4th cycles done but I cried

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Yelin

4th cycles done but I cried

Postby Yelin » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:39 am

On March, they told me I got stage iiic colon cancer, like most of ppl,I can not believe it , I think the Doctor was making joke.

31/3 bowel incision surgery
4 chemo have done and first two I felt OK for that, I hope it runs quicker and I can be back to human again. But when I knew the cancer recurrence rate for my same situation is about 40% and the doctors can not guarantee you they will cure it. I have been very depressed. I understood I should be positive but it's hard.

The first week of chemo, I am very sick, tired, finger spasm, taste change. I am now very scare to go to the treatment centre to keep it on.

T_T

mypinkheaven
Facebook Username: Sally Cunningham

Re: 4th cycles done but I cried

Postby mypinkheaven » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:55 am

Tell your doctor about your side-effects - maybe they can help make it easier for you.

Don't feel bad about not feeling positive. If crying helps, go ahead and cry. I know I do. What you're going through is very, very hard. The chemo won't last forever and you will feel better.
MSS, KRAS Wild NRAS Mutated
9/2012 CRC IIB Lft Colectomy 0 lymph nodes 0 Chemo
10/2013 CT clear
11/15 CEA 2.7 to 4.6
11/15 Spread to uterus. Hysterectomy
2/16 Pelvic radiation 25, brachytherapy 3
4/16 - 6/16 Xeloda
6/16 CT Several lung nodules 5 mm
8/16 CT Nodules still present. Most stable. Some growth
11/16 Transfer to UCSD Moores
12/16 Folfox + Avastin failed
2/17 Folfiri + Erbitux
8/17 5FU+Erbitux No 5FU bolus
7/18 Spread to vagina
6/18 Folfiri + Avastin + Trametinib
6/18 CEA dropping

AnnClare

Postby AnnClare » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:10 pm

I agree. Tell your doctor about any and all side effects you're experiencing. He/she might be able to help ease some of them.

This is a difficult process. One of the things that sucks most is you feel crappy post-treatment, then begin to feel better and like yourself and then it's time to start the next cycle.
But it's TEMPORARY. I know it feels like it takes forever, believe me. I've got 6 down and potentially 6 more to go. The first four weren't so bad, physically. But these last two have left me with increased cold sensitivity and fatigue, not to mention the weepies!

You can do this. It will save your life. As for the 40% recurrence statistic - don't focus on that. One of the quotes I read after my Dx is, "Do not believe in statistics." You are a unique and individual being, not a number. Believe in what you're doing, even though it's unpleasant. This board is full of survivors who have gone through this hell and have come out on the other side.

Stay strong and please come here and vent, post questions, etc. as often as necessary. It's a great 'therapy', in my opinion.
42 yr. old female
Rectal cancer Stage 3C T3 N1 M0 - Sept 2015
28 rounds radiation w/Xeloda - Nov - Dec 2015
2/17/16 - Surgery to remove rectal tumor, lymph nodes (2/20+), ovaries & fallopian tubes, temp. ileostomy
3/28/16 - 9/26/16 -12 rounds FOLFOX w/full oxi
Ileo reversal 10/27/16; Port removed 12/1/16
Lung mets confirmed 2/6/17
March-May 2017 - brain mets; brain rad. 5/9-5/29/17

Ilovemyboys

Postby Ilovemyboys » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:43 pm

Hi AnnClare,
Just reading your post and signature. I was wondering why they initially diagnosed you with stage 3c? You only had 2 out of 20 lymph nodes positive on your pathology after surgery, right? Additionally, did your surgeon recommend that you have your ovaries and uterus removed? I noticed that you also removed those. Was this decision made during surgery while your surgeon was operating on you? I too have stage 3 rectal cancer...sigh.
Do you have kids?

AnnClare wrote:I agree. Tell your doctor about any and all side effects you're experiencing. He/she might be able to help ease some of them.

This is a difficult process. One of the things that sucks most is you feel crappy post-treatment, then begin to feel better and like yourself and then it's time to start the next cycle.
But it's TEMPORARY. I know it feels like it takes forever, believe me. I've got 6 down and potentially 6 more to go. The first four weren't so bad, physically. But these last two have left me with increased cold sensitivity and fatigue, not to mention the weepies!

You can do this. It will save your life. As for the 40% recurrence statistic - don't focus on that. One of the quotes I read after my Dx is, "Do not believe in statistics." You are a unique and individual being, not a number. Believe in what you're doing, even though it's unpleasant. This board is full of survivors who have gone through this hell and have come out on the other side.

Stay strong and please come here and vent, post questions, etc. as often as necessary. It's a great 'therapy', in my opinion.

Ilovemyboys

Postby Ilovemyboys » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:44 pm

Ilovemyboys wrote:Hi AnnClare,
Just reading your post and signature. I was wondering why they initially diagnosed you with stage 3c? You only had 2 out of 20 lymph nodes positive on your pathology after surgery, right? Additionally, did your surgeon recommend that you have your ovaries and Fallopian tubes removed? I noticed that you also removed those. Was this decision made during surgery while your surgeon was operating on you? I too have stage 3 rectal cancer...sigh.
Do you have kids?

AnnClare wrote:I agree. Tell your doctor about any and all side effects you're experiencing. He/she might be able to help ease some of them.

AppleTree

Postby AppleTree » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:55 pm

It is easy to let statistics give you the weepies! But I honestly believe alot of statistics are outdated and many factors are grouped together - some of which you might not even have. Stay strong! Tell your DR right away about any side effects.
Diag Feb 5, 2016 Age 45
3 cm tumor 5 cm from verge
Radiation + Xeloda pills - 3000mg 5x week
3/14 - 4/16 - 25 sessions
Shrank just over 50% L nodes 0/13
Remove rectum with temp Ileo 6/17
Reversal 7/20 due to infection
Acute hepatitis August. Chemo cancelled
June to September 2016 - 58 days in hospital

6/16, MRI shadow in lung
Pet - 6.6mm Met in Upper R lobe
7/30 VAT surgery Mass General/Boston
8/24 port
8/30 - 4/28 Folfox. 12 rounds
June CT shows new lung Mets.
July/Oct PETs...CLEAR!

LeonW

Postby LeonW » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:55 pm

AnnClare wrote: . . .feel better and like yourself, and then it's time to start the next cycle.

Yeah, but also remember that once the worst days are over, you'll slowly start feeling better again.

I found big comfort in the predictability of the cycles (was on the 3-week Capox cycle, though only 8 cycles fortunately). Learned to write off the first 3 days as a given, knowing that I'd start feeling better on day 4. From there every day would be easier until the final, chemo-free week-3 with living a near-normal life; my holiday week. Took these holiday-weeks as an opportunity to (carefully) celebrate another round under the belt with my dear ones, and to accumulate strength to face the next cycle. But knowing that there was another holiday-week on the horizon.

And don't focus on statistics. Focus on the things that you *can* influence, like trying to feel well despite the misfortune that brought you here.

Hugs, L
Dec 2012 - CC 2 unresect liver mets, CEA 41.8 (MM 65yrs)
Jan 2013 - colectomy @ spleen 2/26 nodes IVa T3N1bM1a
Feb-Jul - 1x Xelox-7x Xelox/Avastin, shrinkage from #3
Aug - 2x PV embolization (both failed)
Sep 2013 - R liver resect, 25d hosp (liver failure/delirium, lung emboli, encephalopathy), no living cancer (pCR)
2014/15 - recovery, scopy: 2 polyps
2016 - new town/life
2018, scopy: 2 polyps
2018/20 low (1.0-1.4) CEAs/clean CTs: 4x2014, 6x2015-17, 3x2018-20
next June 2021!

Pita

Postby Pita » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:21 pm

Hugs to you (((Yelin))) You must continue with your treatment, it gets easier as it becomes the norm and you will learn ways to make yourself feel better, ask your doctor! I would suggest stop reading the negative on the internet because "Reality is never as dark as the places your brain visits in anticipation" . I WANT TO LIVE and I refuse to believe that I am in the 40% diagnosis and I will do anything to survive!!!!!!
70yo Fem DX: 1/21/2016 RC Stage IV-Nodules lungs
MSS-Kras Wild-Lynch Synd Neg-Lung Biopsy 1/27/16-Port 2/19/16
MRI 7/7/16 Endometrial polyp found, watching LAR 7/19/16, No Ileostomy, Stage ypT3 N1
CT 11/7/16: Most mets stable,1 shrunk,1 new??
CEA Tests: 1/21/16=20, 12/22/16=5.3, 1/20/17=4.8, 2/15/17=6.2
9/20/16-1/24/17 Folfuri & Avastin
#10/10 Done
PET/CT 2/10/16-1/31/17=Some shrunk & growth to 2, Avastin failing ??? :evil:
2/21/17 Folfuri & Avastin

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:40 pm

Yelin wrote:. . . But when I knew the cancer recurrence rate for my same situation is about 40% and the doctors can not guarantee you they will cure it. I have been very depressed. I understood I should be positive but it's hard.

The first week of chemo, I am very sick, tired, finger spasm, taste change. I am now very scare to go to the treatment centre to keep it on.

T_T

Agree with others, tell Dr. your symptoms. What chemo are you on?

I am 12 years out from a stage3C diagnoses. There are many people out there who are very much NED today from a stage 3 diagnoses. I have also know many people who were stage3, had a recurrence or a met butt would go on to be NED again without anymore prolems. Unfortunately after a while they tend to stop posting here except to update here and there.

My point. NEVER GIVE UP THE HOPE!

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Steve Marethyu

Postby Steve Marethyu » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:44 pm

I threw up ten times, including at pump disconnect, during my second treatment with Folfiri. I had hit a wall and didn't know if I could go on, or if I wanted to. After the first treatment, which wasn't much better, the doctor even offered to let me stop the irinotecan or treatment altogether, because I hadn't done well on chemo five years ago.

The morning of my third treatment, I called the local cancer support center and scheduled an appointment for a free counseling session. I got to the treatment center and was very honest with the nurse practitioner about how badly things were going. He listened, added multiple different new anti-emetics, and did a full exam, which in and of itself calmed me some, because I could tell that he was really taking his time. After throwing up 10 times during my second treatment, I haven't thrown up, or even hard more than moderate nausea the subsequent 3 Folfiri treatments or 4 more 5F-U treatments.

I had been having this anticipatory nausea and just overall sense of depression and hopelessness. In my first counseling session, the counselor gave me strategies to help me deal with those moments when I am dreading treatment. They were simple things like mediation and coloring (though I never actually got around to trying that.) Those moments which had come to dominate my life, are now few and far between. I think it was prayer, talking to my doctor, and to the counselor that led to the dramatic turnaround.

I am hoping to take a break from chemo soon, but I have gone a lot longer than I could have imagined back in February when I just felt miserable. I hope that you can find the same relief from your symptoms, so that you can get some of your life back and feel normal again. Is there a cancer support center in your area? (I discovered that calling was smarter than emailing. I emailed first and no one responded, which was why I was calling while my ride to treatment was waiting outside ;)
Dx Stage I rectal; 19 lymph nodes clear; age 28.
APR in 1/08; no chemo
Lung met 5/11: VATS 7/11
Folfox/Xelox 9 times; Avastin (1 dose, major bleeding);
13 & 14- Sacrum met, trad. radiation & proton
4/14- severe neuropathy right leg
1/16-4/17- 6 rounds folfiri; Lots of 5-FU/Av
8/17-6/18- Irinotecan and erbitux; severe, unpredictable diarrhea
16 month chemo break, bc I needed it
10/19- multiple, bilateral lung mets; largest ~7.5 cm; persistent cough
11/11/19- resuming Irino and erb and dreading it.

Steve Marethyu

Postby Steve Marethyu » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:59 pm

One of the drugs that helped me with treatments, both recently and five years ago, was getting a dose of ativan during the infusion. First, it calmed my nerves, which were honestly making things harder, and that I couldn't control. As importantly, it put me to sleep during most of the infusion. I didn't spend my time thinking about the drugs being pumped into me, or noticing how much sicker I was feeling. I just slept! Now this was bad for everyone else, as I snored enough to wake up the dead, but great for me :D Then, I'd find that I slept most of the afternoon once I got home as well.

The other things the doctors started giving me were Aloxi, Amend, and dexamethasone pills that I took at home for three days. I don't know if it was one of these (though I do swear by the Ativan shot), some or all of them in combination, but there was a huge turnaround for me.

They also offered me a patch, but I personally didn't like the one I tried 5 years ago, and since my symptoms went away, I didn't end up trying it. Everyone's different, though, so I hope they'll find something. You shouldn't have to feel so miserable during treatment. Chemo treatments are never going to be fun or easy, but it shouldn't completely ruin your quality of life. Your doctor should have ideas for how to make it better. Start trying things until something works.
APR in 1/08; no chemo

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Stats are always going to be outdated for 5 yr survival because the current info is from patients who were diagnosed 5 years up to the most current data. If you look at the stats over the years, the survival stats keep getting better. Now we even have more treatments available and new science breakthroughs, so, try to think of the positive and not focus on the stats. Best wishes

Yelin

Postby Yelin » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:51 pm

Thanks all, I feel better these few days, but next chemo will be on Monday .
The fourth chemo the nurse forgot to release the pump click and I didn't check it until 30 hours later. I found the whole ball and I called hospital, I was 11pm, the nurse answered the phone said she doesn't have any ideas about it. I then opened the click bravely. I called again next morning, they said its ok to keep it until the day after.

I should be very careful next time, checking it more frequently

nomoretacos

Postby nomoretacos » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:45 pm

I can empathise, It is indeed tough both mentally and physically. I try my best to keep positive and I think i'm doing a good job, crying is good to let out your emotions but my eyes sting like crazy when I do so I try to avoid that. I just had my 6th infusion which I should be happy being at the half way mark but the end just seems so far away.

The 40% statistic my Onc said was based on surgery alone, but with chemo the stat goes up to around 70% which doesnt sound right to me but I didnt want to question her. My own expectations is 50% so could go either way in terms of a recurrance. But as others have stated don't focus too much on the stats as everyone is different. I'm just looking forward to the end of 12 cycles and then treating myself to a few well deserved holidays.
03/16 Dx Stage IIIC, sigmoid resection surgery,T3 N2b M0, 7/20 nodes, 4 tumor deposits, CEA 3.7, age 31
04-10/16 Folfox with delays and reductions
10/16 Post chemo CT scan shows two non specific spots (one liver, one lung)
11/16 Port removed
12/16 CEA 0.9
09/17 NED
03/18 NED

Steve Marethyu

Postby Steve Marethyu » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:47 pm

I'm surprised that pump wasn't beeping at you. The first time I took the pump home it started beeping like crazy in the car. I couldn't figure out what was going on. I finally noticed that one of the clamps was closed. I never had a problem after that.

I'm also a bit surprised that the nurses didn't show you how to check the clamps. For example, when the pumps finishes, I was taught how to reclamp everything, and turn the pump off.
APR in 1/08; no chemo

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”