stage 4 do doctors overlook other treatments?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
scottg

stage 4 do doctors overlook other treatments?

Postby scottg » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:00 pm

I have been wathching and posting for the last 3 months since diognosis of stage 4 colon.We,at later stages are always looking for that "magic treatment " or person who can cure us.This leads to searching and confusion.i have heard of and seen on the net of people who have the treatment cures but live and work in canada , mexico ect,places outside the us because these treatments are not allowed in the us.these people state that the government does not want to cure cancer because big drug companies would lose out .I have also heard of holistic cures and personaly dont believe in any magic cures.I have however been reading of the macrobiotic diet and read a compelling book about a woman who went through many surgeries,years of chemo,reoccurences and was on her death bed with nothing to lose so she tried a strict macrobiotic diet and is now 15 years cancer free.Can anyone tell me of other cases or is this just another case of someone who would have been cured anyway?
I do believe that a reasonably good diet is important for health but the macrobiotic diet is very strict and difficult to follow as with most diets.anyone with info on this particular diet please repond.I know there are many who pray on the desperation of us in this position...I would think that any diet or treatment that worked well would spread like wildfire ,what do you think.?

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:13 pm

I think the macrobiotic diet has some merit, but it is too low calorie for a lot of cancer patients. Most cancer patients have a hard time keeping weight on and need the extra calories. A modified approach to a basic healthy diet sounds good to me.

I doubt if there's a plot to suppress a cancer cure. I was an oncology nurse in a major cancer center for many years and saw doctors, academics, government officials, heads of state, and their loved ones die of cancer. If anyone could have stopped this they would have. 20+ years ago, monocolonal antibodies, such as Avastin and Erbitux were just an idea. Now they're available to treat people like us. Work is being done. HUGE progress has been made in the last 5 years, and more new treatments are in the pipeline. In my day as a nurse, almost no one survived Stage III or IV colon cancer. Now it happens. Oxaliplatin is responsible for a lot of the success. Avastin and Erbitux are wonder drugs. And they're all very new.

Hang in there. There's hope.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”