People Minimalize What Is Happening to Me

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
mike1965

Re: People Minimalize What Is Happening to Me

Postby mike1965 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:20 am

You are not overreacting. Cancer is evil. You should not feel bad about doing the surgery. You felt it was the best chance to get healthy. People should never underestimate cancer. It is sneaky and deadly. If you look at my signature I was passive at first with my treatment. My first surgeon told me to do wait and see. As you can see I did it for a few months but it was not the correct move. When I did have the Colon resection. The cancer was there and on the move. I want from Stage 1 to Stage 3A very quickly. I am now being as aggressive as I can be now in my treatment with 12 rounds of Folfox. People do say stupid things because they do not understand. Be strong. I pray all goes well for you.
Colonoscopy 09/06/15 Doctor removed polyp
DX - Rectal cancer 09/10/2015 T1M0N0
Surgeon recommended wait and see approach 09/2015
Tumor board recommended LARs Surgery 10/2015
Oncologist and PCP recommended LARs Surgery 11/2015
Seeking 2nd opinion from another Surgeon 01/2016
Having Sigmoidscopy on 02/01/16.
Figured out treatment 02/2016
LARS Surgery 03/2016
Stage 3A T1 N1C M0
Chemo Folfox to begin 04/18/16

mypinkheaven
Facebook Username: Sally Cunningham

Postby mypinkheaven » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:38 pm

Good luck with the biopsy results!!

One good thing about people who say stupid things about cancer, they tend to drop off. I have friends and relatives that rarely contact me any more. It's OK with me, most of the conversations revolved around the "problems" they were having and I ended up giving them comfort and advice. "Yeah, you're better off without the ex-wife who claims to have been abducted by aliens." :mrgreen:
MSS, KRAS Wild NRAS Mutated
9/2012 CRC IIB Lft Colectomy 0 lymph nodes 0 Chemo
10/2013 CT clear
11/15 CEA 2.7 to 4.6
11/15 Spread to uterus. Hysterectomy
2/16 Pelvic radiation 25, brachytherapy 3
4/16 - 6/16 Xeloda
6/16 CT Several lung nodules 5 mm
8/16 CT Nodules still present. Most stable. Some growth
11/16 Transfer to UCSD Moores
12/16 Folfox + Avastin failed
2/17 Folfiri + Erbitux
8/17 5FU+Erbitux No 5FU bolus
7/18 Spread to vagina
6/18 Folfiri + Avastin + Trametinib
6/18 CEA dropping

Newmol

Postby Newmol » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:30 pm

Thanks to all who replied for their support, prayers, and hugs. I got a great biopsy report from my doctor today with good news. The margins and 39 lymph nodes tested negative. Now I can concentrate on recovering from the surgery. I feel blessed and thankful.
Routine colonoscopy 4/19/16 tubulovilois adenoma partially removed piecemeal - high grade dysplasia
Follow-up colonoscop 5/11/16 partial removal of remnants - suspicion of intra mucosal carcinoma
Right Hemicolectomy 6/7/16 margins and 39 lymph nodes - negative

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:58 pm

That is wonderful! :D Yes just focus on recovering and relaxing.*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

LSkiba

Postby LSkiba » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:15 pm

I am late to this discussion but figured I'd put in my thougths.

Last year my GI Doc found cancer in a biopsy he took trying to figure out why my UC was uncontrolled. It didn't look like much to him and I had a colonoscopy a year before due to my UC and nothing was found then. Thought it was small, get a resection and I'll be fine. Had surgery, the tumor wasn't huge at 2.3cm but 12 out of 228 lymp nodes were involved putting me in Stage 3c, bring on the chemo. Went to the best in the area(MD Anderson), didn't worry coasted through treatment... First CT Scan post chemo, bam... Is that a liver cyst or a met? I coasted the whole time, I feel like now its real and its breathing down my neck... I am frantically scrambling to catch up. I wish I had reacted as you are. Seemed so small and now its making me wonder if I'll see my 45th birthday.

In telling people about my cancer I found they reacted one of 4 ways.

1 - they understood where I stand, usually because they had gone through cancer themselves or helped someone close to them get through it.
2 - They didn't understand, some would want to hear more, some I could tell did not want to hear more. Some wanted detailed infomration about how my surgery went, others just wanted to hear that treatments were going well.
3 - They were in complete denial or wanted to minimize the situation to make me feel better. OH you're too young, you look too healthy. They caught it early and you'll be fine.
4 - Very small percentage reacted as if I had just told them I had ebola... I could tell being around me made them feel uncomfortable and they avoided talking to me completely.

Everyone reacts differently and I really believe they don't mean anything personal they are just dealing with information that is terrible and everyone reacts differently.
38/M
DX UC 6/11 - had since 15
DX Colon Cancer @ colonoscopy 8/15 - Cecum - poor diff invasive adenocarcinoma
CT 8/2015 - Liver cysts present(some <1cm)
Ttl Colectomy 9/22/15 - 12/228 lymph nodes, tumor 2.3 x 1.1 x 0.8 cm
MD Anderson Stage 3c
CT - 11/4/15 - negative change
Begin Chemo 5-FU + Oxl 11/4/15
Cmpl Chemo as started 4/6/16
Follow up - 6/9/16 - CEA 0.5 - CT - Several presumed liver cyst growth(still <1cm) No positive cancer, cant rule out.

Natural Woman
Facebook Username: CYNTHIA SHORT

Postby Natural Woman » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:02 pm

You are NOT minimizing this! Unless people have been in your shoes, they have no idea what you are going through.
I had a right hemicolectomy 3 1/2 months ago for what turned out to be adenocarcinoma in my cecum. Luckily, it was staged 2A with clear margins and all 28 removed lymph nodes were clear. I did not need chemo.
No one in my life understands why I still can't sleep, get anxiety attacks, and cry at the drop of a hat. Why I exercise like crazy and am doing total clean, organic eating. (Trying to be a normal weight and not ingest anything to cause the cancer to return.)
I also realize that people are afraid of cancer, don't know what to say when someone is diagnosed, and they want to sweep it under the carpet and go on.
Your joining this support group is a great first step. You will have others who DO know what you are going through and can help you, or just be a willing and caring ear. I am one.
Please pm me anytime.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”