bad enough (without considering what I have been through in the last 10 months and I'm so ready to be done with this). I will call oncologist and primary doc about this today.
At least I am done with the Oxi and now we have to figure out the Xeloda (currently delayed until Monday).
I am not typically a drama queen, but I certainly seemed to create quite a bit of it today. LOL!