Elevated CEA after ileostomy reversal and colonoscopy

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Morgan011
Facebook Username: Morgan011

Elevated CEA after ileostomy reversal and colonoscopy

Postby Morgan011 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:29 am

Hello everyone.

Ok so first the history on my dad, sorry if some is a bit vague, he was diagnosed 2 years ago 06/2014 with a 5cm tumour in his colon. He has radiation and chemotherapy to shrink the tumour and day of surgery they told him that his tumour had completely disappeared but that due to the initial size they wanted to operate. So they removed a foot of his bowel and 20 lymph nodes, 3 of which came back with cancer cells and so then began 6 months of chemo to hopefully 'mop' up remaining cells.

CT scans Oct 2015 all clear. He had his ileostomy reversal in Feb this year (2016) and was very unwell after it which wasn't really explained so we weren't that prepared. I think both he and my mum thought that was the final stage in a long journey and then all would go back to normal, well not normal but better.

3 months after ileostomy reversal he was feeling much better, appetite not back to normal and still diarrhoea but thats normal right? At 3 months he had a colonoscopy..... which wasn't very successful as he wasn't cleared out enough with the pre meds so they want to repeat. What they did see though said looked good. After colonoscopy he has been very unwell, not really eating, bad stomach pains, we thought maybe he had a blockage which one day resulted in him going to hospital with sever stomach pains. Adhesions..blockage. maybe.

They did his blood work and now it has come back that his CEA has increased from 3.6 in Feb to 7.4. He had a CT scan yesterday so now we wait for results. We are terrified that the cancer has spread. I know a lot has been spoken about possible causes for this but I wondered if anyone has had this occur soon after an ileostomy reversal. Ie could the bowel be inflamed from this and cause this? Could a blockage from adhesions cause a rise in CEA. I am sorry if this subject has been talked over a lot but I'm so scared, and trying to stay strong for my family but I can't help but fear the worst. I have read about colonoscopies can cause diverticulitis etc and it was only after this colonoscopy that he became so ill. Or could recovery from the ileostomy reversal be causing this? Thank you anyone for your input, even if it can't put my mind at ease it just helps to hear from people who have a better understanding of this than me.

Morgan011

Re: Elevated CEA after ileostomy reversal and colonoscopy

Postby Morgan011 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:06 am

Ok update....

My dad got called into hospital yesterday for what we thought was follow up to his CT scan on Monday, and very quick to have the results so we of course were very concerned. He had to stay in overnight and not eat anything as would be having surgery today.

His CT scan has showed a blockage caused by a mass that they think could be the cancer back or scar tissue as it is at the site of where they reattached his bowel from removing a foot of it. We won't know more until the surgeon gets in there.

Hoping they will do larascopic but I guess depends how it goes. He is literally in now being operated on, so i guess coming on here is a way to distract myself some what.

I hope it is just scar tissue but the fact that his CEA was up to 7.4 would suggest otherwise wouldn't it? The surgeon said the blockage could increase his CEA but i don't know if he was just trying to ease our worry until we have answers.

If it is recurrence is that stage 4? If it is not stage 4 is recurrence quite common and what is the prognosis for patients that have had recurrence? Is it likely to just keep coming back and back then?

The surgeon said he will likely have to have a permanent stoma also.....

ams5796

Postby ams5796 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:21 am

This is a lot for you family to be going through. I'll be thinking of you today. Keep us posted.

As you can see from my signature I've had a few recurrences and I'm hanging in there. Many of us on here have had recurrences. See what they say after the surgery.

Ann
Stage 3C (or 4?) Rectal Cancer 01/07
2/10 lung mets
3/11 VATS
6/11 VATS
7/13 lung met
2/14 SBRT
NED 8/14
5/17 scan and MRI found treated spine met

Morgan011

Postby Morgan011 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:59 pm

Thank you Ann

It is promising to know that.Not that I would wish it upon anyone but to know that other people have had recurrences and still continue to fight it and continue on it just helps to hear it.

My dad is out of surgery now and resting thank god. So far all we know is that the surgeon did key hole surgery and he has a stoma again..... he will be disappointed about that but whatever it takes right. Does make me so sad though because he was so excited about his ileostomy reversal in Feb... and now this one is perhaps permanent and also the prospect of being essentially back to square one where we were two years ago when it all began if it turns out to be cancer again and not scar tissue.

We will see the surgeon in the morning so hopefully get more answers then. I will let you know what happens.

Thank you for the support x

Morgan011

Postby Morgan011 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:38 am

Ok so they put in another ileostomy via larascopic surgery and have taken biopsies from his bowl. He's doing well though after the surgery, already eating etc.

He has narrowing on his bowl near where they rejoined it after removing a foot of it two years ago. So they are investigating what is causing the narrowing. Biopsies will take 3-4 weeks for results we think. So now we sit and nervously wait.

O they are also going to do a PET scan and perhaps some other scans.

jhocno197

Postby jhocno197 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:01 am

I am sorry. :(
DH - dx Dec 2014, stage IV with bladder & peritoneal involvement - non-resectable
Colostomy
FOLFOX failed
FOLFIRI failed
Tumor actually distending pelvic skin
Not a candidate for last-ditch pelvic exenteration
Stivarga finally begun 2/19/16
Tumor growing/fungating
Lonsurf started 11/18/16
Died 3/10/17

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”