4th cycles done but I cried

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Marylandmaniac

Re: 4th cycles done but I cried

Postby Marylandmaniac » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:39 pm

Nik Colon wrote:Stats are always going to be outdated for 5 yr survival because the current info is from patients who were diagnosed 5 years up to the most current data. If you look at the stats over the years, the survival stats keep getting better. Now we even have more treatments available and new science breakthroughs, so, try to think of the positive and not focus on the stats. Best wishes

I totally agree Nik. Statistics are outdated and can't be trusted. Plus they don't take into account health at the beginning, age or other circumstances that could influence the statistics. Plus if you are saying you have a 40% chance of having a reoccurrence then that means you have a 60% of not. I try to look on the bright side and do what I can do to help fight this. I research and talk to my doctors. I take supplements that show promise. Maybe they do nothing but if they make me feel somewhat in control of my life than that is good. I try to live my life. I do things with friends and family. I still work. I work out. I try to eat right but I still have dessert. I am starting to plan fun things to look forward to. Someone on here has a quote on the signature that I love. It goes something like Plan on living a long life because you just might. :)
DX 6/29/16 7 cm tumor, 10 cm fr av
CT scan ab,MRI abdomen - 9mm spot on liver,CT scan of chest lungs clear
Special staging MRI - clinical staging stage 3b - T3N2M0 (unless spot proves to be met)
8/11 PET scan - spot lit up not nodes
8/16 Port in, 8/17 liver microwave abltn - spot gone
8/23 6 rds FOLFOX started
PET scan 10-13 43% red of tumor and no mets shown
Exam tumor greatly reduced. Surgery 12-14-16.
Clear margins, 7 out of 13 nodes positive. Tumor 2.1 cm
Kras wild, MMS, not MSI. 6 more rds FOLFOX

Yelin

Postby Yelin » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:15 am

I finished all the chemotherapy last November and celebrated my new life. It's been three months after, diagnosis liver met single 12mm. Is there anyone have same experience, does it mean I will die soon?

jhocno197

Postby jhocno197 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:06 am

Yelin wrote:I finished all the chemotherapy last November and celebrated my new life. It's been three months after, diagnosis liver met single 12mm. Is there anyone have same experience, does it mean I will die soon?

There should be treatment options available for you. If your current doctor is not offering any, find a new doctor.
DH - dx Dec 2014, stage IV with bladder & peritoneal involvement - non-resectable
Colostomy
FOLFOX failed
FOLFIRI failed
Tumor actually distending pelvic skin
Not a candidate for last-ditch pelvic exenteration
Stivarga finally begun 2/19/16
Tumor growing/fungating
Lonsurf started 11/18/16
Died 3/10/17

jhocno197

Postby jhocno197 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:23 pm

Just bumping this up so maybe others will see it.
DH - dx Dec 2014, stage IV with bladder & peritoneal involvement - non-resectable
Colostomy
FOLFOX failed
FOLFIRI failed
Tumor actually distending pelvic skin
Not a candidate for last-ditch pelvic exenteration
Stivarga finally begun 2/19/16
Tumor growing/fungating
Lonsurf started 11/18/16
Died 3/10/17

PainInTheAss

Postby PainInTheAss » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:05 am

Steve Marethyu wrote:One of the drugs that helped me with treatments, both recently and five years ago, was getting a dose of ativan during the infusion. First, it calmed my nerves, which were honestly making things harder, and that I couldn't control. As importantly, it put me to sleep during most of the infusion. I didn't spend my time thinking about the drugs being pumped into me, or noticing how much sicker I was feeling. I just slept! Now this was bad for everyone else, as I snored enough to wake up the dead, but great for me :D Then, I'd find that I slept most of the afternoon once I got home as well.

The other things the doctors started giving me were Aloxi, Amend, and dexamethasone pills that I took at home for three days. I don't know if it was one of these (though I do swear by the Ativan shot), some or all of them in combination, but there was a huge turnaround for me.

They also offered me a patch, but I personally didn't like the one I tried 5 years ago, and since my symptoms went away, I didn't end up trying it. Everyone's different, though, so I hope they'll find something. You shouldn't have to feel so miserable during treatment. Chemo treatments are never going to be fun or easy, but it shouldn't completely ruin your quality of life. Your doctor should have ideas for how to make it better. Start trying things until something works.

Yeah, me, too... But Ativan helped with my physical symptoms, too... Blurry vision, leg cramps... I had sooooo many side effects.

I, too, got really depressed about the stats of a IIIc. It's very easy to get very emotional when you feel like crap. I would cry about everything. I even cried because I couldn't find my car in the parking lot. I cried because grocery shopping was soooo hard. But I decided to believe I was going to be cured until an actual scan, blood test or doctor told me otherwise and I felt sooo much better! You can't live your life based on worst case scenarios.
47yo single mom of 4 (24, 21, 18, 16) at Dx
6/13 - RC T4b IIIc 5LNs on PET CEA 5.4
8/13 - Finish chemorad
10/13 - APR/hyst+ovaries/perm colostomy 2/12 nodes+
6/14 - Finish Xelox 6 rds
1/15 - CT clear CEA 0.2
10/15 - CT/MRI clear CEA 0.7
4/16 - CT clear
10/16 - CT/MRI clear CEA 0.6
5/17 - PET clear? Follow up MRI to verify inflammation

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”