New here. any advice, extra info - dh agressive stage 4, possible liver surgery

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
angielada

New here. any advice, extra info - dh agressive stage 4, possible liver surgery

Postby angielada » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:34 am

Hi all,
My Dh's stage 3 progressed to stage 4 about 6 months after chemo. In October nothing showed on CT - However, January it had spread lots (5-6 in liver, abdomen, rectal area)
Dr said it was very aggressive and not too much they could do - not resectable.
We started aggressive chemo anyway ( folfiri + avastin) plus i'm injecting him with iskador from Germany 3x a week and naturalist doc put him on strict no carbs, no sugar.

CT scan 3 weeks ago shows lots of shrinkage and a couple spots have disappeared! - So, the onc is taking his case to the board of surgeons this coming friday for possible liver resection!

Any advice on extra stuff we can do? What other options? would liver surgery be worth it?
I haven't looked around much on the forum yet, so sorry if this question is redundant.

Any advice, knowledge, what to expect etc would be greatly appreciated! DH doesn't want to know ANYTHING, so Dr is very vague about most things and I'm getting most my info from the internet.
Wife of stage iv cc
11-20-14: stage iii colon resection
12-20-14: started chemo oxiliplatin xeloda every 3 weeks about 6.5 months i think
9-1-15: ct clear
2-8-16: upgraded to stage iv liver and abdominal mets very aggressive kras mutation positive
2-12-16: start chemo folfiri with avastin
7-28-16: Liver resection
2-10-17: spots back in liver
4-17-17 : radioablation is scheduled
May 17; radioablation
July 17: radioablation
Sept '17: radioablation canceled bc of new spots.
Sept '17: Starting Folfox

midlifemom

Re: New here. any advice, extra info - dh agressive stage 4, possible liver surgery

Postby midlifemom » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:10 am

First suggestion is not to get info from internet. Every one is different.
If dh doesn't want to know - is he ok with you knowing all?
If yes, he can tell doc to discuss details with you when he leaves the room.
Stage 3 cc - dx Jan '14 age 53, cea 2.9
t2n2m0, KRAS mutant, MSS
Folfox Feb - Aug '14
Nov '14 cea 27.7 -2 liver masses
Dec '14 left lobectomy and HAI
Jan '15 FUDR and FOLFIRI
Aug '15 fudr done, liver clear, add avastin for lungs. Cea 4.3
Feb '16 CEA rising
May '16 2 wk break then drop Iri for 6 weeks.
Jul '16 cancer grew, constricted main bile duct. Stent inserted. On break till jaundice clears. CEA climbing. Doing reduced Folfox. Allergic to Oxali.
Sep'16 chemo failed. Trial or hospice?

angielada

Re: New here. any advice, extra info - dh agressive stage 4, possible liver surgery

Postby angielada » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:27 pm

Yes, the doctor knows not to say too much that would scare him and we discuss when he is not around - and that's what he's asked for.
Right now, she believes the folfiri plus avastin is best and she is taking his case to the surgery board to see if liver resection is possible.
Wife of stage iv cc
12-20-14: started chemo oxiliplatin xeloda every 3 weeks about 6.5 months i think
2-8-16: upgraded to stage iv liver and abdominal mets very aggressive kras mutation positive
May 17; radioablation

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:49 pm

As far as surgery. They usually only recommend it for curative intent or to help pain or blockage, etc. You mentioned abdomen, is that still showing or how much involvement?

jhocno197

Postby jhocno197 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:43 am

If he is going to have surgery, have him start taking cimetidine(tagamet) a few days before and a few weeks after surgery. It's been shown to reduce mets that result from surgery for some people. You can do a forum search for cimetidine to find out more.
DH - dx Dec 2014, stage IV with bladder & peritoneal involvement - non-resectable
Colostomy
FOLFOX failed
FOLFIRI failed
Tumor actually distending pelvic skin
Not a candidate for last-ditch pelvic exenteration
Stivarga finally begun 2/19/16
Tumor growing/fungating
Lonsurf started 11/18/16
Died 3/10/17

angielada

Postby angielada » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:57 am

Hi nik. I'm not really sure :/
She originally said liver, abdomen and rectal area.. but was only pointing out the ones in liver this last ct.
I have read that that might make him ineligible for the surgery. ?
I've also read that not many people are considered candidates. Hopefully the board of surgeons will give more info.
Wife of stage iv cc
May 17; radioablation

angielada

Postby angielada » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:59 am

@jhocno197 of thanks for the info!
We do have cemetidine! It was prescribed by his nd, but he hasn't been taking it. I will make sure he does if the surgery is possible
Wife of stage iv cc
May 17; radioablation

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:55 pm

angielada wrote:Hi nik. I'm not really sure :/
She originally said liver, abdomen and rectal area.. but was only pointing out the ones in liver this last ct.
I have read that that might make him ineligible for the surgery. ?
I've also read that not many people are considered candidates. Hopefully the board of surgeons will give more info.

If there is no abdomen spots showing and the liver ones are recetable, then surgery may be available. Just going from what I know. I had liver and colon surgery done together. It depends on how many, where, etc. I only had 2 spots in my liver and they only had to remove 20% of my liver, but I believe they can take up to 80%, but I'm sure it has to due with location, amount, and other factors. I had a couple small spots in my lungs, but i believe they assumed they were not cancer. They did not grow or shink on chemo. Best wishes

ebv60

Postby ebv60 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:54 pm

Angielada: my DW is the same about getting or asking question from the Dr..she wants very little information ...make hard to understand the cancer ..and give almost no update the kids (older out of the house)..I`am thinking of having a meeting with the Dr by myself to ask question??? but really don`t want to go behind her back so to speak ???
to DW 6/12 stage 4
6/12 colon resection, liver Mets
Folfox & Folfiri till 4/13
liver resection Mayo 5/13 Clear margins
mop up chemo
NED till 9/14
cancer complete hysterectomy,
CEA climbing 12/14
1/15 scans, tumors return
1/15 Mayo for surgery; need shrinkage before surgery
Folfiri w Erbitux
break over Christmas, rash from Erbitux
1/16 scan tumors growing, liver, lungs, lymph nodes involvement
Folfiri w Avastin 1/16
Stivarga 6/16
lonsurf 1/17
Scan 6/17 tumors growing.
At peace 7/17

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:27 pm

ebv60 wrote:Angielada: my DW is the same about getting or asking question from the Dr..she wants very little information ...make hard to understand the cancer ..and give almost no update the kids (older out of the house)..I`am thinking of having a meeting with the Dr by myself to ask question??? but really don`t want to go behind her back so to speak ???

Have you asked your wife if she would be ok with that?
I personally would want to know too. Hell, I am and do, but I'm the one with it. Tbh, it would drive me crazy not knowing, whether it be me or not. That's just me.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”