Michigan Support Groups?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
mostlysunny77

Michigan Support Groups?

Postby mostlysunny77 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:47 am

I am wondering if anyone knows of any support groups in Michigan? I have come across a few but they are quite far from me and are not colon cancer specific. I have been looking for others in Michigan who have been through a similar experience who would like to share their ideas, stories and information and possibly meet once in a while or maybe just start a fb group. It would be nice to get information on doctors in our area and other things that may help. Hoping to find some Michiganders out there! :)
"Scars are badges of courage and make you look like a pirate or a superhero." - quote from a 5 year old cancer patient.

5cm Tumor in Sigmoid Colon
Laparoscopic Sigmoid Colectomy - March 2016
Stage II Colon Cancer

spinnz
Facebook Username: Diana Wiseley

Re: Michigan Support Groups?

Postby spinnz » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:23 pm

I don't know of any, but would be willing to travel to meet others in southern Michigan or northwest Ohio. I pm'd you.
Dx age 53 10/8/15
Lap/robotic converted to open sigmoid colectomy, partial small-bowel resection and right salpingo-oophorectomy 10-9-15
CRC stage 3b, T3N1aM0
Margins clear of malignancy
1/27 lymph nodes
Well differentiated
CAT / MRI's indicate NED
FOLFOX + Neulasta- 2 rounds 11/15
Xeloda, 1 week on 1 week off 1/16- 5/16
1/5/16 CEA 1.0, 5/16, 1.0
Factor 13-bleeding disorder
NEW DX
11/15/18 IDC

Fishrick

Postby Fishrick » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:18 pm

I'm in algonac and have colon cancer, I had surgery first to remove a 10 cm tumor but the pathology came back one out of 20 had cancer, so now I start chemo and radiation on June 27th, for 6 weeks. And then they want me to do chemo for 6 months. I'd be willing to talk about me and or listen to anyone else .

mostlysunny77

Postby mostlysunny77 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:07 pm

Thank you so much for responding fishrick! I am really surprised that I have not found more people here from Michigan so far. I am in Metamora, Michigan which is a little over an hour northwest from you. I have also been in touch with a cancer center in Flint that may be able to put me in contact with others with similar stories. I am currently working on it and will let you know if I am able to come up with anything. I was pretty shell shocked to find out that I had colon cancer at 46! I ate pretty well, exercised a lot and had no family history. I am at the 3 month mark from my laparoscopic sigmoid colectomy after a 5 cm tumor was found. I am sorry to hear that you have radiation and chemo treatments coming up. I will be sending well wishes and prayers your way. I also guessed that you must like fishing by your name and think Algonac must be the perfect place to live for that.
Diane:)
"Scars are badges of courage and make you look like a pirate or a superhero." - quote from a 5 year old cancer patient.

Stage II Colon Cancer

Fishrick

Postby Fishrick » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:12 am

Hi Diane, my name is rick, I made a mistake on the size of my tumor it was 4 cm or 2". It was 10 cm in. I'm 59, married and my father and grandfather on mothers side both had cancer. I wish you well with your treatment and you'll be in my prayers. I'm seeing Dr Alame (surgeon), Dr Agnone (oncologist) and Dr Aref (radiologist) all out of st johns. I do like to fish, but it's also my name.

Fishrick

Postby Fishrick » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:33 am

Diane I thought of something that might help you or anyone else, I started a website at mylifeline.com, it was hard for me to contact over 40 friends and family by text or phone to give them update's on me, so I made the website Sent them all a invite, they register as a guest and get all email updates on me and leave comments, we can still call each other and cry and laugh. It's just easier on me to update them.

GrouseMan

Postby GrouseMan » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:05 am

There are others of us from Michigan. We are near Brighton. But my wife is not the sharing type. Never has been even before her diagnosis. Its hard to gauge how she feels about things most of the time. She is pretty much ignoring the fact that she is Stage IVb CC and continues to live her life as best she can as thought she doesn't have colon cancer. So far her Chemo for life has been pretty tolerable, and her oncologist is happy with her treatment as it seems things are again stable and CEA is going back down again after they discovered abdominal mets, and changed her chemo.

A woman named Vicky was here on Colon Talk for a while who I believe lived in the Ann Arbor Area. She lost her husband to CC. And I have seen other people indicate they are in Michigan, but many come and go. I should think that there might be a cancer support group of some kind in Port Huron (Fishrick), or in Flint (MostlySunny77). Do you talk to any of your fellow patients when at the clinic? Talk to your Oncology Nurses, they often know of some groups. Even the Chaplain. At my wifes clinic therapy dogs come in from time to time, and the chaplain comes through and talks with everyone, even those like my wife that are not religious. They are usually not the pushy sorts, and very likely also have knowledge about some support groups. Maybe not specific to Colon Cancer but maybe something that might help.

Regards,

GrouseMan
DW 53 dx Jun 2013
CT mets Liver Spleen lung. IVb CEA~110
Jul 2013 Sig Resct
8/13 FolFox,Avastin 12Tx mild sfx, Ongoing 5-FU Avastin every 3 wks.
CEA: good marker
7/7/14 CT Can't see the spleen Mets.
8/16/15 CEA Up, CT new abdominal mets. Iri, 5-FU, Avastin every 2 wks.
1/16 Iri, Erbitux and likely Avastin (Trial) CEA going >.
1/17 CEA up again dropped from Trial, Mets growth 4-6 mm in abdomen
5/2/17 Failed second trial, Hospitalized 15 days 5/11. Home Hospice 5/26, at peace 6/4/2017

Momto5boyz

Postby Momto5boyz » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:49 am

Hi all Michiganders,

I am from Almont, MI.

I have never seen or found anything in this area as far as support groups. Let me know if you need my help getting something started or just want to chat. :)
12/14/13. Went to ER for stomach cramps :stage 4A colon cancer.
12/15/13 Had large tumor removed from colon and colostomy.
1/14 port put in
2/14 FOLFOX with Avastin 12 cycles.
8/25/14 liver res.
10/14 liver radiation/ Xeloda.
11/14 liver ablation
12/14 CEA rising to 7.2 from 2.4. ctscan shows positive cancer cells near ablation site and margin.
2/15 12 cycles of FOLFIRI with erbitux
7/15 CEA 1.4 ctscan shows stable with no progression.
8/15 CEA 1.4. Reversal scheduled for 9/10/15

Val*pal
Facebook Username: Valerie Barkus Kantner

Postby Val*pal » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:25 pm

As Grouseman mentioned, I was active on this site while my husband received treatment for his stage IVb colon cancer at the University of Michigan Cancer Center. Unfortunately, he passed away two years ago. I still check in occasionally to see how everyone is doing. Since I'm in the Canton area of Michigan, I am not close to the rest of you Michiganders, and I'm not sure you want a former caregiver in the group.

No one is ever the same after a cancer diagnosis, including the family members. I remain acutely aware of the challenges for colon cancer patients and continue to hope and pray that a cure or an effective treatment is discovered soon. Though I sometimes have to take mental breaks from the topic, I still read a lot about the disease. I have never lost the sense of disbelief that not more is being done in terms of research. Cancer affects so many people and has a ripple effect around anyone associated with the cancer patient.

I still find it unreal that Danny is gone and had cancer. I know we're all blissfully naive pre-diagnosis, but I never thought something like could happen to him. But, of course, it can.

I'm doing well. I know that Danny would demand that I enjoy the rest of my life, and I am trying to do so. As trite as it is, the saying that every day is a gift is spot on.

Regards to all.
DH dx'ed May '11, age 62
Jul '11: resection Stage IV
10/11: 6 mo Folfox
8/12:thyr canc, surg/tx
2/13: peri mets
2/13: Firi/Avas
6/13: Ok
8/13: break
10/13: Lung, peri, mets
10/13: Firi/Erb
1/14: Erb Fail; spread
5/14: Tx stopped
6/20/14: At rest

mostlysunny77

Postby mostlysunny77 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:45 am

grouseman Thank you for responding! I am happy to hear that your wife's CEA is trending down. That is good news! I am thinking of starting a closed FB group that is Michigan colon cancer specific where we could share info. and possibly dr. recommendations or ones to avoid on that page. If I get one going I will let you know. You could join and then decide whether or not you would like to participate.

woumomto5boyz I would love to chat more if you are interested. I'm not sure of the best way to do this? Maybe just through private message?

Best regards,
Diane

Stage II Colon Cancer

mostlysunny77

Postby mostlysunny77 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:52 am

Val pal I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Cancer really does affect everyone including family members, friends, caregivers...everyone. I am trying to gage interest and then will look into starting a fb group or something like this. You would be very welcome to join if I can get something going.

Best regards,
Diane

Stage II Colon Cancer

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”