Question on severe abdominal cramps

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ronswife

Question on severe abdominal cramps

Postby ronswife » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:56 pm

Hello,

In about every third BM, Ron has severe cramps and passes lumpy stools. I was wondering if this could be due to his surgery on 3/31 to remove the tumor at the junction of the small and large intestines. Could there be adhesions inside that are causing this?

Could it be the chemo? We are trying to understand this. We will ask the onc at the next visit next week.

I just thought someone else on this forum could have experienced this.

Thanks Much!

:?: :(
Husband Ron diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer on 3/15/16, right after first colonoscopy at age 68. Had surgery to remove tumor on 3/31/16. Many mets on top and bottom of liver that are not resectable. Started chemo 4/28/16 using Fluorouracil (5-FU) and Irinotecan. Started Erbitux 5/26 on third chemo. Had very good results on 7/14 CT scan!! Treated with Avastin and Capecitabine 8/4/16. CT on 10/18 showed cancer growth. Now on FOLFOX. Placed in Hospice in early December and passed away 12/29/16.

mypinkheaven
Facebook Username: Sally Cunningham

Re: Question on severe abdominal cramps

Postby mypinkheaven » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:53 pm

I still get pain in a few different areas when my colon cramps from diarrhea of lumpy stools - the pain is from adhesions and will subside as the stools moves. Of course, this is made more difficult for your husband because the chemo is probably causing the loose stools. Does he feel better if he eats a lower fiber diet?
MSS, KRAS Wild NRAS Mutated
9/2012 CRC IIB Lft Colectomy 0 lymph nodes 0 Chemo
10/2013 CT clear
11/15 CEA 2.7 to 4.6
11/15 Spread to uterus. Hysterectomy
2/16 Pelvic radiation 25, brachytherapy 3
4/16 - 6/16 Xeloda
6/16 CT Several lung nodules 5 mm
8/16 CT Nodules still present. Most stable. Some growth
11/16 Transfer to UCSD Moores
12/16 Folfox + Avastin failed
2/17 Folfiri + Erbitux
8/17 5FU+Erbitux No 5FU bolus
7/18 Spread to vagina
6/18 Folfiri + Avastin + Trametinib
6/18 CEA dropping

Jachut
Facebook Username: hutchinson@aanet.com.au

Postby Jachut » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:20 pm

I have a colostomy but very bowel movement i have is somewhat painful. I know I have adhesions in there which occasionally cause quite severe pain if I have a particularly large or solid bm, but most of the time i have half an hour or so of cramping before I go. I also tend to still get a lot of tenesmus when I have a bowel movement even though there is no action at that end.

ronswife

Postby ronswife » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:05 pm

mypinkheaven wrote:I still get pain in a few different areas when my colon cramps from diarrhea of lumpy stools - the pain is from adhesions and will subside as the stools moves. Of course, this is made more difficult for your husband because the chemo is probably causing the loose stools. Does he feel better if he eats a lower fiber diet?

Thanks SO much mypinkheaven! This is just what I suspected! I just wonder now HOW LONG it will take for these adhesions to finally resolve?

And yes, he does much better with a low fiber diet for a few days after chemo!

:)
Husband Ron diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer on 3/15/16, right after first colonoscopy at age 68. Had surgery to remove tumor on 3/31/16. Many mets on top and bottom of liver that are not resectable. Started chemo 4/28/16 using Fluorouracil (5-FU) and Irinotecan. Started Erbitux 5/26 on third chemo. Had very good results on 7/14 CT scan!! Treated with Avastin and Capecitabine 8/4/16. CT on 10/18 showed cancer growth. Now on FOLFOX. Placed in Hospice in early December and passed away 12/29/16.

ronswife

Postby ronswife » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:10 pm

Jachut wrote:I have a colostomy but very bowel movement i have is somewhat painful. I know I have adhesions in there which occasionally cause quite severe pain if I have a particularly large or solid bm, but most of the time i have half an hour or so of cramping before I go. I also tend to still get a lot of tenesmus when I have a bowel movement even though there is no action at that end.

Hi Jachut,

May I ask what tenesmus is??

Thanks!

:?:

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:39 pm

Jachut wrote:I have a colostomy but very bowel movement i have is somewhat painful. I know I have adhesions in there which occasionally cause quite severe pain if I have a particularly large or solid bm, but most of the time i have half an hour or so of cramping before I go. I also tend to still get a lot of tenesmus when I have a bowel movement even though there is no action at that end.

unfortunately adhesions don't go away. Adhesion are scar tissue, which is permanent.
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

mypinkheaven
Facebook Username: Sally Cunningham

Postby mypinkheaven » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:52 pm

ronswife wrote:[
May I ask what tenesmus is??
:?:

Tenesmus is the feeling of having to have a bowel movement even though no stool is in the rectum.
MSS, KRAS Wild NRAS Mutated
9/2012 CRC IIB Lft Colectomy 0 lymph nodes 0 Chemo
10/2013 CT clear
11/15 CEA 2.7 to 4.6
11/15 Spread to uterus. Hysterectomy
2/16 Pelvic radiation 25, brachytherapy 3
4/16 - 6/16 Xeloda
6/16 CT Several lung nodules 5 mm
8/16 CT Nodules still present. Most stable. Some growth
11/16 Transfer to UCSD Moores
12/16 Folfox + Avastin failed
2/17 Folfiri + Erbitux
8/17 5FU+Erbitux No 5FU bolus
7/18 Spread to vagina
6/18 Folfiri + Avastin + Trametinib
6/18 CEA dropping

ronswife

Postby ronswife » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:36 pm

Thanks mypink!

Bev G, OMG!! So NOTHING can be done about the adhesions??!!

:?: :)

Jachut
Facebook Username: hutchinson@aanet.com.au

Postby Jachut » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:38 pm

Occasionally adhesions have to be treated surgically because they are causing an obstruction but most often, more adhesions form as a result of the adhesion surgery. Hopefully though, they won't form an obstruction the second time. Some people are more prone than others.

Rectal tenesmus is indeed the feeling of needing to go when your rectum is empty but it can be very severe. It was my main symptom soon before diagnosis and it was worse than labour - full on cold sweats and I even passed out once, it was so overwhelming and painful. Now for me I just have to go and sit on the loo because its so authentic, even though I've had a colosotomy for over two years I cannot believe that I am not going to poop, and I just have to push. Its unpleasant but I just live with it and to be honest, I'd still rather be in the bathroom when my colostomy springs into gear than say, in the kitchen cooking.

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:19 am

Jachut wrote:Occasionally adhesions have to be treated surgically because they are causing an obstruction but most often, more adhesions form as a result of the adhesion surgery. Hopefully though, they won't form an obstruction the second time. Some people are more prone than others.

Rectal tenesmus is indeed the feeling of needing to go when your rectum is empty but it can be very severe. It was my main symptom soon before diagnosis and it was worse than labour - full on cold sweats and I even passed out once, it was so overwhelming and painful. Now for me I just have to go and sit on the loo because its so authentic, even though I've had a colosotomy for over two years I cannot believe that I am not going to poop, and I just have to push. Its unpleasant but I just live with it and to be honest, I'd still rather be in the bathroom when my colostomy springs into gear than say, in the kitchen cooking.

I currently don't have that issue, but did for quite some time previously. It is aweful, you would swear you had to go and many times my body would push for me involuntarily. It felt like my intestines were going to come out! One of the worst pains I remember. I felt like I was going to die from the pain or do some serious damage. I never passed out tho, felt like I was gonna.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”