Charity Bike Ride in Las Vegas! Please Read This!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
bluemarlinchef24

Charity Bike Ride in Las Vegas! Please Read This!

Postby bluemarlinchef24 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:38 pm

Hey everyone!

I have been sick with Sever Ulcerative Colitis for the past 3.5 years. It has been a very, very rough time in my life. Like most of you, I have been through alot.

I have spent a large portion of my own money for medical treatment since I do not have health insurance.
I have been thinking alot lately about starting a Non-Profit Organization for people with IBD & Colon Cancer.
Since I have Ulcerative Colitis (UC) my chances of getting Colon Cancer have been raised dramatically. That is a scary thought for me.

I am sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Lately I have been very proactive in trying to cure myself of this illness through dietary and lifestyle changes. I have been eating better and exercising alot. I feel a little better but realize that it could take many months before I can see results and even attribute those results to the changes I have made!
I remain optimistic that I will get better even though "they" say that there is NO CURE!

The standard treatment of medications have not helped me. That is the reason that I have chosen to try a different approach to heal my body.

I am thinking of doing a 30 to 50 mile bike ride to raise money for the Non-Profit Organization.
The money would go towards growing the Org as well as providing money for research and to find a cure.

It will be similar to what Molly did on Rollerblades but on a much smaller scale. The idea remains similar though.

Perhaps a monetary donation per mile will be the way I will do it.

Since my health is not optimal, I will need time to prepare and to see how long I will be able to ride.
I plan to ride in Las Vegas where I am living now.
It would be in a few months when it is cooler. =)

I want to find out if any of you would be interested in donating to this cause. It would mean alot to me as well as those we can help.

The money would go towards research to find a cure for IBD & Colon Cancer. I will also donate a portion of the funds to The Colon Club.
I really admire what Molly has done.

I never thought that I would do something like this but an illness has a funny way of changing people...for the better!

If any of you have questions let me know.

Also, if there is anyone in the Las Vegas area who might be interested in helping me with the Bike Ride as well as the Non-Profit Org please let me know.

You can email me at: bluemarlinchef24@gmail.com

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Oskar "Charlie" VanKirk

Molly
Site Admin

Postby Molly » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:01 am

Hey Charlie-

Please understand that we can't have people asking for donations on the message board.

Also...if you haven't seen it yet, check out teh Get Your Guts in Gear Ride for Crohn's & Colitis! It's awesome! I think I'm going to be doing the one from NYC to Saratoga Springs next spring,

http://www.ibdride.org/

bluemarlinchef24

Postby bluemarlinchef24 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:12 pm

I'm sorry Molly.... I did not realize that. Won't happen again.

I know about the Get Your Guts in Gear ride and want to do it but it is kinda far for me.

I really want this first ride to be a small one to test out the water. I want to focus on people in my city and region since there are no activities going on here with regards to IBD & Colon Cancer. There aren't any support groups here which I find troubling.

I have a couple local bike shops that have expressed interest as sponsors which is exciting and I have some friends and family that would join me for a few miles. The first few days have yielded some positive feedback.

Sorry again....

Take Care

Regards,

Charlie

Molly
Site Admin

Postby Molly » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:15 pm

Charlie, you should totally go for it! Sounds like it will be awesome!!!!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”