G'day

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
AussieAssCancer

G'day

Postby AussieAssCancer » Sat May 21, 2016 10:44 am

Finally got off my butt and actually registered, having found this place some time ago and spent more than a few hours stalking the various posts.

I was diagnosed last October and have just completed my 2nd (of 9) adjuvant FOLFOX cycles, due to me having 3 prior to surgery, which from what I've read is a little different to what most of the other butt cancer peeps here have experienced. My docs were worried that it had already spread but wasn't showing up on CT/MRI etc and so decided to pull out al the stops.

Fortunately the neoadjuvant treatment worked a treat and I had a complete pathological response, and other than overdosing on morphine following surgery, I've been pretty fortunate side effects wise throughout this whole fiasco.

My first Rd of 'mop-up' chemo was a shocker though, but we worked out that it was because they gave me the same dose as previously, but now I was 10kg lighter, having become considerably svelte thanks to my ileostomy. I finished my 2nd Rd (reduced to match my new weight) three days ago and other than fatigue, I seem to be travelling as well as the first 3 rds so that's at least promising. Provided the body holds up, I should be finished chemo at the end of August.

Anyways, I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi, and more importantly, thank you for sharing your stories. It really made a difference when I was initially diagnosed, particularly reading about people at the same stage, or worse, who remain NED.

Wishing all of you, and your colons/rectums/ostomys, all the best.

GK
Dx Oct '15 w/ Stage 3c RC/ CEA 8
Nov '15 - Jan '16: 3x FOLFOX and 5wks Chemoradiation w/ Xeloda
March '16: ULAR w/ temp ileostomy
Complete pathological response incl 0/12 nodes
May - Aug '16: 9x FOLFOX (dropped Oxaliplatin for final Rd due to neuropathy)
Clear CT scans in April ‘16 (NED), Dec ‘16, Aug ‘17, Feb ‘18, March ‘19, Feb ‘20
Feb '17: Ileostomy reversed
CEA Post Surgery: ALWAYS 2

Blog: kickingrectalcancerintheassblog
https://kickingrectalcancerintheassblog.wordpress.com/

midlifemom

Re: G'day

Postby midlifemom » Sat May 21, 2016 11:21 am

GK, welcome!
Stage 3 cc - dx Jan '14 age 53, cea 2.9
t2n2m0, KRAS mutant, MSS
Folfox Feb - Aug '14
Nov '14 cea 27.7 -2 liver masses
Dec '14 left lobectomy and HAI
Jan '15 FUDR and FOLFIRI
Aug '15 fudr done, liver clear, add avastin for lungs. Cea 4.3
Feb '16 CEA rising
May '16 2 wk break then drop Iri for 6 weeks.
Jul '16 cancer grew, constricted main bile duct. Stent inserted. On break till jaundice clears. CEA climbing. Doing reduced Folfox. Allergic to Oxali.
Sep'16 chemo failed. Trial or hospice?

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat May 21, 2016 6:15 pm

G'day to you too and welcome. Glad you came out of lurking mode.

I was diagnosed with stage 3C rectal cancer 12 yrs ago and am doing great today. There are many people beating this, and you will too.

Remember, one day at a time,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

justin case

Postby justin case » Sat May 21, 2016 6:50 pm

AussieAssCancer wrote:Finally got off my butt and actually registered, having found this place some time ago and spent more than a few hours stalking the various posts.

I was diagnosed last October and have just completed my 2nd (of 9) adjuvant FOLFOX cycles, due to me having 3 prior to surgery, which from what I've read is a little different to what most of the other butt cancer peeps here have experienced. My docs were worried that it had already spread but wasn't showing up on CT/MRI etc and so decided to pull out al the stops.

Fortunately the neoadjuvant treatment worked a treat and I had a complete pathological response, and other than overdosing on morphine following surgery, I've been pretty fortunate side effects wise throughout this whole fiasco.

My first Rd of 'mop-up' chemo was a shocker though, but we worked out that it was because they gave me the same dose as previously, but now I was 10kg lighter, having become considerably svelte thanks to my ileostomy. I finished my 2nd Rd (reduced to match my new weight) three days ago and other than fatigue, I seem to be travelling as well as the first 3 rds so that's at least promising. Provided the body holds up, I should be finished chemo at the end of August.

Anyways, I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi, and more importantly, thank you for sharing your stories. It really made a difference when I was initially diagnosed, particularly reading about people at the same stage, or worse, who remain NED.

Wishing all of you, and your colons/rectums/ostomys, all the best.

GK

I had 3 Folfox prior to Radiation, and Folfox all through the radiation experience, then surgery, and 12 rounds of 5 FU to seal the deal. Finished almost 4 years ago, good luck !
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

Ron50

Postby Ron50 » Sat May 21, 2016 7:03 pm

G'day Aussie,
Sorry you have to be here but welcome. I am a st3c colon cancer sufferer or was , I have been clear over 18 years. I'm up on the Sunshine coast in Qld. All the best with your treatment, Ron.
dx 1/98
st 3 c 6 nodes
48 sessions 5Fu/levamisole
no recurrence cea <.5
numerous l/t side effects of chemo

jhocno197

Postby jhocno197 » Sat May 21, 2016 9:46 pm

G'day! Your name is fantastic :). Hope your treatments continue to go well.
DH - dx Dec 2014, stage IV with bladder & peritoneal involvement - non-resectable
Colostomy
FOLFOX failed
FOLFIRI failed
Tumor actually distending pelvic skin
Not a candidate for last-ditch pelvic exenteration
Stivarga finally begun 2/19/16
Tumor growing/fungating
Lonsurf started 11/18/16
Died 3/10/17

del

Postby del » Sun May 22, 2016 8:16 am

Sounds like you are coping very well, GK. I'm in Sydney and had ULAR surgery around the same time as you. I agree that this forum is an amazing resource and source of inspiration and it has helped me a lot. Wishing you all the best with your treatment!
Male, 33 @ dx, stage 1 RC (T1N0M0 mod. diff. 0/29 LNs)
2016-02 - Cancerous polyp removed during colonscopy, 0.5 mm margin
2016-03 - ULAR & TME surgery, temp ileostomy
2016-04 - DVT, pulmonary embolism
2016-11 - Ileostomy reversal
2018-10 - Another DVT & PE
2021 - 5 years of clean scopes/scans/bloods

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Sun May 22, 2016 9:55 am

G'Day to you too Aussie and welcome to the board! Glad you are doing so well!*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

chrisca

Postby chrisca » Tue May 24, 2016 3:40 am

Welcome, mate. I've been to Oz twice. Great country, and great people. I hope to get there again someday. Keep us posted and we'll help out any way we can. I'm having my last CT scan in two days and if it's clear, will be declared cured. Other than the nasty LAR syndrome, things are doing pretty well but even at five years, I'm learning about things such as folic acid deficiency that are just now being treated and hopefully will help a bit. Get some extensive blood work after a year or two and check everything, including the kitchen sink to be sure anything out of the ordinary is caught and addressed.
Male, false negative colonoscopy age 48
DX: 12/2010 rectal cancer age 51
Stage T3N0M0 2 cm from anal verge
neoadjuvant rad/chemo Xeloda
Rectal resection (open surgery) straight anastomosis
Xeloda round 2
ileostomy reversal 11/2011
Successful adhesion X-lap 8/2013
Ongoing LAR syndrome but NED 10 years

AussieAssCancer

Postby AussieAssCancer » Fri May 27, 2016 11:58 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys! Great to hear from each of you, particularly the great news from Lee and Ron.

Chrisca - I hope your CT scans came back clear.

Rd 3 starts on Monday, can't say I'm looking forward to it but it will be nice to cross it off the list
Dx Oct '15 w/ Stage 3c RC/ CEA 8
Nov '15 - Jan '16: 3x FOLFOX and 5wks Chemoradiation w/ Xeloda
March '16: ULAR w/ temp ileostomy
Complete pathological response incl 0/12 nodes
May - Aug '16: 9x FOLFOX (dropped Oxaliplatin for final Rd due to neuropathy)
Clear CT scans in April ‘16 (NED), Dec ‘16, Aug ‘17, Feb ‘18, March ‘19, Feb ‘20
Feb '17: Ileostomy reversed
CEA Post Surgery: ALWAYS 2

Blog: kickingrectalcancerintheassblog
https://kickingrectalcancerintheassblog.wordpress.com/

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”