Alkaline diet and body's pH level.

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Jleefitness
Facebook Username: Jonathan Woon Lee

Alkaline diet and body's pH level.

Postby Jleefitness » Thu May 05, 2016 7:26 am

I'm sure everybody had heard about cases of changing your pH level by alkalining your blood by use of sodium bicarbonate and eating high alkaline foods. So my question is, is this all quackery or can you truly change your body'a pH level just by eating foods? Does juicing and eating a diet consisting of only green leaves, fruits and veggie van actually shrink or kill tumor cells? Have anyone actually changed their diets like this and saw any improvements or benefits? How about the amount of exercises one do? Chime in please. :)

angie1975

Re: Alkaline diet and body's pH level.

Postby angie1975 » Thu May 05, 2016 7:37 am

I eat alot of greens, I juice and I also drink wheatgrass. I can't say for sure if it has helped with tumor shrinkage. But I definitely have more energy when I eat this way and it has gotten me through my chemo treatment. I had a clean scan in April, and will continue to eat this way cause it makes me feel good.
Stage 3 RC, DX 9/15/15
Prospect Trial, Folfox only
Surgery 2/11/16, successful w/clean margins
1/13 nodes positive
4/11/16clean scan, NED
7/13/16, CLEAN SCAN NED
7/21/21 clean scan released by Doc
6 years NED

Mastan

Postby Mastan » Thu May 05, 2016 9:39 am

One cannot change your systems pH by what you eat. Your body has a feedback mechanism to maintain neutrality. It does this by ion exchange to and from your bones. I don't recall how close to 7.0 it must stay but it cannot deviate too much otherwise life is not sustainable. That said eating healthy greens is always a good idea.
Dx 6/2010 rectal CA

WriterGirl1969

Postby WriterGirl1969 » Thu May 05, 2016 10:41 am

Jleefitness wrote:I'm sure everybody had heard about cases of changing your pH level by alkalining your blood by use of sodium bicarbonate and eating high alkaline foods. So my question is, is this all quackery or can you truly change your body'a pH level just by eating foods? Does juicing and eating a diet consisting of only green leaves, fruits and veggie van actually shrink or kill tumor cells? Have anyone actually changed their diets like this and saw any improvements or benefits? How about the amount of exercises one do? Chime in please. :)

I'm certainly not as versed as some, but my Grandfather (maternal) had bone cancer (dx in his 60's) and went on a Macrobiotic diet. Ten years later, at his bone scan, they told him that his bones looked better than most men his age without cancer. He ended up living (if memory serves) over 15 years after diagnosis (late 70's close to 80 when he passed). Can this be directly attributed to the diet? Who can say for certain? It definitely didn't hurt him! :)
DX 3/4/2016 Colon Cancer; age 46 Mom of then 4-yr-old
Stage IIIB: T3N1M0
3/31/16 Surgery
4 to 10/2016: Xeloda Monotherapy
CEA: 10/16 0.56, 1/17 0.54
CT CLEAR: 3/6/17; 4/17/18; 4/16/19
NED 3 years
“If I can help somebody as I walk along, then my living shall not be in vain.”

Jachut
Facebook Username: hutchinson@aanet.com.au

Postby Jachut » Thu May 05, 2016 4:28 pm

I think its one of those things that there's a grain of truth to and then people take it and flog it to death as a miracle cure for everything.

You cant really go wrong eating a diet high in alkaline foods - as they're the healthy fruit and veg and so forth. But if your body was really in acidosis, you'd know about it!

jhocno197

Postby jhocno197 » Thu May 05, 2016 8:38 pm

It is quackery. If our bodies' ph changes much, we die. Urine ph changes, yes, but not our body ph.
DH - dx Dec 2014, stage IV with bladder & peritoneal involvement - non-resectable
Colostomy
FOLFOX failed
FOLFIRI failed
Tumor actually distending pelvic skin
Not a candidate for last-ditch pelvic exenteration
Stivarga finally begun 2/19/16
Tumor growing/fungating
Lonsurf started 11/18/16
Died 3/10/17

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Thu May 05, 2016 10:53 pm

IM not in a good place right now, so forgive me if my answer offends anyone. I don't believe crap about anything as far as natural cures. It's bs. Like the MJ shit, it's all those potheads who think MJ cures everything. Well then, why do so many users ever get sick since it's the fricken cure all! No proof of any of these claims, plus, if these things showed actual proof there would be more scientific proof to back up these stupid claims! Are any of these cures currently in trial (which would have had to show at least some indication of helping). Until there is a long term study which shows evidence of helping, it's just individual claims. AND most come from those who are doing it AFTER surgery or chemo so that can't claim it CURED them! If it doesn't harm you, go for it, but as far as a cure, think twice and look into the actual data and people who claim such.

Sophy

Postby Sophy » Fri May 06, 2016 5:53 am

Nik has answered this perfectly. We would all love a simple, easy and cheap cure for cancer. Baking soda would be an amazing cure - but sadly it isn't a cure.

Sophy
dx T3N1M0 Feb 2011 when children age 11, 7 and 2
Xeloda/rad March 11, LAR June 11 temp ileo
Xelox 6 rounds, NED
Lung mets Oct 13
Laser surgery Germany Jan 14. 3 mets left lung.
Laser surgery UK Jun and Aug 14 one met each lung, NED
Aug 14 Started Xeloda and Celebrex (ADAPT)
June 20 CT shows nodule, bronchoscopy confirms is scar tissue, still NED
Dec 20 stopping Xeloda continue celebrex, cimetedine
Aug 21,March 23 scans show still NED
March 2023 CURED - discharged from Oncology, no more scans or follow up

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Fri May 06, 2016 11:32 pm

Sophy wrote:Nik has answered this perfectly. We would all love a simple, easy and cheap cure for cancer. Baking soda would be an amazing cure - but sadly it isn't a cure.

Sophy

Thank you, I hope I didn't come across too harsh :shock:

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Fri May 06, 2016 11:35 pm

I just wanted to add to what I said. I am in no way saying things cannot help with symptoms or such, just speaking about curing cancer itself.

AppleTree

Postby AppleTree » Sat May 07, 2016 11:23 am

It is hard for me when I am out or visiting...and people who know I have cancer tell me to eat this, don't eat that, do this, do that. I try to eat healthy, but we all only live once. I do not eat a lot of sweets, sugar, desserts, etc. But, if I want to - please do not take that pleasure away from me! I believe my doctors are doing what they believe will work best for my cancer. Hopefully, it will work! In the meantime, I will enjoy my pleasures. For example, my son really enjoys going out for a scoop of ice cream on the weekends. Please don't tell him that my eating sugar will cause my tumor to grow and will kill me! Believe or not - it has been said to him. Sigh.
Diag Feb 5, 2016 Age 45
3 cm tumor 5 cm from verge
Radiation + Xeloda pills - 3000mg 5x week
3/14 - 4/16 - 25 sessions
Shrank just over 50% L nodes 0/13
Remove rectum with temp Ileo 6/17
Reversal 7/20 due to infection
Acute hepatitis August. Chemo cancelled
June to September 2016 - 58 days in hospital

6/16, MRI shadow in lung
Pet - 6.6mm Met in Upper R lobe
7/30 VAT surgery Mass General/Boston
8/24 port
8/30 - 4/28 Folfox. 12 rounds
June CT shows new lung Mets.
July/Oct PETs...CLEAR!

AnnClare

Postby AnnClare » Sat May 07, 2016 3:14 pm

AppleTree - I'm sorry that someone was so insensitive to say that to your son. I agree - life is short and we all need to find ways to enjoy it as best we can, especially under these crappy and scary circumstances.

When I was first diagnosed, I thought I was going to 'cure' myself with a raw vegan diet. I was MISERABLE, not to mention losing weight. After a lot of research (and soul searching), I came to the conclusion that what was best for me was to eat intuitively. While I was going through chemoradiation last fall, I found that healthy stuff did NOT appeal to me. Not wanting to waste away, I ate whatever DID appeal to me. Once I was finished treatment, my appetite for healthy food returned. Now that I'm in chemo, I'm back in that boat. Some days all I can think about are French fries. Other days, fish with steamed rice sounds heavenly.

My point is, don't stress about what you eat. We know that stress is bad for us, so better to enjoy your food and not worry than to micro manage every morsel you put in your mouth (as I did in the beginning).
Good luck to you and please keep us posted. And keep enjoying that ice cream!
42 yr. old female
Rectal cancer Stage 3C T3 N1 M0 - Sept 2015
28 rounds radiation w/Xeloda - Nov - Dec 2015
2/17/16 - Surgery to remove rectal tumor, lymph nodes (2/20+), ovaries & fallopian tubes, temp. ileostomy
3/28/16 - 9/26/16 -12 rounds FOLFOX w/full oxi
Ileo reversal 10/27/16; Port removed 12/1/16
Lung mets confirmed 2/6/17
March-May 2017 - brain mets; brain rad. 5/9-5/29/17

Jleefitness
Facebook Username: Jonathan Woon Lee

Postby Jleefitness » Sat May 07, 2016 6:32 pm

Thanks everybody for their input. I really appreciate everyone giving me their honest answers. Im just trying to help my wife any way I can because I do feel helpless and doing research and trying to find holistic approaches to help her in conjuction with her treatments. But I honestly don't know how much supplements or eating right can actually make that much of a difference or hell at all.

Mastan

Postby Mastan » Sat May 07, 2016 9:02 pm

Jleefitness wrote:Thanks everybody for their input. I really appreciate everyone giving me their honest answers. Im just trying to help my wife any way I can because I do feel helpless and doing research and trying to find holistic approaches to help her in conjuction with her treatments. But I honestly don't know how much supplements or eating right can actually make that much of a difference or hell at all.

Please consult the Onc. about supplements. Some of them are contraindicated when on chemo.
Dx 6/2010 rectal CA

jhocno197

Postby jhocno197 » Sat May 07, 2016 9:14 pm

Search for rp1954 posts. Very helpful info about supplements. Also search Grouseman.
DH - dx Dec 2014, stage IV with bladder & peritoneal involvement - non-resectable
Colostomy
FOLFOX failed
FOLFIRI failed
Tumor actually distending pelvic skin
Not a candidate for last-ditch pelvic exenteration
Stivarga finally begun 2/19/16
Tumor growing/fungating
Lonsurf started 11/18/16
Died 3/10/17

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”