Metamucil for LAR syndrome

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
chrisca

Metamucil for LAR syndrome

Postby chrisca » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:51 am

After reading some reports here, I decided to try Metamucil again for LAR syndrome. It's not a miracle, but it did provide some help. My primary complaint is long BM times and it didn't do much for that. But it seems to have reduced the number of times per day from three down to two. It also increased the caliber of the stools and usually reduces the fragmentation by a small amount, maybe ten percent. It also improved the stool consistency, so that I hardly have any more rectal bleeding. Hemorrhoid irritation is also reduced significantly. I can also eat foods that I used to have enough of a sensitivity to that I avoided them in the past. I can eat strawberries now! Also beans and I can tolerate more spices.

I take about 1 level tablespoon after breakfast and dinner. It can be mixed with fruit juice or a little Tang to improve flavor. Metamucil has a "smooth" version that's finely ground and it works the best for me. Nutrition centers at Kroger and other major market chains also have a powdered psyllium seed product in the bulk section that costs less and is the same thing. The whole seed didn't work for me; it was too scratchy. Stick with the powder.

The dosing is a bit of an art. I mix the powder with about six ounces of water at the end of the meal. I found that drinking a large amount of fluid during the meal would intensify the effect and make it more of a laxative, almost emptying the colon in the middle of the night if I had a lot of liquids at dinner. If I need a lot of fluid due to hot weather or exercise, I reduce the dose about half and it helps. If I'm eating out, I take a small container to the restaurant and mix it up in the water glass.

When first starting it, I had some gas and the effect was less predictable. There was some minor pain at BM time and I think it was partly from stretching of the neorectum area as the stool caliber increased. That's gone away now. But after finding the right dose and sticking with it, the results are worth it and I've been using it about three months now. So if you're starting it and it's not working right, keep it up and try reducing the dose until it's tolerated and producing some benefit. From there, tinker with the dose, water amount, and timing to see what works best.
Male, false negative colonoscopy age 48
DX: 12/2010 rectal cancer age 51
Stage T3N0M0 2 cm from anal verge
neoadjuvant rad/chemo Xeloda
Rectal resection (open surgery) straight anastomosis
Xeloda round 2
ileostomy reversal 11/2011
Successful adhesion X-lap 8/2013
Ongoing LAR syndrome but NED 10 years

AbbyDoo

Re: Metamucil for LAR syndrome

Postby AbbyDoo » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:59 pm

Congratulations on the 5 year Ned....
Thanks for the tip on Metamucil. Your only going 2 or 3 times a day that's great I wish I could say that.
I'm about 7 week out from my reversal and it's been a hard road so far. Some days I think it would be easier to have the bag back but then I remember how much I hated it. I think I jumped off the bland food to fast and have been paying for it.butt things are getting better. Instead of 20 to 30 times a day I'm down to 10 or 12 on a bad day.
I think our doctors are dropping the ball after our reversal surgeries. I was told no diet restrictions eat whatever. Ya right try that a see what happens it's a pretty shitty experience. For me I'm going back to bland food and will speak to Dr. About adding Metamucil
53 yrs old
4/30/15 colonoscopy Mass found
5/21/15 staged 3 C rectal cancer
7/3/15 finished xeloda and radiation 28 rounds
9/30/15 LAR
10/29/15 picc line installed
11/2/15 start chemo 5 fu Oxaliplatin
3/7/16 Finish Chemo
4/29/16 Ileostomy Reversal.
7/13/16 colonoscopy clear.
CRC survivors know there Sh%t

Dave Hudson
Facebook Username: Dave Hudson

Postby Dave Hudson » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:31 pm

I agree with you AbbyDo, I was discharged from the hospital without any real information about LAR syndrome or any of the potential difficulties and was told,like you were, that I could "eat anything" which we know is not so. Luckily I had some good information from this site and knew what to expect.
Rectal Cancer 45 yo M - diagnosed July 2, 2015
Chemoradiotherapy with oral Capcetabine - July 20 - August 27, 2015
Laprascopic assisted low anterior resection and ileostomy - October 22, 2015
Path report - T3N1bM0, 2/31 lymph nodes positive + vascular invasion Stage IIIc- October 30,2015
Chest port insertion Dec 1/15, start 4 months FOLFOX on a 2 week cycle - December 3, 2015 -March 19,2016
Ileostomy reversal surgery - May 30, 2016
CT scan clear NED - July 6, 2016
Colonoscopy clear - October 22, 2016

Buckeye

Postby Buckeye » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:32 pm

I have been using Metamucil for 5 months now. I take it one time a day, after I finish my dinner. It has worked great for me. I will caution anyone trying Metamucil to buy the SUGAR FREE option. I was told by my colorectal surgeon that the combination of sugar and fiber creates gas. I know this to be true, because I didn't believe him and had some with the sugar at home. Big mistake.. I didn't know if I had to poop or pass gas . Very uncomfortable .
Dx 10/20/15 stage 1 T1N0M0 1.3cmx1.1cmx1cm low grade ( well to moderately differentiated) Rectal cancer age 47
Loving Husband and father of two girls age 19 & 15 Sole income provider
CEA <0.5
CT, MRI and PET show no metastatic spread
LAR Laparoscopic TME 11/30/15 with Illo
Pathology clean no lymph node or vascular involvement. Confirmed Stage1
No chemo/rad cancer free now and forever.
Illo reversal 01/26/16

Ehut

Postby Ehut » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:23 pm

FYI, psyllium fiber is also available in capsule form. That resolves the issue of the "grittiness" or high sugar content. I take 5 capsules before bed every night.
Dx 12/11 rectal stage IV w/ 6 mets to liver, age 35
4 cycles FOLFOX 12/11 to 2/12
short course radiation 2/12
rectal/liver resection 3/12, temp ileostomy
8 cycles FOLFOX/FOLFIRI 4/12 to 8/12
ileostomy reversal 10/12
port out 10/13
1/17: Added daughter to family!
12/19: Added son to family!
NED for 11+ years and counting!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”