Awaiting Colonospy Date Scared

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
doc1974

Awaiting Colonospy Date Scared

Postby doc1974 » Sun May 22, 2016 3:44 pm

This could be a long story . My mother died of colon cancer in 2000 , at 37 on a routine visit to my GP I mentioned my mother passing . So together we decided to get a baseline colonoscopy . All clear ! Fast forward 16 years later and life gets busy , always in the back of my mind I knew I needed to get back and get another but never did. So now a 51yr old male and working in a hospital assisting surgeons and even working in the colonoscopy department at times assisting with the scopes it vaguely keep entering my mind I should get it done but put it off. Always an IBS sufferer I never worried when my bowl acted up . In February I was on a long course of antibiotics for an unrelated illness . Soon after that has stomach issues just after my morning coffee, some episodes of having to go quickly . Then it turned into ( sorry ) lots of wet gas and and bowl movements that left it hard to wipe.

Under an extreme amount of stress with a family issue I was not sleeping and my anxiety level was through the roof. In March a co - worker mentioned I looked to be loosing weight . I shrugged it off but soon noticed that I was . My pants were fitting looser , and I began thinking about what it could be , not thinking about colon cancer I went to my GP and told him I had a cough and was worried it could be lung cancer because I smoked . I stopped sleeping & eating worried and became very anxiety ridden . GP did chest xray , CBB & aliver panel . All came back clear and said I had a smoker's cough . Feeling relived at first but then back to wondering why my weight had dropped ( by this time 20 lbs) . Everyone said it's just stress I was sure it was not. I decided to start taken a probiotic to help with the gas and wet stools . Within a week of taken the probiotics I was very gassy , burping , passing gas and heartburn . I had always had a gerd problem but this was much worse . I started focusing on that I might be in trouble here and my anxiety skyrocketed . I quit the probiotics and symptoms subsided but I thought the probiotics might have started working , my stools were firmer and more constant . But I thought really this was still problematic , my appetite was going downhill my anxiety was again through the roof and felt this was indeed CC. About 2 weeks after quitting the probiotics I noticed I was a bit constipated , again in my mind it was my stomach readjusting . Last Monday I had a tough time going ( very constipated ) when it finally did come out it was lumpy and I noticed blood in the stool .

I was awake the whole night with worry Dr . Google has made my anxiety to increase tenfold .In the morning I called a Gasto doctor friend and we set up an appointment for that day ( last Monday ) . Because we are friends I think he put on a good face for me and told me not to worry ( HA ! ) . His words " lets prove that is not and do a colonoscopy " . I have spent a better part of the week going through the insurance company and trying to set up the appointment . I am awaiting a call for the doctor's schedule tomorrow and setting up a time . My stomach seems to be still off with gas but my bowel movements are a bit better . I still am not sleeping and filled with worry , what keeps going through my mind is " why did I wait so long to get the colonoscopy ?

Lee

Re: Awaiting Colonospy Date Scared

Postby Lee » Sun May 22, 2016 5:09 pm

Hi and welcome.

Avoid Dr. goggle, you can diagnose yourself with anythings with Dr. goggle. Don't focus on what your should have done, butt rather you are in the motions of getting the scope done. Better late than never. Because you had a scope 16 yrs ago, "IF" it is cancer, it's probably in a early stage. Easier said than done, butt try not to worry. We've all been in your shoes and the waiting is the hardest part.

If you find you do have cancer, you have come to the right place for info and support.

For what it's worth, I had no symptom and was a stage 3. I started developing bleeding hemorrhoids, my GP ran ever test that should have been a warning flag for colon cancer. They all came back negative or normal. GP figured my bleeding hemorrhoids were going to be my excuse to get my baseline colonoscopy early in life. That referral saved my life. And that was 12 yrs ago. I'm very much alive and kicking today.

Many yrs prior to my diagnoses, my mother ended up in the ER with serious stomach pain and a lot of rectal bleeding. The Dr was sure it was colon cancer, the scope was to prove it. There was no cancer, not even one polyp, just a bad case of diverticulosis. Changed her diet, never had a problem again. I suspect something like that is probably what is happening to you. Especially considering your stress level and other issues. Butt please get the scope, that will give a true diagnoses of what is going on. Anything else is just speculation.

NOT NOW, butt if you ever consider quitting smoking, I recommend Chantix. I've been an ex smoker for 9 yrs now. You've got too much on your plate at this time to even consider it.

All the best to you, try not to worry.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Sun May 22, 2016 5:19 pm

Hi and welcome.

Your fear is so vivid in your post. I'm glad you're getting the colonoscopy done. THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR IT!. I suspect you have a bit of a chicken and egg" thing going on. You seem to be under a lot of stress, you're not sleeping and you're losing weight. Stress can be a powerful appetite suppressant! It can also make it hard to sleep, hard to move, hard to do much productive. You said you were constipated for a while, then when you went there was some blood. Could be colon cancer butt more likely hemorrhoids since you had been constipated. Who knows?? You're doing the smart and right thing now, hopefully all will be fine.

Please keep in touch.

Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

doc1974

Postby doc1974 » Sun May 22, 2016 5:35 pm

Lee & Bev ,

Thanks so much for your replies , I agree with the chicken and egg thing ( weight could be due to stress ) . I made a mistake in the post , it was 14 years ago for the scope not 16 . But I guess at this point it does not matter . Weight loss does scare me , as I spoke with my G.I. guy I was worried about late stage due to the significant weight loss but he says , not necessarily true!

The smoking , just went back last August after a 2 year quit . I was working on it just recently , that went out the window !

orcasres

Postby orcasres » Sun May 22, 2016 5:37 pm

Hi,

There are really lots of reasons our there for your symptoms besides colon cancer, so I it is REALLY good that you are getting scoped soon. Please let us know how it goes. One suggestion is that you follow the prep instructions to the letter if at all possible. The better the prep the better the results.

Lois
63 yo F
Colon resection Sept. 2010
pT3N0M0 Stage 2A
Medullary Tumor 6.5cm long
Lymphovascular invasion
Lynch negative
12 FOLFOX 11/2010 to 5/2011 8 w/Oxi
NED so far

doc1974

Postby doc1974 » Sun May 22, 2016 5:51 pm

Lois ,

Thank You and hopefully will hear from the doctor's office tomorrow . I know stress reeks havoc on your digestive system and weight .

beck1965

Postby beck1965 » Sun May 22, 2016 7:53 pm

Google is NOT your friend. It wasn't my fiend, although I couldn't stay off of it for some odd reason. I've learned to take it one step at a time. Try to focus on something else during the interim. Keep us posted
*50 y/o Female
*Sigmoid Mass found on routine colonoscopy/Feb 2016
*4cm villious lesion found at the rectosigmoid
*Surgery three weeks later to remove 13" of Sigmoid/resection
*Used DaVinci Robotic surgery
*Stage 1 rectosigmoid cancer/T1/N0/M0 = 18 negative nodes
*Acute renal failure during recovery, unknown reason[/b]
*Clear colonoscopy one year post resection!!
*Normal CEA's since surgery
*NED two years out.

Just.GiGi

Postby Just.GiGi » Sun May 22, 2016 10:22 pm

I was really scared of the colonoscopy, and embarrassed but everyone was kind and supportive, it went well. But then I had to return the next week to have the spot tattooed since a small polyp had aggressive cancer cells. I didn't go in for that, I was anemic and the doc wanted to see if I was bleeding from the colon, I was not, but the cancer was found while still small. The worst was the stuff you had to drink to clean the bowl out, twice!! Then I was referred to a surgeon and had 6 inches of large colon removed because the cancer was considered aggressive. Again more poop juice. All within 4 months from start to surgery. I had surgery May 5, 2016 and didn't realize the pain and bowl problems that were to face me! Oxycodone for pain works great but also constipates, so pain or poop! I am now trying to take motrin for pain and allow the bowl to move. No one warned me about the being tied to the toilet syndrome. There are times I think I have to go and end up passing gas, or rabbit pellets that feels like bowling balls. Riding in the car is a nightmare, every bump in the road shoots wave of pain up my body. By the time I was at the doc office for post surgery check up, I was in tears. I have a few more doc apps. coming up but will take oxycodone and hour before I leave!! At first my mind was numb, I had no desire to think or move or go anywhere. I am careful to move since all I heard recommends it. My mind is better, I now want to do something, but my body says, "forget it"! I think the worst was the surgeon implied all would be normal after 2 weeks, NOT. I have communicated with many that had this surgery and they all agree 6 to 8 weeks and bathroom habits even longer. The path report had come back and I am cancer free, they got it all because it was found so early. Lymph nodes clear too. So once I get over the surgery I am good. Just get over the surgery! it helps to read comments by people on web sites of docs that do this surgery. Many have it much worse than me, and helps to understand my surgeon was way too optimistic which caused me depression. Now I understand it is going to take longer and things to do and look for to help me get there.

Female
diagnosed CC from colonoscopy
small polyp removed, Doc said surprised to find cancer cells
pathology report positive
Surgery May 2016
6 " of colon removed/resection

I am fearfully and wonderfully made: Psalm 139:14

khadars
Facebook Username: khadar2k1

Postby khadars » Sun May 22, 2016 10:35 pm

Get it done ASAP. It is always better to know than to not know.

Stare the fear into its face. Blessings.
3/2015 - Rectal Cancer @ 26yr old.
5/2015 - Clinical Trial (FOLFOX Only)
9/2015 - LAR with TME (Stage IIIB, RC) w/ Loop Ileostomy
2/2016 - Ileostomy Reversal
5/2016 - Stage IVb

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Mon May 23, 2016 9:34 am

Welcome to the board.*hugs* I'm glad you are going to get a colonoscopy.*hugs* Hope you don't have to wait long to get it done. Definitely stay away from google because it will just cause you to worry more!*hugs* Good luck with your colonoscopy. Please let us know how you make out.*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

Utwo

Postby Utwo » Mon May 23, 2016 10:31 am

Both times colonoscopy was fun.
They have not completely knocked me out. So I was able to hear them and knew how many "polips" they discovered and removed and what challenges they were facing.
I even glanced once at the monitor, but decided not to look.
The picture did not look pretty.
Post colonoscopy photo prints were of higher quality with different hues of red and yellow.

You should not worry unless you have stage 4 diagnosis.
However even in this case you should not worry.
Just accept a hand you are dealt.
58 yo male at diagnosis: T1bN0M0, 0/15 nodes, low grade/moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma
03/2016 colonoscopy: 2 small polyps removed in left colon; CEA = 1.3
04/2016 colonoscopy: caecum sessile 3.5 cm polyp piecemeal removed with kind of clear margins
05/2016 "prophylactic" laparoscopic right hemicolectomy - bleeding, leak, infection
06/2017 CT scan, colonoscopy OK; CEA = 1.6
A lot of funny stuff discovered by CT scans in liver, kidney, lungs, arteries, gallbladder, lymph node, pancreas

horizon

Postby horizon » Mon May 23, 2016 9:36 pm

Dr. Google is the WORST. I scared myself out of my mind needlessly with a lot of info that ended up not applying to me.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

Thetoad

Postby Thetoad » Tue May 24, 2016 1:14 am

Just adding my bit, which is to agree with the previous posts. Keep away from Dr Google, I didn't and scared myself silly. I still look 30 months after surgery but have probably read them all! Also, the one colonoscopy I have had was no problem. Looking forward to your reports...
Emergency extended rt hemi November 2013.
Complete blockage, small perforation.
Stage 2a.
T3N0M0
22 Lymph nodes clear.
No bag.

Yearly appts appts and 6 monthly CEA tests.
Incisional hernia repair, mesh Nov. 2014.
Cellulitus
CEA 1.4 on 28/7/17
27/5/17. Gallbladder removed, open.
Good consultation Feb. 2017
CEA 1.7 on 16/11/17 colonoscopy ok Jan. 2018 :)
Nurse pleased, March 2018. CEA 1.8. One more CEA test and hopefully last appt in November, 2018.
Prostate cancer, Gleason 7 (3+4) Sept. '18.

doc1974

Postby doc1974 » Wed May 25, 2016 10:15 am

Thank You all for your replies. I worked out a date for colonoscopy but was not too pleases with it The out patient center had a closer date but had to pay alot out of pocket upfront . If I get it where I work it is almost nothing. The only problem is the earliest date is June 20th . I suspect my GI guy was not too worried or else he would have bumped it up . I am not sure I can wait that long . Still a bit constipated but have managed to go a few times ( no blood ) . My stomach is always making noise though and I am not very hungry . I manage to eat here and there but not too much . I am hoping that I haven't waited too long and that the procedure date will not make things worse with my stomach. I have been having reoccurring GERD symptoms , burping and release of chest discomfort when I do burp. My stomach always feels knotted with a dull discomfort . I am still very anxious and a month is going to kill me!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”