Update on my dad and looking for info on vectibix

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
canadiandaughter

Update on my dad and looking for info on vectibix

Postby canadiandaughter » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:46 pm

I just got home after going with dad to his oncologist appointment yesterday. He has been on folfox with avastin since January and after his second ct scan, the liver is still not responding, actually slight growth, although his lungs are still responding. Dad is tired and wants a break, so after discussion, he is taking from now until July 28th off of chemo (he was due to get it tomorrow) so that he can enjoy my daughters wedding on the 23rd. When he goes back, the oncologist wants to put him on vectibix alone. I have searched the forum and have lots of info out there on vectibix with folfiri or folfox and have seen all the side effects, so know to watch his fingers and toes for infection etc, but is there any hope in this helping his liver? I see that it only will if he is kras wild, which I did not know prior to this morning, so didnt get to ask the oncologist. I am hoping he knows this, but am scared to assume anything these days. I will try and get to his blood work with him on the 26th to ask if it is in is chart before they give it to him on the 28th. He is happy to have a break, although I have tried to tell him he will not be back to normal in a few weeks. Yes, he will likely feel better not but like his old self. He thinks it is instant. I should mention his tumors are all measured in mm, so are very small still, thank goodness. THe slight growth did not have the doctor worried at all. I am hopeful that the diarrhea will subside by the wedding, his voice will come back somewhat and he will be a bit stronger. Is that too much to hope for? Also one other question, if he does take this new chemo, will that take him out of any trials with Nivolumab? Thank you in advance for any input. I have been away from the board a lot lately with family reunion planning and now on to the wedding stuff, so am so far behind in my reading.
DD to 81 year old father
dx 24/07/14 iv cc mets liver/lung
folifiri started 19/07/14
shrinkage of all mets
growth in the liver,started folfox/avastin 80% 13/01/16
reduced to 70% due to side effects 27/01/16
First scan on folfox shows shrinkage in lungs, but liver just stable
6 rounds of vectibix-fail. 3cm growth and new spots showing Waiting for panel recommendations
At peace January 8, 2017

Apple1291

Re: Update on my dad and looking for info on vectibix

Postby Apple1291 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:56 am

I have no info on vectibix. Just wanted to say I hope your dad is feeling better so that he can enjoy your daughter's wedding and wish you all the best from one Canadian daughter to another. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Daughter to Dear Father 57 years old at diagnosis
T4N0MO July/11
12 rounds folfox completed March/12
Recurrence June/16 peritoneal carcinomatosis
12 rounds folfiri and avastin completed November/16
Many more rounds of chemo and 12 tx radiation

canadiandaughter

Postby canadiandaughter » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:06 am

Thank you, he sure has a good attitude, so hoping he gets stronger in the next week or so!
DD to 81 year old father
shrinkage of all mets
6 rounds of vectibix-fail. 3cm growth and new spots showing Waiting for panel recommendations
At peace January 8, 2017

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:38 am

CD, I see you are staying busy! Vectibix is a targeted therapy:
http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/trea ... fact-sheet

I am not familiar w/it, however it is listed in the NCCN Guidelines as a standard of care:
https://www.nccn.org/professionals/phys ... elines.asp

It should illustrate whether it is used alone or in conjunction w/other therapies.

This is a downloadable guide for patients. You will notice there is a menu that includes age related standard of care that you might find interesting, however you have to register to access that one.

As far as clinical trials, there are certain criteria an individual needs to meet depending on the trial (other health conditions). Also, there is a scale of well being, mobility that is called the ECOG performance status oncologists use to determine qualification for clinical trials:
http://ecog-acrin.org/resources/ecog-performance-status
According to one of our members here, a person cannot be rated beyond a "2" (just for future reference).

The NCCN Guidelines, ECOG performance status, Clinical Trial links are accessible through our "sticky thread" Clinical Trials & Other Important Links.

I can't say whether Vectibix would exclude your dad from a clinical trial, however the new immunotherapy such as PD1 used in trials may exclude/limit a person from other trials (my understanding from what I've read on CT). I'm thinking since Vectibix is considered a standard of care targeted therapy, that it would not.

Am I remembering correctly that your dad also had some stable lesions + slight growth on FOLFIRI, thus the switch to FOLFOX? If also now happening on FOLFOX then sounds like his onc pulling some more tricks out of his hat for a different approach.

Best Wishes to the mother of the bride!

BS
DSS,35YO,unresect mCRC DX 7/'14,lvr,LN,peri,rib
FOLFOX+Avstn 4 Rnds d/c 10/'14
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14
Gone From My Sight 2/20/15
Me:garden variety polyps + precancerous polyp, diverticulitis
Carergver x2 DH,DM dbl occupancy,'03-'10
DH dx 47YO mCRC,'04-'07, lvr, billiary tree fried x HAI
DM dx CC 85YO,CC,CHF,stroke,dementia,aphasia

canadiandaughter

Postby canadiandaughter » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:34 pm

Thank Lois for your response. I will check out all the links you posted.
Yes, dad had the stable and then slight growth on folfiri thus the switch to folfox.
Mom had him go to get his feet done yesterday and is working on getting his skin in better condition for vectibix. His arms are so dry and look awful but his hands and feet are soft as a babies butt right now, so I have warned her to watch them like a hawk once he starts his treatment. WIth his diabetes, I am very fearful of what the outcome might be, so we figure if we are proactive it might help. He is just loving the fact that he will not see the cancer clinic for a few weeks. Just the change in mood is enough to let us know we are headed in the right direction. I hope you are right Lois and this doc knows what he is doing. It is so hard to trust after reading some of the stories on here and knowing we really do not have a choice for my dad. This doctor is close, so way less traveling for dad. To go to a larger center would be hard on him. I am off to read your links!!! Especially interested in the age related one. Thanks again my friend!!
DD to 81 year old father
shrinkage of all mets
At peace January 8, 2017

ronnieciao

Postby ronnieciao » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:56 pm

Vectibix (Panatumumab) is a EFGR inhibitor, like Erbitux. I believe they are essentially the same, just manufactured by different pharmaceuticals. It won't preclude any immutherapy trials.

My mother was on it for nearly 18 months before it stopped being effective. Side effects were manageable a part from some terrible nail infections, but it's surely subjective.
DD of Mum, 53
Diagnosed CC Stage IVb, October 2014
Mets to liver, peri, ovaries, bones
Folfox + Panitumumab
5fu+Panitumumab
Folfiri + Avastin
Cetuximab monotherapy
Immunotherapy: Tecenriq (Atezolizumab) single agent trial: failed
Left us Feb 2017

canadiandaughter

Postby canadiandaughter » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:49 pm

Ronnieciao, from your signature it appears that your mom was on it with folfox, or was she on it alone at any time?
DD to 81 year old father
shrinkage of all mets
At peace January 8, 2017

ronnieciao

Postby ronnieciao » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:33 am

canadiandaughter wrote:Ronnieciao, from your signature it appears that your mom was on it with folfox, or was she on it alone at any time?

She took Vectibix both with Folfox and just with 5FU afterwards.
DD of Mum, 53
Diagnosed CC Stage IVb, October 2014
Mets to liver, peri, ovaries, bones
Folfox + Panitumumab
5fu+Panitumumab
Folfiri + Avastin
Cetuximab monotherapy
Immunotherapy: Tecenriq (Atezolizumab) single agent trial: failed
Left us Feb 2017

canadiandaughter

Postby canadiandaughter » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:07 am

Ok, thank you. They are putting dad on the vectibix alone. No folfox for folfiri.
DD to 81 year old father
shrinkage of all mets
At peace January 8, 2017

Pita

Postby Pita » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:17 pm

I was on Erbitux (Cetuximab) (similar to Vectibix) combined with folfox. Rash got the best of me and Onc tried full day chemo every other week with Folfox only, then Eribtux the other week at a much lower potency for a few hours, eventually had to stop due to side effects.

My best to your (((Dad))) and you are a wonderful caretaker! Hope all have fun at the wedding.
70yo Fem DX: 1/21/2016 RC Stage IV-Nodules lungs
MSS-Kras Wild-Lynch Synd Neg-Lung Biopsy 1/27/16-Port 2/19/16
MRI 7/7/16 Endometrial polyp found, watching LAR 7/19/16, No Ileostomy, Stage ypT3 N1
CT 11/7/16: Most mets stable,1 shrunk,1 new??
CEA Tests: 1/21/16=20, 12/22/16=5.3, 1/20/17=4.8, 2/15/17=6.2
9/20/16-1/24/17 Folfuri & Avastin
#10/10 Done
PET/CT 2/10/16-1/31/17=Some shrunk & growth to 2, Avastin failing ??? :evil:
2/21/17 Folfuri & Avastin

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”